The average U.S. wedding cake costs around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online service that matches customers with local professionals. On the lower end, couples spend around $125 and on the higher end, they typically spend upward of $700—often over $1,000! —on their wedding cake.
How much does the average wedding cake cost in Australia?
Before deciding how much to spend on your cake consider what is included in that cost. The average wedding cake around Australia costs $537. Couples in Western Australia and Victoria can expect to pay a bit above average for a cake.
How much should I charge for a sheet cake?
The average price per slice for wedding cakes ranges from $1.50 to $3.50. Be aware that bakers usually just provide “base pricing”, so any special flavors, frosting, or decorations would increase the price. Sheet cakes are less expensive options to having a traditional wedding cake.
Why do wedding cake prices vary so much?
The thing about wedding cake prices is that there’s a lot of variation depending on the kind of bake you want. It’s not just about the size, although that does play a part; the style and finish can also affect the cost. The experience and location of your cake maker may influence the price, too.
How much cake do you really need for a wedding?
The secret is assuming guests will only need about half a slice—so if you have a guest list of 300, order cake for 150 people and serve it in ‘half-servings.’ (Generally speaking, people will leave slices half-eaten on the table anyway.) Or, you can have the wedding cake of your dreams made on a small scale for a price you can comfortably afford.
What is a reasonable price for a wedding cake?
There are a lot of factors that go into determining the average wedding cake prices. The average overall cost landing at $540. The range is as low as $1.50 and as high as $12.00 per slice. It’s always best to have a clear idea of how many guests you are expecting before you book your catering or put a deposit on your banquet hall.
What is the best cake for a wedding?
encourages Lee. If you’re a classic couple that wants to stick with tradition, you may want to choose a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. Some other tried-and-true options include lemon cake with raspberries and strawberry shortcake, says Halabi.
How much wedding cake do I actually need?
When you hire a wedding cake baker, he or she will ask you how many servings you would like for your guests. The majority of guests at a wedding do not take a slice of cake, so you can usually order enough cake for 77 to 85 percent of them.
How to make a wedding cake on a budget?
– Keep it simple: The more tiers and elaborate design, the more expensive it will be. – Get 2 cakes. Baking a smaller tiered cake for the photos and anniversary, and serving your guests the same flavors via sheet-cake will keep costs to a minimum. – Think fresh. Real flowers are less costly than those created with icing. – Decorate with buttercream.
How much does a wedding cake cost?
- Not only is your wedding cake a delectable treat to enjoy on the big day, but it’s also becoming an increasingly important aspect of your overall wedding design.
- When it comes to cakes, you want something that can bring your theme or color scheme to life while still tasting delicious.
- Consider your wedding cake as a distinct expense from your decorating or style budget, rather than as a component of those expenses.
It is possible for your cake to serve as both a treat for your guests and a beautiful centerpiece, blurring the borders between catering and decorating.As a result, determining a budget might be challenging.In order to answer this question, how much does a wedding cake cost?This article will provide you with an overview of what other couples have done in the past to give you an idea of what you should spend and what size you should consider for your special day.
What’s the average cost of a wedding cake?
- Wedding cakes can vary in price based on cake size, serving sizes, and what embellishments are incorporated in the design.
- Will you be serving coffee sized servings or offering your cake for dessert?
- How many guests do you need to serve?
Are you having a topper or do you want fresh flowers in your décor as well?Before determining how much to spend on your cake evaluate what is included in that expense.The average wedding cake throughout Australia costs $537.Couples in Western Australia and Victoria should expect to pay a tad above average for a cake.Those in other states will come in below average with couples in the Northern Territory paying the least money on their wedding cake.
Victoria – $553 New South Wales – $533 Queensland – $511 South Australia – $467 Western Australia – $581 Australian Capital Territory – $461 Tasmania – $498 Northern Territory – $429 Don’t forget to consider delivery in with your cake pricing as well.It may be tempting to minimize expenses by having someone pick it up yourself but many providers don’t actually allow this.Don’t run the chance and pay the extra for delivery, you won’t regret it!
How many tiers should my cake have?
- The amount of layers your cake should have is determined by the number of servings you desire as well as the overall look of your event.
- Cakes with two barrels have grown quite popular, and because of the stacked cake impression, it may appear as though the cake is only one tier in reality.
- Tiered cakes atop these twin barrels are likewise quite popular amongst customers.
The number of couples you can serve with a double barrelled cake increases since there is more cake to go around.However, keep in mind that a taller layer will cost you a little more money.To give you an idea of what you might desire, 48 percent of all couples opt to have a three-tiered wedding cake, according to the National Wedding Registry.The majority of couples choose a two-tiered cake, followed by 12 percent who choose a four-tiered cake, and just 9 percent who choose a single tiered cake.Wedding cakes can also be offered in a variety of sizes to accommodate different sized groups.
It’s important to consider whether you’ll be serving your cake for dessert or as an accompaniment to coffee.If you are serving coffee cake as dessert, keep in mind that the amounts are smaller and your visitors may be left wanting more.However, it might also be a very effective approach to distribute a smaller cake to a larger number of visitors.
What is a ‘sheet’ cake?
- If you want more cake but do not wish to compromise the aesthetics of your cake design, a sheet cake may be the best option.
- An individual sheet cake is a single-layered rectangular cake that your baker may make for you in the same flavor or flavors as your decorative cake, or in a different flavor altogether.
- This can be kept hidden in the kitchen and only sliced into pieces before the cake is presented.
It essentially means that you may have more cake for your special day while saving money on the size and decorations of the actual cake that will be on display.This is a fantastic choice for weddings with a large number of guests, and it may also allow you to save money on your wedding cake by choosing a smaller, more beautiful cake.Inquire with your cake provider about what would be more appropriate for your wedding, and inquire about the facilities available at your location for cake storage in the kitchen.
What flavours and trends are popular?
