The average U.S. wedding cake costs around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online service that matches customers with local professionals. On the lower end, couples spend around $125 and on the higher end, they typically spend upward of $700—often over $1,000! —on their wedding cake.
How much should you spend on a wedding cake?
While the average spend of a wedding cake is around £300, it’s becoming more and more common for couples to want a wedding cake that stands out and plays centre stage at their wedding reception – just search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some truly amazing creations! However, cakes like these come with a cost attached.
Would you pay £400 for a three tier wedding cake?
‘The design of a three tier wedding cake for £400 is likely to be fairly basic and often the finish is buttercream, as opposed to fondant,’ says Laura. ‘Fresh flowers can be used instead of sugar flowers for cakes in this price bracket to help keep the cost down.’
Where can I buy a cheap wedding cake?
Retailers such as Marks and Spencer and Waitrose offer a lovely variety of wedding cakes that serve up to 120 people. Whilst this is a great deal for couples planning a wedding on a budget, the cakes are mass-produced and are usually limited to basic flavours such as chocolate, lemon and vanilla.
How much does it cost to cater a wedding?
These numbers are likely to increase, since every year the amount of money spent on weddings in the US continues to rise, with the current average at $35,000, with about $71 of that accounting for catering per person. Like this cake? Request a Quote This is an optional extra and comes highly recommended by the professionals.
How much is a wedding cake for 150 guests?
For 150 guests, you will need about 125-135 servings of your wedding cake.
What is the average price of a wedding cake UK?
A wedding cake from a luxury bakery in the UK usually costs from £450 to £750. A standard cake paper usually charges £250 to £550 for a three-tier cake that serves 95 people. A designer wedding cake in the UK easily costs £800. Delivery fees for a wedding cake cost more.
How much does it cost to make a 3 tier wedding cake?
What does the average UK wedding cost?
According to Bridebook’s December 2020 survey of over 4500 couples, the average wedding cost (including engagement ring and honeymoon) was £14,422 in 2020 and £20,731 in 2019. It’s important to take a pinch of salt with the average wedding cost decrease.
Why is wedding cake so expensive?
‘Remember, the majority of the cost of your wedding cake is due to the design and the time and supplies it takes to execute,’ she says. ‘Subtracting the cost of the actual edible cake won’t make a significant difference with an over the top, super custom design.’
How big is a wedding cake for 300 guests?
If you have 300 guests, you’ll need at least a 4-tier cake. The tiers should measure 6′, 10′, 16′, and 20′. If you want a 5-tier cake, you’ll need 6′, 8′, 10′, 14′, and 18′.
What should a wedding cake cost?
The national average cost for wedding cakes is $350, but costs typically range from $125 to $700. Bakers typically price wedding cakes by the slice, and charge between $2.50 and $8 per slice, according to Bake My Day Baking in Dallas, Texas.
How much does a wedding cost?
The average cost of a wedding in 2021 was $28,000 (including the ceremony and reception), according to The Knot’s 2021 Real Weddings Study. Here’s what you should know about wedding costs and how to realistically estimate how much you’ll spend to take the plunge.
How much does a cake cost UK?
Know your costs
The easiest way to work out the cost is to divide the cost of the item, (£1.50 bag of flour for 500g) into 100g, so it will cost £0.30 per 100g (£1.50 divided by 500 equals £0.003 multiplied by 100 = £0.30) if the cakes needs 300g, multiply that amount by 3 (£0.30 x 3=£0.90).
How much cake do I need for 150 guests?
The number of cake servings will help determine the size of your cake. In general, three tiers will serve 50 to 100 guests. So, if you’re having 150 or more, you’ll likely need four or more tiers.
How many pounds of cake do I need for 100 guests?
How many pounds of cake do I need for 100 people? Our local bakery advised that about 5.2 ox per person (150g) – so for 100 guests you need 13 lb – lets round that up to 14 lb or 7 kg of cake.
How much wedding cake do I need for 200 guests?
Reviewing all the cakes found by the wedding cake calculator, for 200 guests we recommend a 5 tier wedding cake where the tiers are 14″, 12″, 10″ and 4″. The average price of such a cake will be between $800 and $850 for US in 2022.
How much does a small wedding cost UK?