- Despite the fact that fruit cake used to be the standard flavor for wedding cakes in the past, just 5 percent of couples had a fruit cake for their wedding.
- Instead, 69 percent of couples choose a mud cake in either a chocolate or vanilla flavor, according to the survey.
- Other flavors, such as lemon or raspberry, are preferred by 21% of the couples polled.
A flourless or gluten-free cake makes up 5% of the total.In recent years, we’ve seen an increase in the popularity of mixed-flavor cakes, with combinations such as raspberry and champagne getting us in the mood for a cake tasting.Couples still like the look of naked cakes and rough frosting when it comes to cake decorating.The rustic, retro, and bohemian themes that are popular today would work beautifully with these cake designs.The opposite end of the wedding spectrum is dominated by white and mixed metallic cake designs that lend a touch of opulence to the celebration.
We’re seeing more of these at weddings, whether they’re conventional, beautiful, or futuristic.Couples who are not fond of sweets are also opting for a cheese cake for their wedding cake, which is becoming increasingly popular.In fact, we are completely on board with this trend.
What to look for in a cake supplier
- Seventy percent of couples will hire a cake vendor for their wedding day celebration.
- They are impressed when the baker can collaborate with the designer or decorator to synchronize the cake decorations with the other aspects of their event.
- Additionally, having a range of flavors to pick from as well as distinct flavors for different tiers has been a popular preference among couples in the past.
In order to determine whether or not couples have had problems with cake vendors in the past, check reviews for cake suppliers.One red flag to look out for is if you are not given the opportunity to sample the cake before purchasing it.Have a different flavor or different décor than what was originally planned without contacting the couple are some things to keep an eye out for.
Wedding Planning is Expensive
- If you are new to wedding planning, I am confident that you will be taken aback by the whole expense of organizing a ceremony and reception. My wedding cost me less than $5,000, as I’ve revealed throughout my wedding series of blogs. That was just a year ago! And, no, it wasn’t a backyard barbecue, as you might expect. Having a cheap wedding was possible because I conducted extensive research, identified high-quality alternatives, and was ready to do a number of DIY tasks. It took some time, but I did not drain my funds or place an undue financial strain on my family. Throughout this post, I will be completely honest and forthright about one of the most surprisingly costly items on your list: the wedding cake! But, before you begin, make a note of these additional articles to read later. 8 Proven Strategies for Saving Money for Your Wedding
- The Most Comprehensive Cost Breakdown of All Wedding Decorations & Favors
How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
- The cost of a wedding cake varies depending on the flavors, size, and embellishments. In 2020, you may anticipate to spend anywhere from $300 to $800 for a standard wedding cake, which is a reasonable estimate. Each of the following eight elements can have an impact on the cost of a wedding cake: Sheet cakes are available in a variety of flavors and decorations, and a cake stand is included in the price.
- The size of your wedding cake is the most important thing to consider when determining the cost of your wedding cake.
- Most bakers use a ″price per slice″ pricing scale to calculate their prices, while others still price cakes solely on the basis of their size.
- A stacked tiered cake (6″x8″x10), for example, cost $280 before I selected flavors, added decorations, or paid for delivery and setup.
For the sake of comparison, my 6″x8″x10″ wedding cake was designed to feed 78 people.In addition, it is vital to remember that the shape of the cake might have an impact on the price.Round cakes are the least expensive, followed by square cakes, and then hexagon and other forms, which are the most costly.Aside from being more costly, sugar-free and gluten-free wedding cakes are also more difficult to get.
Cost Per Slice
- The majority of bakeries charge ″per the slice.″ In the above scenario, if you are expecting 200 visitors and the baker charges $2.70 per slice (or ″per serving″), you may expect to pay $540.
- The typical cost of a wedding cake slice ranges from $1.50 to $3.50 per slice, depending on the vendor.
- Keep in mind that bakeries often only give ″basic pricing,″ which means that any additional flavors, frosting, or embellishments will up the price.
- Sheet cakes are a less expensive alternative to a traditional wedding cake in terms of cost.
- Alternatively, they are an excellent choice if you want to purchase a smaller wedding cake for photographs and then have sheet cakes to serve the remainder of your guests!
- Sheet cakes are roughly $50 for 14-inch square sheet and $100 for a 12-inch square sheet.
A 14-inch sheet will serve 48 people, while a 12-inch sheet would serve up to 96 people.
- It is usual for bakers to charge a premium for premium or gourmet tastes, and this is typical practice.
- Unfortunately, the cost of wedding cake varieties varies greatly depending on the taste.
- One response to a query claimed that an additional $6 per slice would be paid, whilst another baker charged an additional $1.50 per slice for any cake that was not normal vanilla in flavor.
To be really honest, your visitors are unlikely to notice whether you spent an extra $2.00 or so per slice to obtain a truly distinct flavor if you don’t tell them.A simple chocolate or vanilla flavor would enough for the majority of folks (just remember to keep your budget in mind!).
- Most bakeries will allow you to bring in your own decorations, but they will charge you for the time it takes them to attach the embellishments on the cake. To give you an example, I created all of the flowers for my wedding and assembled some little floral pieces to be placed on the cake myself. In order to arrange these pieces after the cake had been brought to the venue, the baker charged an additional fee of $35. Here is a list of the factors that might increase the cost of your wedding cake: Wedding topper
- floral arrangements
- gold accents
- fruit arrangements
Many bakeries will provide the option to hire a cake stand, which typically costs approximately $50 per rental. This is an important part of wedding cake cost that many people overlook or overlook completely! Tip: I just went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a gorgeous wooden cake stand for around $15 (with my 40 percent off coupon, of course)!
Set Up and Delivery
The cost of delivery and setup of the cake will range anywhere from $30 to $100 in most cases. If you live a significant distance from the baker, you will almost certainly be required to pay a mileage fee as well. In this post, all of the prices shown are averages based on numerous quotations I obtained last year when searching for a baker or cake shop to produce my wedding cake.
Wedding Cake Prices: How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
- Wedding cake shopping is by certainly one of the most pleasurable jobs associated with wedding preparation – but how much does a wedding cake cost? Something to keep in mind about wedding cake pricing is that they might vary greatly based on the type of cake that you desire. In addition to the size (although this does have a role), the style and finish can have an impact on the price. The price of your cake may also be affected by the experience and location of the cake maker. Having said that, it is easy to have a general notion of what to expect in terms of price. With the aid of industry professionals, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide on wedding cake costs that will help you and your spouse feel certain that what you’re spending is fair and sensible, no matter what your budget is. We’ll also provide you with some suggestions on how to save money along the road! READ ON FOR MORE INFORMATION a collection of 21 little wedding cakes perfect for intimate wedding receptions
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavors That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavours That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- How to Decorate a Plain Wedding Cake in 30 Different Ways
What Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake?
However, while the average cost of a wedding cake is roughly £300, it is becoming increasingly usual for couples to desire a wedding cake that is unique and takes centre stage at their reception – simply search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some absolutely incredible designs! Cakes like these, on the other hand, have a monetary price tag attached to them.
How Much Should I Pay for a Wedding Cake?
- Remember that there is no ″correct″ answer; instead, consider how significant the cake is to your celebration.
- For those of you who enjoy baking or just have a sweet appetite, it may be appropriate to allocate a larger portion of your money to the cake.
- If you and your spouse, on the other hand, are adamantly opposed to the concept of a celebratory sponge, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t celebrate at all!
Take into consideration the occasion for which the cake is being served.Are you utilizing it for ornamental purposes as a dessert table highlight and not intending to serve it to everyone, or are you using it in lieu of your pudding and intending to serve it to each and every person in attendance?
What Factors Affect the Price of a Wedding Cake?
When it comes to purchasing a wedding cake, there are a variety of various aspects that will influence the price you will pay.
The Time of Year
- The cost of wedding cakes does not fluctuate significantly depending on the season, in contrast to certain other types of wedding suppliers that modify their pricing at different seasons of the year.
- Having said that, if you’re getting married during peak wedding season and/or on a weekend, you might expect to notice an increase in prices because wedding cake providers will be at their busiest.
The Location of Your Wedding
- Wedding cake vendors in London and the South East tend to charge greater costs than those in the rest of the nation, however there are a variety of other factors that influence the final price of the cake.
- You should also consider the possibility of additional shipping fees.
- Nicola Nicholls of The Pretty Sugar Cake Company explains that ″location might contribute to the overall cost of the cake because most cake makers will charge a delivery fee depending on round trip mileage/time needed to deliver and set up the cake.″ ″Selecting a vendor that is closer to the venue might be more cost effective in some cases.″ READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
The Wedding Cake Size
- The final cost of your wedding cake will be determined by the size of your wedding cake and the number of guests that will be served by it.
- In order to feed at least 100 wedding guests, you’ll need a wedding cake with three to four layers at a minimum, which will raise your total cost to around £400.
- In the words of Dee Farrance, owner of Sugar High Cakes, ″we always advise and encourage our clients to remember that when you purchase a wedding cake, you are mostly paying for the artist’s time.″ ″It may take up to a week to make a three-tiered wedding cake,″ says the baker.
The Wedding Cake Design
- However, while the size of your wedding cake will be a big element in the pricing, the design of your wedding cake will have the greatest impact on how much it costs you in terms of money.
- The creation of a cake design with a lot of detail, such as handcrafted sugar flowers, hand-piping details, ruffles, and other embellishments, takes significantly longer, which raises the cost of the cake, according to Nicola.
- ″The creation of a single sugar rose might take up to an hour.
Custom sugar flowers, hand piping detail, ruffles, stenciling work, and other labor-intensive elements will increase the cost of the cake, since you are paying for the baker’s time and expertise.″ Naked wedding cakes, for example, may be prepared with significantly less effort than cakes covered in fondant and decorated with handcrafted sugar decorations, resulting in a lower overall cost.You may believe that going custom will increase the cost, and in some circumstances, this is true – but not in all cases.According to Nicola, ″the pricing will always depend on what the design is, whether it is a prior design that has been requested or an entirely new design.″ ″For example, a very basic new design would be less expensive than a prior, more intricate design, which would be more expensive.My cakes are always made to order since there are always certain features that are unique to each cake.″
The Wedding Cake Ingredients
Aside from the design features, the sort of cake you select may make a difference as well. In Nicola’s opinion, fruit cakes and those containing luxury ingredients such as Champagne and liquors will always be more expensive than a vanilla sponge cake for example.
What Type of Wedding Cake Can You Get for Your Budget?
- With the goal of making the process of purchasing your wedding cake as simple and straight forward as possible, we’ve put up a comprehensive list of what you can anticipate from a cake maker for pricing ranging between £100 and more than £1,000.
- While these costs are not the same for all wedding cake vendors due to a variety of elements to take into consideration, they serve as useful guides for couples who are unsure of what they may obtain for their budget.
Wedding Cakes Up to £150
- Instead of fondant, a very basic, single-tiered wedding cake may be had for less than £100.
- It will be frosted with buttercream (or left bare) rather than fondant.
- Although, given that this is the lower end of the spectrum, there isn’t much opportunity for individualized embellishments or show-stoppers, with £100 to spend, you can expect to receive a tiny, basic, and beautiful wedding cake that will serve around 20-30 people on average.