Average Cost of a Wedding in the UK
|Wedding Costs||Lower Range||Upper Range|
|Total Wedding Cost UK||£6,275||£67,600|
|Wedding & Reception Venue||£500||£10,000|
What is the average cost of a wedding in 2021 UK?
The average wedding in the UK in 2021 cost £17,300.
This is 90% up on the average cost of a wedding in 2020, which was £9,100. It’s a huge yearly increase, but it does make sense when you consider the limitations on weddings in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Who pays for the wedding UK?
Today, the average cost of a wedding is around £30,000 which is beyond the reach of most couples. Traditionally, the bride’s family pays for the wedding reception (including the venue, food and drink) while the groom pays for the honeymoon.
What is a reasonable price for a wedding cake?
There are a lot of factors that go into determining the average wedding cake prices. The average overall cost landing at $540. The range is as low as $1.50 and as high as $12.00 per slice. It’s always best to have a clear idea of how many guests you are expecting before you book your catering or put a deposit on your banquet hall.
What is the best cake for a wedding?
encourages Lee. If you’re a classic couple that wants to stick with tradition, you may want to choose a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. Some other tried-and-true options include lemon cake with raspberries and strawberry shortcake, says Halabi.
How much should I budget for my wedding cake?
– Quarter Sheet Cake – 54 servings – Half Sheet Cake – 108 servings – Full Sheet Cake – 192 servings
How much wedding cake do I actually need?
When you hire a wedding cake baker, he or she will ask you how many servings you would like for your guests. The majority of guests at a wedding do not take a slice of cake, so you can usually order enough cake for 77 to 85 percent of them.
Wedding Cake Prices: How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
- Wedding cake shopping is by certainly one of the most pleasurable jobs associated with wedding preparation – but how much does a wedding cake cost? Something to keep in mind about wedding cake pricing is that they might vary greatly based on the type of cake that you desire. In addition to the size (although this does have a role), the style and finish can have an impact on the price. The price of your cake may also be affected by the experience and location of the cake maker. Having said that, it is easy to have a general notion of what to expect in terms of price. With the aid of industry professionals, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide on wedding cake costs that will help you and your spouse feel certain that what you’re spending is fair and sensible, no matter what your budget is. We’ll also provide you with some suggestions on how to save money along the road! READ ON FOR MORE INFORMATION a collection of 21 little wedding cakes perfect for intimate wedding receptions
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavors That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavours That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- How to Decorate a Plain Wedding Cake in 30 Different Ways
What Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake?
However, while the average cost of a wedding cake is roughly £300, it is becoming increasingly usual for couples to desire a wedding cake that is unique and takes centre stage at their reception – simply search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some absolutely incredible designs! Cakes like these, on the other hand, have a monetary price tag attached to them.
How Much Should I Pay for a Wedding Cake?
Remember that there is no ″correct″ answer; instead, consider how significant the cake is to your celebration.For those of you who enjoy baking or just have a sweet appetite, it may be appropriate to allocate a larger portion of your money to the cake.If you and your spouse, on the other hand, are adamantly opposed to the concept of a celebratory sponge, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t celebrate at all!Take into consideration the occasion for which the cake is being served.Are you utilizing it for ornamental purposes as a dessert table highlight and not intending to serve it to everyone, or are you using it in lieu of your pudding and intending to serve it to each and every person in attendance?
What Factors Affect the Price of a Wedding Cake?
When it comes to purchasing a wedding cake, there are a variety of various aspects that will influence the price you will pay.
The Time of Year
The cost of wedding cakes does not fluctuate significantly depending on the season, in contrast to certain other types of wedding suppliers that modify their pricing at different seasons of the year.Having said that, if you’re getting married during peak wedding season and/or on a weekend, you might expect to notice an increase in prices because wedding cake providers will be at their busiest.