Cake topper and flowers (check with your florist first to ensure that the flowers are appropriate for the cake) may always be used to add interest to a cake.Select a supermarket design and decorate it yourself, or choose a smaller cake design and save money by purchasing a larger cake for less money.A wedding cake that serves up to 120 guests is available from merchants such as Marks & Spencer and Waitrose if you are planning a huge wedding party.However, while this is a fantastic offer for couples who are looking to save money on their wedding cake, the cakes are mass-produced and generally only come in a few basic flavors, such as chocolate or lemon.MORE INFORMATION: Supermarket Wedding Cakes: Low-Cost Wedding Cakes from the High Street
Wedding Cakes for £150 – £300
Increasing your wedding cake budget to around £300 will provide you with additional possibilities. You can anticipate to be able to buy a more elaborate single-tier wedding cake or a tiny two-tier wedding cake with a plain or bare design that serves up to 50 guests.
Wedding Cakes for £300 – £400
- Couples should expect to pay up to £400 for a three-tiered wedding cake that will feed up to 100 guests.
- In Laura’s opinion, ″the design of a three-tier wedding cake costing £400 is likely to be pretty plain, and the finish is frequently buttercream rather than fondant,″ she adds.
- For cakes in this price range, fresh flowers can be used in place of sugar flowers to help keep the cost down, she says.
Wedding Cakes for £450 – £600
- Designing a cake in this pricing category may be quite complicated, according to Ann’s Designer Cakes’ team: ″Our nude, royal iced swirl or drip wedding cakes are an excellent indication of what you can expect to pay in this price range.
- Even though the designs of these cakes are simple, we are able to create something really lovely and special for a couple’s wedding by using fresh fruits, berries, and silk flowers into the design.″ This pricing range is the beginning point for a three-tier fondant cake that will serve 80-120 guests on a budget.
- Couples with a budget of £600 for their wedding cake should expect more design work and a greater variety of flavors than those with a lesser budget.
Wedding Cakes for £700 – £800
Increasing your wedding cake budget to £800 offers you a whole new world of possibilities. Couples should anticipate at least three or four six-inch tiers, sugar work, and flower arrangements — as well as other design components – for this fee. READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
Wedding Cakes for £800 – £1,000
You will receive even more creative work and attention to detail if you increase your wedding cake budget to £1,000 or more.″According to Dee, ″for this price, you should anticipate the majority of four-tier cakes and some simpler five-tier desserts to be available.″ ″These cakes will typically incorporate some time-consuming aspects, such as intricate fondant fabric effects, hand piping patterns, or hand-painted embellishments,″ says the author.More information may be found at ’33 Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Cake Maker ‘.A couple that expects their wedding cake to be a genuine focal point at their celebration, and to really stand out and be adored, should be prepared to pay this amount,″ adds the expert ″Laura expresses herself.
″A great deal of detailed labor goes into these cakes, and they are frequently coated in a great deal of sugar work and intricacy.″
Wedding Cakes Over £1,000
For a wedding cake that costs more than £1,000, you can expect nothing less than an extraordinary confectionary creation.You’ll be dealing with a very experienced and talented cake decorator who is likely to be booked up months in advance of your wedding.Expect at least two consultations to create a completely customized cake: an initial appointment to discuss needs and sample a variety of cake flavors, followed by a second visit to inspect the design and finalize details.The options available at this pricing point are mind-boggling.
These cakes start at seven levels and can incorporate custom-made elements as well as intricately crafted bespoke emblems and logos.A discount on extra sweet goods like as edible favors, cake pops, and cookies may also be available for you to take advantage of.It’s really easy to go over budget on your wedding – so make sure you’ve read our 7 suggestions for staying on track with your budget before planning your big day!
This Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake
Here’s how much you should set aside for your dessert course.Having a cake at your wedding is one of the most common wedding traditions that has been around for quite some time.According to a recent internal survey, 75 percent of couples who tied the knot in the past year included dessert in their reception.If you’re wondering how much the typical wedding cake costs, we conducted a poll of over 15,000 couples who were married in 2021 to find out the answer to that question.
Wedding cakes often cost $500 to $1,000 in total, according to our research (similar to what couples spent in 2019).Of course, this figure is a national average, and the cost of your wedding cake may vary depending on a variety of criteria such as the number of tiers, the kind of cake, and the decorations used.So it should come as no surprise that wedding cakes are often not the same as the ordinary pastries seen at a grocery shop.
Rather, they are confections that have been particularly created.We recommend that you deal with a professional pastry chef or cake designer for your wedding cake because they are professionals in their fields.They can provide you advice on things like the flavor profiles for your wedding cake and the amount of batter you’ll need to make for your 150-person guest list.
A professional wedding cake maker was employed by 81 percent of couples to create their dessert, according to our survey, which was conducted in 2012.While your wedding cake will serve as a sweet treat for your guests, it may also serve as a source of entertainment for those in attendance.According to our research, 77 percent of couples who exchanged their vows in 2021 held a cake-cutting ceremony during their reception.When it comes to your celebration, your wedding cake may also serve as a distinctive piece of decor.
- One in every five couples said they used unique light projections on their wedding cakes, dance floors, and walls, and two percent claimed they had 3-D wedding cake decorations, according to the survey.
- If you want to make the dessert even more unique, you may purchase charming, personalized cake toppers to go with it.
- The typical price of a wedding cake may range anywhere from $1.50 to $12 per slice (which is a vast range, we know), based on a variety of factors, including the type of cake you choose and how many guests will be attending the reception.
- Your baker will work out the specifics, but keep in mind that fondant icing (rather than buttercream frosting), upscale filling tastes, intricate molded forms, brilliant colors, and handcrafted sugar flower detailing will all increase the cost of your dessert.
- Additionally, keep in mind that you’re not just paying for a product, but also for a service—you will pay for the cake designer’s time and work, in addition to a delivery charge.
- What is the most important aspect influencing the price of a wedding cake?
- The amount of people that will be attending your event.
- The average cost of a wedding cake for 50 or less attendees was $319, while a cake for more than 100 guests was $600, according to our research.
- The more the number of people you invite, the greater the amount of money you will spend on cake.
- Are you looking for a way to save money?
- The key to saving money is to purchase a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ For example, if you have a guest list of 300 people, get a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ (Generally speaking, people will leave pieces of pizza on the table that are just half-eaten.) The wedding cake of your dreams will be created on a smaller scale, and the price will be one that you can comfortably afford.