The Location of Your Wedding
Wedding cake vendors in London and the South East tend to charge greater costs than those in the rest of the nation, however there are a variety of other factors that influence the final price of the cake.You should also consider the possibility of additional shipping fees.Nicola Nicholls of The Pretty Sugar Cake Company explains that ″location might contribute to the overall cost of the cake because most cake makers will charge a delivery fee depending on round trip mileage/time needed to deliver and set up the cake.″ ″Selecting a vendor who is closer to the venue can be more cost effective in some cases.″ READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
The Wedding Cake Size
The final cost of your wedding cake will be determined by the size of your wedding cake and the number of guests that will be served by it.In order to feed at least 100 wedding guests, you’ll need a wedding cake with three to four layers at a minimum, which will raise your total cost to around £400.In the words of Dee Farrance, owner of Sugar High Cakes, ″we always advise and encourage our clients to remember that when you purchase a wedding cake, you are mostly paying for the artist’s time.″ ″It may take up to a week to make a three-tiered wedding cake,″ says the baker.
The Wedding Cake Design
However, while the size of your wedding cake will be a big element in the pricing, the design of your wedding cake will have the greatest impact on how much it costs you in terms of money.The creation of a cake design with a lot of detail, such as handcrafted sugar flowers, hand-piping details, ruffles, and other embellishments, takes significantly longer, which raises the cost of the cake, according to Nicola.″The creation of a single sugar rose might take up to an hour.Custom sugar flowers, hand piping detail, ruffles, stenciling work, and other labor-intensive elements will increase the cost of the cake, since you are paying for the baker’s time and expertise.″ Naked wedding cakes, for example, may be prepared with significantly less effort than cakes covered in fondant and decorated with handcrafted sugar decorations, resulting in a lower overall cost.You may believe that going custom will increase the cost, and in some circumstances, this is true – but not in all cases.According to Nicola, ″the pricing will always depend on what the design is, whether it is a prior design that has been requested or an entirely new design.″ ″For example, a very basic new design would be less expensive than a prior, more intricate design, which would be more expensive.
My cakes are always made to order since there are always certain features that are unique to each cake.″
The Wedding Cake Ingredients
Aside from the design features, the sort of cake you select may make a difference as well. In Nicola’s opinion, fruit cakes and those containing luxury ingredients such as Champagne and liquors will always be more expensive than a vanilla sponge cake for example.
What Type of Wedding Cake Can You Get for Your Budget?
With the goal of making the process of purchasing your wedding cake as simple and straight forward as possible, we’ve put up a comprehensive list of what you can anticipate from a cake maker for pricing ranging between £100 and more than £1,000.While these costs are not the same for all wedding cake vendors due to a variety of elements to take into consideration, they serve as useful guides for couples who are unsure of what they may obtain for their budget.
Wedding Cakes Up to £150
Instead of fondant, a very basic, single-tiered wedding cake may be had for less than £100.It will be frosted with buttercream (or left bare) rather than fondant.Although, given that this is the lower end of the spectrum, there isn’t much opportunity for individualized embellishments or show-stoppers, with £100 to spend, you can expect to receive a tiny, basic, and beautiful wedding cake that will serve around 20-30 people on average.Cake topper and flowers (check with your florist first to ensure that the flowers are appropriate for the cake) may always be used to add interest to a cake.Select a supermarket design and decorate it yourself, or choose a smaller cake design and save money by purchasing a larger cake for less money.A wedding cake that serves up to 120 guests is available from merchants such as Marks & Spencer and Waitrose if you are planning a huge wedding party.
However, while this is a fantastic offer for couples who are looking to save money on their wedding cake, the cakes are mass-produced and generally only come in a few basic flavors, such as chocolate or lemon.MORE INFORMATION: Supermarket Wedding Cakes: Low-Cost Wedding Cakes from the High Street
Wedding Cakes for £150 – £300
Increasing your wedding cake budget to around £300 will provide you with additional possibilities. You can anticipate to be able to buy a more elaborate single-tier wedding cake or a tiny two-tier wedding cake with a plain or bare design that serves up to 50 guests.
Wedding Cakes for £300 – £400
Couples should expect to pay up to £400 for a three-tiered wedding cake that will feed up to 100 guests.In Laura’s opinion, ″the design of a three-tier wedding cake costing £400 is likely to be pretty plain, and the finish is frequently buttercream rather than fondant,″ she adds.For cakes in this price range, fresh flowers can be used in place of sugar flowers to help keep the cost down, she says.
Wedding Cakes for £450 – £600
Designing a cake in this pricing category may be quite complicated, according to Ann’s Designer Cakes’ team: ″Our nude, royal iced swirl or drip wedding cakes are an excellent indication of what you can expect to pay in this price range.Even though the designs of these cakes are simple, we are able to create something really lovely and special for a couple’s wedding by using fresh fruits, berries, and silk flowers into the design.″ This pricing range is the beginning point for a three-tier fondant cake that will serve 80-120 guests on a budget.Couples with a budget of £600 for their wedding cake should expect more design work and a greater variety of flavors than those with a lesser budget.
Wedding Cakes for £700 – £800
Increasing your wedding cake budget to £800 offers you a whole new world of possibilities. Couples should anticipate at least three or four six-inch tiers, sugar work, and flower arrangements — as well as other design components – for this fee. READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
Wedding Cakes for £800 – £1,000
You will receive even more creative work and attention to detail if you increase your wedding cake budget to £1,000 or more.″According to Dee, ″for this price, you should anticipate the majority of four-tier cakes and some simpler five-tier desserts to be available.″ ″These cakes will typically include some time-consuming elements, such as extensive fondant fabric effects, hand piping designs, or hand-painted elements,″ says the author.More information may be found at ’33 Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Cake Maker ‘.A couple that expects their wedding cake to be a genuine focal point at their celebration, and to really stand out and be adored, should be prepared to pay this amount,″ adds the expert ″Laura expresses herself.″A great deal of detailed labor goes into these cakes, and they are frequently coated in a great deal of sugar work and intricacy.″
Wedding Cakes Over £1,000
For a wedding cake that costs more than £1,000, you can expect nothing less than an extraordinary confectionary creation.You’ll be dealing with a very experienced and talented cake decorator who is likely to be booked up months in advance of your wedding.Expect at least two consultations to create a completely customized cake: an initial appointment to discuss needs and sample a variety of cake flavors, followed by a second visit to inspect the design and finalize details.The options available at this pricing point are mind-boggling.These cakes start at seven levels and can incorporate custom-made elements as well as intricately crafted bespoke emblems and logos.A discount on extra sweet goods like as edible favors, cake pops, and cookies may also be available for you to take advantage of.
It’s really easy to go over budget on your wedding – so make sure you’ve read our 7 suggestions for staying on track with your budget before planning your big day!
Wedding cake prices
The average wedding cake costs $300 to $800 for a three-tiered cake that feeds 100 to 150 people, depending on the style. Prices for wedding cakes range from $3 to $8 per person, depending on the size, number of tiers, layers, flavors, design, delivery method, and set-up required.
|Guests||Tiers*||Tier sizes||Average cost|
|25||2-Tier||8” + 6”||$100 – $240|
|50||2-Tier||10” + 6”||$150 – $300|
|60||2-Tier||10” + 8”||$170 – $350|
|75||3-Tier||10” + 8” + 6”||$250 – $500|
|100||3-Tier||12” + 8” + 6”||$280 – $630|
|120||3-Tier||14” + 10” + 6”||$350 – $800|
|130||4-Tier||12” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$500 – $860|
|150||3-Tier||16” + 10” + 6”||$460 – $820|
|175||3-Tier||16” + 12” + 8”||$540 – $850|
|175||4-Tier||14” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$570 – $850|
|200||4-Tier||16” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$600 – $1,300|
|225||5-Tier||14” + 12” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$800 – $1,500|
|250||5-Tier||16” + 14” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$850 – $1,700|
|300||5-Tier||16” + 14” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$900 – $2,000|
*This does not include an optional additional layer for the wedding couple to save money.
Average wedding cake cost
The typical cost of a wedding cake for 100 to 150 guests is shown in the following table.
|National average cost||$500|
|Average cost range||$300 to $800|
The cost information comes from research and project costs that have been disclosed by Fash members. Find the most talented wedding cake designers in your area. Pros can be found here.
Average wedding cake cost per person or serving
In the United States, the typical wedding cake costs $3 to $8 per attendee. A basic cake with classic flavors and a straightforward design may be purchased for as little as $1.50 per slice, while a cake with various gourmet tastes, unusual fillings, and complex decorations can be purchased for as much as $15 each piece.