- In addition to the traditional wedding cake, there are additional dessert alternatives to consider for your own special day.
- In fact, 61 percent of couples who were married in 2021 served a dessert other than the conventional wedding cake to their guests as part of their wedding reception.
- Cookies were the most popular non-cake option, with 40 percent of couples included the sweet delicacy in their dessert bar as a result of the survey.
- Cupcakes were provided by four out of every ten couples, while pastries were served by 26 percent.
- Doughnuts, ice cream sandwiches, s’mores, cake pops, and cheesecake are just a few of the other inventive dessert table options available.
- We advocate dealing with a baking specialist, regardless of whatever option you pick, because they can produce exquisite confections to your exact requirements (croquembouche or themed macarons included).
- You’re not sure where to begin?
- Check out our gallery of one-of-a-kind wedding cake designs, or browse through our Real Wedding pages for inspiration (they contain wedding albums from real couples).
- Then, once you’ve made all of your major selections (flavors, wedding cake size, tiers, and decorations), speak with an expert to acquire an estimate and collaborate with them to design the wedding cake of your dreams (hello, cake tasting!
If you are a fan of old-fashioned wedding traditions, you might want to consider keeping the top tier of your wedding cake to share with your guests at a later date.
How Much Do Wedding Cakes Cost?
- Despite the fact that some couples are choosing to forego the traditional wedding cake completely in favor of novel options such as cheese towers and pie stations, the majority of weddings in the United States still feature a wedding cake. Despite the fact that the cake is one of the most time-honored wedding customs in existence, it isn’t quite as well-known as other elements such as the dress, the location, the ceremony, the flowers, and so on. That being said, determining which cake is best for you and your budget is not a simple endeavor, especially given the numerous variables that influence wedding cake cost. Meet the Subject Matter Expert Melissa Redell is a co-owner of The Solvang Bakery, a family bakery in Solvang, California
- she was born in Jamaica and raised in California. Crist owns and operates Top Tier Treats in Los Angeles, where she also works as a pastry chef. She started her business in 2005.
- ″The price of a cake is determined by the complexity of the finished design, the complexity of the cake flavor (for example, white cake with white buttercream filling and frosting versus white cake with Bavarian cream and fresh strawberry filling and buttercream frosting, the latter is approximately 30% more in price), and, of course, the number of tiers (the more tiers, the more difficult to transport and the more time consuming to decorate), and hand delivery to the venue,″ says Melissa Redell of The Solvang In this section, you will get the complete scoop on all of the factors that influence cake cost, so that you can choose just what cake is perfect for your special day.
How Much Does the Average Wedding Cake Cost?
According to Thumbtack, an online business that connects clients with local experts, the typical wedding cake in the United States costs around $350. On the low end, couples spend roughly $125 on their wedding cake, and on the high end, they spend upwards of $700—and sometimes even more than $1,000!—on their wedding cake.
Cake Pricing Factors
- Similar to determining the expenses of all of your other wedding providers, determining the price of your wedding cake is dependent on a variety of criteria. The following is a breakdown of the factors that influence the price. a period of time
- the components (Exotic ingredients or specialty cakes that are vegan or gluten-free will typically cost more.)
- the size of the cake and the number of layers
- the level of complexity in the patterns, colors, and style (for example, if the cake incorporates edible gold leaf or ombre icing, the price may increase.)
- What kind of frosting do you use? (Typically, a fondant or gum paste cake are both more expensive than buttercream.)
- Deliveries, customization, and other costs
- Add-ons such as cake stands and toppers (which may be purchased or rented! )
How to Estimate Costs
- To figure out how much your wedding cake will cost, the first thing you’ll need to do is figure out how many guests will be attending and how many pieces will be served.
- A slice of wedding cake will be required for each and every guest if you are having a sitting meal with a dessert course, and the wedding cake will be the dessert you will be serving.
- (This will raise the cost of your cake because the size of the cake will certainly grow.) However, if you are planning a full dessert station or family-style sweets, it is reasonable to assume that not every visitor will be able to have a slice of cake, which means you will need less cake.
- It’s crucial to remember that most wedding cakes are priced by the slice, not the entire cake.
- According to Bake My Day Baking in Dallas, they typically cost between $2.50 and $8 each slice in the United States, but they may cost as much as $12 per piece with some of the most labor-intensive designs and specialist ingredients.
According to Jamaica Crist, owner of Top Tier Treats in Los Angeles, ″we start with a low price and then add a fee based on the time it takes to produce the design, rather than by the slice.″ In general, the price of a two-tiered or bigger cake tends to range between $7 and $9 each slice, as a starting point.″ It can easily exceed that amount depending on the complexity of the situation.″ It’s a good rule of thumb to remember that the more elaborate and specialized the cake is, the more expensive it will be.Consider the following: wild, intricate forms, unique sugar flower details, fondant icing, and a lot more.Everything on this list will result in a price increase since they are either more labor-intensive or need more expensive materials and ingredients, or a combination of the two.Examples include The Solvang Bakery, where fondant creations cost around $10 per slice and various icing finishes cost approximately $6.
How to Estimate the Right Cake Size
- Thumbtack has provided the following handy serving size breakdown for a classic round-tiered cake to assist you in determining the appropriate amount of cake for your special day. a 5-inch round serves 8 people
- a 6-inch round serves 12 people
- a 7-inch round serves 16 people
- an 8-inch round serves 24 people
- a 9-inch round serves 32 people
- a 10-inch round serves 38 people
- an 11-inch round serves 47 people
- a 12-inch round serves 56 people
- a 13-inch round serves 67 people
- a 14-inch round serves 78 people
- a 15-inch round serves 89 people
What’s Included and What’s Additional
- You should consult with your wedding planner and cake designer to determine exactly what is included in the pricing of your cake, as the inclusions vary from cake designer to cake designer. In general, the following items will be included in the pricing. A design consultation is provided.