- The average cost of a wedding cake per person Type of wedding cake The cost per person is Simple $1.50 – $4.50 per pound Vanilla or chocolate cake with standard tastes and fillings
- buttercream icing
- round or square cake form
- Customized prices range from $5.00 to $8.00. Flavored frosting
- a more intricate frosting decoration
- certain high-end tastes or fillings such as ice cream or cream cheese
- Designers are priced from $9.00 and $15.00. Flavors that are gourmet or unusual
- Various taste and filling combinations are available.
- Cakes and tiers that are uniquely formed
- The intricate pattern work on the icing
- Specialty cakes that are vegan or gluten-free
Return to top
Wedding cake pricing chart by tiers
- A 2-tier wedding cake ranges in price from $100 to $350 and feeds 25 to 60 people.
- A three-tier wedding cake ranges in price from $250 to $850 and feeds 75 to 175 guests.
- The majority of the tiers are circular cakes measuring 6 inches, 8 inches, 10 inches, or 12 inches in diameter. Single-tier wedding cakes range in size from 6″ to 14″ in diameter and can be as tall as 10″.
- Some couples choose to include an extra tier to take home with them.
|1-Tier||8 – 75||$50 – $180|
|2-Tier||25 – 60||$100 – $350|
|3-Tier||75 – 175||$250 – $850|
|4-Tier||150 – 200||$500 – $1,300|
|5-Tier||250 – 300||$800 – $2,000|
*Tier heights ranging from 4 to 6 inches. There is no no-cut top layer included in this price. Single-tier wedding cakes can be up to 14″ in diameter and 10″ in height.
Wedding cake tier serving sizes chart
1″ x 2″ slices of wedding cake are the traditional serving size. Because some portions may be sliced bigger than typical and some guests may accept more than one slice, plan on serving 5 percent to 10 percent more than you anticipate.
|Cake shape||Tier size (inches wide)||Wedding servings|
Return to top
Wedding cake cost calculator
- The majority of bakeries use a portion or all of the consultation and tasting costs toward the cost of the wedding cake. A number of other elements influence the final pricing.. An expert baker will charge more than a beginner baker or the bakery at the local big box store
- Bakery Supplies
- Labor – The majority of the cake cost is determined by the complexity of the design. Sugar flowers, fondant sculpting, elaborate lacework, and cakes in unusual forms and sizes need a greater investment of time and effort than a circular cake with basic embellishments.
- Ingredients and flavors — Expensive ingredients, gourmet flavors and fillings, and speciality cakes such as vegan or allergen-free wedding cakes are more expensive than traditional vanilla or chocolate wedding cakes.
- The use of fondant or gum paste can increase the cost of a slice by $0.50 to $1.00 or more each slice.
- Different flavor and filling combinations in each tier cost more than a single set of standard flavors and fillings used throughout the cake
- Cake size and number of tiers – Larger cakes with more tiers require more ingredients and take more time to produce, resulting in higher costs. The cost is also affected by the height of the tiers.
- On average, an additional $20 to $60 is spent on top tiers, which is customarily left uncut for the bride and groom’s enjoyment at home.
- Location – Bakers in major metropolitan areas such as New York or Los Angeles sometimes charge 25 percent more than the national average.
- Equipment rental – It is possible that cake stands and cutting equipment will not be provided. Some bakeries also provide cake topper rental services.
- If delivery and setup are not included, the cost ranges from $40 to $100 or more, depending on the location and distance to the venue.
- Cake-cutting costs — Some venues charge a cake-cutting fee ranging from $1 to $8 each slice, depending on the location.
Request free sampling from wedding cake vendors in your area. Pros can be found here.
Wedding cake cost by layers
The majority of wedding cakes contain 2 to 3 layers of cake and 1 to 2 layers of filling per tier.Some bakers use additional layers and vary the thickness of the layers according to customer preference.Wedding cakes are generally comprised of one to three tiers, with each tier holding numerous layers of cake and filling, depending on the style.When it comes to wedding cakes, the terms ″tier″ and ″layer″ are occasionally used interchangeably in the same sentence.Make sure you and your baker agree on the number of tiers, layers of cake, and filling you want in each tier before proceeding.