- A cake sampling
- the actual cake (of course! )
- and a cake cutting ceremony.
- Items such as a cake stand or display, cutting tools, cake toppers, and an additional top tier (to be saved and eaten on your one-year wedding anniversary, if that’s your thing) may not be included in the estimate you get.
- Inquire with your venue/caterer about the possibility of their providing the cake stand and cutting equipment, which might potentially help you save money.
- To ensure that there are no unexpected, pricey additions to your budget, you should discuss and explain everything with your cake designer before signing the contract and proposal.
5 Ways to Cut Wedding Cake Costs, According to Pro Bakers
The expense of wedding cakes may be putting a strain on your budget, so if you’re searching for methods to save money, there are several options available in the cake sector.
- Serve Half-Servings: A common and simple solution is to serve half-servings, which are smaller slices of cake. When attempting to feed 200 visitors, you simply require a cake that can serve 100 people, as an example. The fact is that most individuals consume only a nibble or two at a time.
- Preferably, you’ll want a ″Display″ cake for photographs and ″cutting,″ as well as a separate sheet cake to serve to your guests (for reference, sheet cake pieces from The Solvang Bakery, for example, cost around $2.75 per person).
- Buttercream is a good choice because it is simple to make. Rather of using fondant to decorate your cake, choose a less expensive icing alternative such as buttercream. Making buttercream instead of fondant might save you hundreds of dollars each slice in costs per slice.
- Reduce the complexity of the design: As an alternative to the multi-tiered, sculptural cake with gold foil all over it that you had in mind, opt for one or two tiers and more basic tastes such as chocolate or vanilla rather than the earl grey with orange cream cheese.
- DIY the Cake: If your venue or caterer permits it, you can make your own cake. It is possible to bake the cake yourself if you are up to the effort, or you can have a buddy who is talented in the baking sector prepare it for you. You could purchase a simple cake from your favorite bakery and decorate it with some exquisite fresh flowers, and it will look just beautiful! Keep in mind that making your own wedding cake might bring a whole new level of stress to your big day that you might not need, and that the money you save might not be worth it.
First and foremost, keep in mind that you do not have to spend a fortune on a delicious and visually stunning wedding cake. Yes, you can have your lovely wedding cake and enjoy it at the same time.
How Much Should I Budget for my Wedding Cake?
- Well, I wish this question were as straightforward as it appears…
- There are a plethora of elements that influence cake cost, most of which I will spare you the details of; nonetheless, it is crucial to understand certain fundamentals before beginning your search for your wedding cake.
- Please keep in mind that this piece is supposed to be lighthearted and a touch comical, so please keep that in mind before continuing….
- First and foremost, make a financial plan!
- The concept behind this is that you should have an idea of how much money you want to spend or how much money you can afford to spend on your cake.
I understand that most people have no clue how much a wedding cake costs, but it is beneficial to get familiar with the fact that a wedding cake for 100 guests will start at around $6 per dish.Well, maybe it will cost less if you get your cake from Costco (no offense to Costco; I like that shop!), but truly, this is a case of ″you get what you pay for.″ Bakeries like ours, which have a well-established reputation, bake from scratch using high-quality ingredients, and are intimately aware with the venues in the area, will be well worth the investment.We are well-versed in the art of baking and constructing a tiered cake.In addition to knowing how to transport a huge and hefty cake, we also have a wonderful, cooled vehicle for the job.
That just cannot be obtained from a grocery store bakery or from your ″friend of a friend″ who claims to be able to produce your cake for $100 dollars!Because there are no ″do-overs″ in a wedding, you must choose a bakery that you can rely on to make it properly the first time.With that in mind, a smart place to start when setting your cake budget is by first having a look at the number of guests that will be attending your wedding.It is correct that if you expect to have 100 people, your cake will be less expensive than if you plan to have 250 visitors.In a word, yeah….
but not always..Our cakes are charged by the serving, and the pricing is determined by the size and style of the cake.More on it in a moment…There are over a billion wedding cake photographs to pick from, thanks to Pinterest, of course!Generally speaking, a buttercream cake will be less expensive than a fondant cake.It is important to remember that not all designs can be done using buttercream, so bear this in mind while seeing cake photographs.
For our buttercream cakes, the starting price is $6 per serve, and for our fondant cakes, the starting price is $7 per serving.This is the simple part: if you want a tiered cake with 100 servings, multiply $6 by 100 and you will have a starting price of $600 for buttercream.Does this imply that all buttercream cakes will cost $6 per serving?
- The straightforward answer is no.
- However, just as not all fondant cakes will remain at $7 per serving, it is a fantastic place to start for those who are just getting started.
- Is it possible to save money on your wedding cake by using a fake cake or tier?
- Sorry for the bad news, but the answer is no.
- It would appear that consuming a chunk of Styrofoam as opposed to a piece of delectable cake should be less expensive.
I understand that, on the surface, it appears to make sense.For this reason, I shall explain why this is not the case in an effort to dispel that misconception.A false layer, or cake dummy, as we like to refer to them, costs roughly the same as baking the genuine cake.As a result, there are no cost reductions.
- Secondly, cake dummies are, in my opinion, more difficult to work with than genuine cake, which means that they take longer to decorate than real cake, in my opinion, at least.
- It is possible that decorating may take longer than usual, which implies that there will be no cost savings, as you may have anticipated.
- What do you think of a sheet cake?
There is a limited selection of sheet cakes available, and they are an excellent method to supplement cake servings without having to pay for a large tiered cake with 250 portions.I’m talking about ordering a smaller tiered cake (the most frequent size we bake is a 3 tier with 80 serves, as shown in the photo above) and then using sheet cake to augment the remainder of your cake servings if you have a guest count of 250.Sheet cakes are simple frosted cakes that are delivered to the kitchen, sliced by catering staff, and never viewed by visitors.As a result, they cost less per serving than a tiered cake since they are less complicated to make.
Please keep in mind that we will only produce sheet cakes for wedding clients who have ordered a two-tier or bigger cake from us in the past.Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to cakes is that the more intricate the cake design, the higher the price will be.Furthermore, just because a cake appears to have a ″simple″ design does not imply that it is.
I’m aware that there are many lovely cakes available online and in publications, and that cake designers are always pushing the boundaries of cake design.It’s easy to fall in love with so many of the beautiful cakes that we all see.Cake decorations such as hand painting, edible gold, sugar flowers, and hundreds of tiny sugar pearls on top of the cake result in gorgeous patterns, but they also result in a greater cake cost.Some of these cakes may cost as much as $15 per serve, which is shocking.
- To put it another way, consider this: you go out to dinner at a chain restaurant and spend $15 for a mediocre dish that was most likely frozen and only took 20 minutes to prepare.
- A cake designer might spend HOURS working on your wedding cake from start to finish, and we believe that our time is well spent.
- Cake decorating is an art form that not everyone is capable of mastering.
Not to mention the expenses of ingredients such as fresh fruit, butter, and eggs!That item is really pricey!Sugar flowers will always be more expensive than fresh flowers since they are made from sugar.Why?Because they take a long time to build and necessitate the use of a competent hand with knowledge of how to construct, wire, and so on, a lovely looking flower made of sugar may be created!Sugar flowers can cost as little as $15 per flower, with the price increasing as the complexity of the floral design increases.
I completely understand that most couples do not have the financial means to spend $200-300 on sugar flowers alone on their wedding cake, no matter how beautiful they are.So, unless you have something similar, fresh flowers are a better option.Last but not least, keep in mind that there will be a delivery fee to get your cake to the reception site.
The amount of that cost will vary depending on how far away your venue is from our bakery.The greater the distance we must drive to deliver your package, the higher your shipping cost will be.When it comes to delivery, it’s not just about the distance we have to drive, but also about the amount of time it will take – traffic, bad roads, a shortage of parking, and so on.
I would estimate that our typical delivery price is $50-65, with higher rates in high-traffic areas such as Santa Barbara and Los Angeles (100-150+).When you consider how stressful a wedding cake delivery can be, including ensuring that the cake arrives at the venue on time, battling the heat, the weight of the cake, and the fact that they are flat out awkward to handle, you should always opt for delivery…let the professionals do what they are best at.The information in this article should be of use in estimating your cake budget, and I hope you have found it to be informative.An upcoming article about dessert bars will be published!
How Much Should I Spend On A Wedding Cake?
The typical cost of a wedding cake in the United States varies based on the size and design of the cake chosen for the celebration. The average cost of a wedding is between $300 and $700 for a couple. Even though this appears to be a lot of effort for a dessert, you’d be shocked at how much effort goes into crafting a magnificent cake for a wedding reception or other special occasion.
How Much Should You Budget For A Wedding Cake?
- Households in the United States spend an average of $900 each year.
- A wedding cake will cost around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online business that connects clients with local experts in their local community.
- A typical expenditure for a couple is between $125 and $700, with the top end of the spectrum sometimes reaching $1,000.
- This statement will be incorporated into the couple’s wedding cake decoration.
How Much Should A 3 Tier Wedding Cake Cost?
How Much Is A Wedding Cake For 150 Guests?
|6 & 8″||serves 30 guests|
|6, 8 & 10″||serves 70|
|6, 8 & 12″||serves 100|
|6, 10 & 14″||serves 130|
|6, 10 & 16″||serves 150|
What Is The Average Cost Of A Wedding Cake For 100?
In other words, you should have a broad concept of how much money you want to spend or how much money you can afford before you start shopping. The average person is unaware of the cost of a wedding cake, but it is useful to be aware that a wedding cake for 100 people will cost around $6.
How Much Wedding Cake Do I Need For 200 Guests?
There are a variety of reasons why sheet cakes are an excellent choice for parties with huge numbers of people. If you want your cake to appear to be large enough to feed the entire celebration, you need make sure it appears to be large enough. Having a 4-tiered cake with an additional ″backup″ cake is ideal if you need to serve 200 people or more.
How Much Should I Budget For Cake?
|Year||Average Spending per Wedding|
How Much Is A 3 Tier Wedding Cake At Walmart?
A three-tier wedding cake will cost you around $140 to prepare. The cost of a dozen handmade cupcakes is between $10 and $15 each dozen baked.
How Many Does A 3 Tier Wedding Cake Serve?
Servings In typically, three layers of seating accommodate 50 to 100 visitors each tier. So, if you have 150 or more users, you will almost certainly want four levels of security.
How Big Of A Wedding Cake Do I Need For 200 Guests?
|Number Of Guests||Tiers||Size (Width of Tiers)|
|30 or less||1||10 in|
|30-60||2||8 in x 10 in|
|60-120||3||6 in x 10 in x 14 in|
|120-200||4||6 in x 8 in x 10 in x 12 in|
How Big Of A Wedding Cake Do I Need For 100 Guests?
Traditionally, a piece of bride’s cake and a half slice of groom’s cake are provided per guest according to a standard wedding cake formula. With 100 guests, you’ll need 100 serves of bride’s cake and 50 servings of groom’s cake, for a total of 200 servings.
How much should I pay for a wedding cake?
How much does a wedding cake cost for 100 guests?
The concept behind this is that you should have an idea of how much money you want to spend or how much money you can afford to spend on your cake. I understand that most people have no clue how much a wedding cake costs, but it is beneficial to get familiar with the fact that a wedding cake for 100 guests will start at around $6 per dish.
How much is a wedding cake for 150 guest?
- The average cost of this wedding cake size for 150 guests is $3,500.00.
- In the United States, you can expect to pay an average price of between $650 and $700 for the wedding cake size illustrated above in the year 2022.