Simple vs. designer wedding cake prices
- Classic flavors such as vanilla or chocolate, buttercream frosting, and a simple design are all priced between $1.50 to $4.50 a slice for a basic wedding cake with a simple design. Designer wedding cakes range in price from $9 to $15 per dish, depending on the flavors, fillings, and level of ostentation used. For each additional unique flavor or filling, an additional $0.25 to $1.00 per slice (or more) is charged.
- It is common for fondant icing to cost twice as much as buttercream
- designer wedding cake ingredients include gourmet tastes, sophisticated or intricate fondant icing, sugar flowers, hand painting, and distinctive sculpted shapes
Wedding table cakes prices list
Depending on the size, flavor and icing selection, and the amount of layers and contents, wedding table cakes can range from $20 to $190 in price. Individual cakes on stands are often less expensive than a single cake constructed with numerous levels since there is less effort required. The cost of renting or purchasing a display stand may rise as a result.
|Table cake size||Servings||Average cost|
|6″ round||12||$20 – $60|
|8″ round||24||$40 – $120|
|10″ round||38||$50 – $160|
|12″ round||56||$60 – $190|
Wedding sheet cake prices
Wedding sheet cakes range in price from $0.40 to $1.20 each slice, or $70 to $180 for a full sheet cake. Reduce your overall expenditures by purchasing a smaller tiered cake for show purposes (cake-cutting, pictures, etc.) and serving the guests from a kitchen sheet cake with the same icing and flavors as the display cake.
|Sheet cake size||Servings||Average cost|
|¼ sheet||54||$30 – $65|
|½ sheet||108||$45 – $100|
|Full sheet||192||$70 – $180|
Mini or small wedding cakes cost
Mini wedding cakes range in price from $10 to $20 per serving and are single-serving cakes that provide a distinctive display aspect.The cost of 150 tiny wedding cakes ranged from $1,500 to $3,000.Bakers charge extra because of the additional time spent baking, decorating, setting up, and transporting their products.A little wedding cake for each table costs between $20 and $60 per cake and can help you save money on centerpieces.Cakes for centerpiece table cakes are approximately 6″ in diameter and 1 layer in height.Cover it with a transparent dome to keep it from getting damaged throughout the meal.
It is not advisable to serve centerpiece cakes in weddings with children.Select multiple flavors for your centerpiece cakes and place them on a separate table for slicing and serving so that guests may choose their favorite taste without having to ask someone else at the table.
Wedding cake delivery charges
The cost of wedding cake delivery ranges from $40 to $100 or more, depending on the location, distance to the venue, and amount of setup necessary. Some bakeries include the cost of delivery and setup in the price of the wedding cake. It is typical to tip delivery personnel in the range of $5 to $25 per person.
Wedding cupcakes and desserts prices
Wedding cupcakes cost $2 to $6 per person for 1 to 1.5 cupcakes each attendee, depending on the size of the wedding party.On average, the cost of a wedding dessert table ranges from $5 to $11 per guest.Some dessert bar packages contain a miniature cutting cake, cake pops or cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pastries, doughnuts, and other desserts as part of the box.Return to the top of the page
Frequently asked questions
How much do grooms’ cakes cost?
Groom’s cakes can range in price from $1 to $8 per slice or more, depending on the size, flavors, and design of the cake. The size of the cake is determined by when it is served. A typical rule of thumb is to serve 12 slices each person if the wedding cake is served beside it, or 1 piece per guest if the rehearsal dinner is served with it.
Why are wedding cakes so expensive?
Wedding cakes are expensive due to the high quality of the ingredients used, as well as the time and talent necessary to make them. The total is influenced by the size, flavors, level of detail, and business name. A one-of-a-kind, intricate design from a well regarded cake shop would cost far more than a plain cake with standard tastes from a chain store bakery, according to the experts.
How to save money on a wedding cake
- There are a variety of options for creating a budget-friendly wedding cake: ″Deconstructed″ design — Placing each layer on a separate stand rather than stacking and decorating one enormous cake may result in a cost savings of up to 25% compared to the traditional design.
- Fresh flowers – Handmade sugar flowers can add $5 to $25 per stem, or more, to the cost of fresh flowers. Flowers that are in season and fresh are more cost-effective. In certain cases, leftover flowers from bouquets or centerpieces might be provided by the florist at no additional charge, resulting in a more coherent effect.