- Metropolitan cities such as Los Angeles and New York are more costly than the rest of the country; prices in these places can be up to 25 percent more than the national average.
How much does a wedding cake cost for 200 guests?
After reviewing all of the wedding cakes discovered by the wedding cake calculator, we propose a 5 tier wedding cake with tiers that are 14 inches high, 12 inches wide, 10 inches high, and 4 inches high for 200 people. In the United States, the average price of such a cake will be between $800 and $850 in 2022.
How much does a 2 tier wedding cake cost?
What does a wedding budget include?
It is likely that the majority of your wedding money will be spent on high-ticket goods such as renting out your venue space, employing caterers to prepare your meal, purchasing alcohol, and leasing rentals such as tables, chairs and crockery, among other things. Some couples decide to include the cost of their wedding cake in this 50 percent portion of their budget as well.
How many pounds of cake do I need for 100 guests?
5.2 ox per person (150g) was the recommendation from our local bakery, which meant that for 100 guests, you would need 13 lb – let’s round it up to 14 lb or 7 kg of cake.
How much should a 4 tier wedding cake cost?
Tiered cakes are normally priced at $4.50 per serving for two tiers, with prices increasing as the number of tiers increase (by $.25 each tier, so a four tiered cake would be at a minimum $4.50 per serving) and the difficulty/design of the cake rises. A 5″ + 7″ round tiered cake with 26 serves costs a minimum of $120, not including VAT.
How many cakes do I need for 100 guests?
Traditionally, one piece of bride’s cake and half slice of groom’s cake are served per guest, according to a standard wedding cake formula. With 100 guests, it means you’ll need 100 serves of bride’s cake and 50 servings of groom’s cake for your wedding reception.
How much wedding cake do I need for 50 guests?
The quantity of cake servings will aid in determining the size of the cake you will be making. In general, three layers will serve between 50 and 100 people every serving. As a result, if you’re serving 150 or more people, you’ll almost certainly require four or more layers.
How many tiers are needed for a wedding cake?
A typical wedding cake is composed of three tiers, with each layer representing a different aspect of the wedding. According to tradition, the bottom layer is used for eating during the ceremony, the middle tier is used for distribution after the event, and the top tier is kept for later use.
How big of a wedding cake do I need for 100 guests?
You will need around 80-90 portions of your wedding cake for every 100 guests.
Is 15000 a good wedding budget?
Even if your wedding budget is under $15,000, you may still have a spectacular event. When working with a $15,000 budget, it’s important to restrict the guest list to 50 or fewer people. Other cost-saving strategies include sending invites via email rather of postal mail and opting for a buffet package rather than a plated meal at a location.
Is 20k a good wedding budget?
A wedding budget of $20,000 is within reach. The cost of the venue, catering, and decorations will account for more than half of your overall expenditure. Other considerations include dress, entertainment, vendors, rings, stationery, and other other costs and charges. In addition, there are suggestions for organizing a wedding on a tight financial budget.
How do I plan a wedding under 30000?
AN EXAMPLE BUDGET – WHAT YOU CAN GET WITH $30,000
- $20,000 for the venue (all-inclusive with open bar)
- $2,500 for flowers and décor
- $3,600 for photo and video
- and $2,500 for dress and accessories.
- 500 dollars for hair and make-up for the bride and her bridal party
- 500 dollars for cake and desserts
- 1,200 dollars for music
- 500 dollars for a day-of coordinator
What is the standard size of a 3 tier wedding cake?
It is undeniably true that three-tier wedding cakes are a popular option among couples. A regular size of 6′′, 8′′, and 10′′ three-layer tiers would provide roughly 90 parts, which is a sufficient number of servings for an average-sized wedding party of 100 guests.
How deep should each tier of a wedding cake be?
Two layers make up each tier, which means you’ll need to bake two 6-inch cakes, two 8-inch cakes, and two 10-inch cakes to complete this project. Look for pans that are three inches deep or deeper. The cakes themselves will be two inches in diameter, but the additional space will aid to avoid overflow.
How do I figure out how much to charge for a cake?
What kind of price should I set for my cake?
- First, estimate how many hours this cake will take – 5 hours is a good estimate
- Then compute the cost of ingredients – $20
- then compute the cost of labor – $20 x 5 = 100
- and finally compute the cost of materials – $20 x 5 = 200.
- Utility costs are $5
- miscellaneous costs (minor costs) are $5
- and other costs are $5.
- Then compute the total cost: 20 plus 100 plus five plus five is $130.
How much does a 3 layer cake cost?
For example, if you need to serve 100 people, a whole sheet cake may cost $80, however a 3-tiered cake for 100 visitors will cost between $300 to $400 on average.
What is the average price of a wedding cake UK?
A wedding cake from a high-end bakery in the United Kingdom typically costs between £450 and £750. A three-tiered cake that serves 95 people would typically cost between £250 and £550 from a basic cake paper. In the United Kingdom, a designer wedding cake may easily cost £800. The cost of delivery for a wedding cake is higher.
Wedding Cake – How Much Cake Do I Need To Feed My Guests?
- The task of calculating exactly how much cake you will need to offer your guests might be quite perplexing if this is your first time feeding a crowd of hundreds of people.
- There’s nothing worse than purchasing too much cake from the grocery store or having too little cake prepared for you by a fantastic cake maker.
- No one likes to have too much or, even worse, too little cake.
- Here’s a chart to help you figure out how much cake you’ll need to buy or order for your celebration.
- It’s vital to remember that the most important thing is that it tastes wonderful, no matter how many layers it has, how brilliant and vivid the colors are, how soft and pastel the colors are, how much icing it has or how little frosting it has.
Cake Tastings, Transport & Storage
- All excellent bakers will offer you a sampling; sometimes this will be paid for, sometimes it will not; however, if you make an order, this will normally be deducted from the total cost of your cake purchase.
- Would it be