- Buttercream frosting is the most cost-effective option, because it is far less expensive than fondant. Cakes that are ″naked″ or ″semi-naked″ require less icing, however they may or may not be less expensive because some bakers take extra time to get the desired aesthetic.
- Negotiate — If the cost of the wedding cake is included in the venue’s event contract, consider asking to get the cutting charge removed or reduced.
- Pick it up yourself – By picking up the cake yourself, you can save anywhere from $40 to $100 or more on the delivery price. Pickup also eliminates the need to tip a delivery team, but it necessitates extreme caution and accuracy in order to transport it safely to the site.
- Reduce the number of distinctive elements – various cake and frosting tastes, elaborate and lavish patterns – because each one raises the cost by $0.25 to $1.00 per slice or more. Simplify the design – Choose traditional flavors, a straightforward design, and one or two layers for a cake that is both beautiful and affordable.
- Servings that are half the size of complete slices increase the number of guests served at the same price as whole slices. Smaller cake pieces are a frequent approach to save money because many guests just consume a bite or two of the cake
Due to the fact that the decoration time and material costs are nearly identical to those of an actual cake, faux or dummy cakes made of Styrofoam lower the total cost by just a small percentage.
Do Walmart and Costco make wedding cakes?
Wedding cakes from Walmart range in price from $30 to $165, depending on the size and style.Walmart provides a variety of cake shapes, including round, sheet cake, and 2-to-3-tiered alternatives.Although the taste and design options are adjustable, they are more limited than those available at a speciality bakery.It is possible to place orders online up to 30 days in advance.Costco does not specialize in wedding cakes or cakes with several tiers.They do, however, provide sheet cakes starting at $20 that may be personalized for a wedding reception or party.
Sheet cakes from Costco are being used by some DIY-savvy couples to make a low-cost, tiered wedding cake.
When to order a wedding cake
A wedding cake should be ordered at least 4 to 6 months before the wedding day. It is best to place your order as soon as you know the location, date, and approximate number of guests. When placing the initial purchase to guarantee a date, it is not usually necessary to choose a design or a taste to go along with it.
Do I have to tip my wedding cake baker?
Because the wedding cake is a product, rather than a service, there is no need to tip the cake baker for their work.Instead, send a thank-you message and encourage others to leave positive evaluations online.If the cake meets or surpasses expectations, or if the baker goes above and beyond, some couples choose to give the baker 10 percent to 15 percent of the total cake cost.Provide a $5 to $25 per person gratuity to the wedding cake delivery personnel.If you’re planning an intricate or time-consuming setup, go for the higher end of the scale.Return to the top of the page
Tips for hiring a wedding cake bakery
- Preparation is key when selecting a wedding cake designer for your big day. Schedule three to five cake tastings with different bakeries to try a variety of flavors and choices
- Color and design inspiration may be found on Instagram and Pinterest.
- Examine the websites of local bakeries to discover their design style and photographs of prior cakes
- Check out their ratings and reviews on Fash and Google.
- Inquire for recommendations from recently married couples.
- Be aware of the number of guests. If you are still waiting for RSVPs, you should expect 80 percent of your guests to accept your invitation.
- Obtain at least three different estimations.
- Before signing or paying in full, be sure you understand all of the contract conditions.
Questions to ask a wedding cake baker
- Is my wedding date accessible on your calendar?
- How many cake deliveries do you plan to make on each of the scheduled dates?
- Do you charge by the slice or by the pound?
- When it comes to wedding cakes, what is your bare minimum price?
- What is the difference in price between the different flavors?
- Do you have any recommendations for icing and flavorings?
- Do you have a timetable for tastings?
- The payments for cake tasting or consultation are credited on any subsequent orders for cakes.
- Can you provide me some examples of your most current cake designs?
- Is it possible for you to produce vegan or allergen-free cakes (as appropriate)?
- Is it possible to rent equipment from you?
- Do you have any other desserts available besides cake?
- What happens if the cake is delivered in a damaged state?
- How far in advance should I place my order for my cake?
- What is the amount of the deposit and when do you require it?
- What exactly is included and what exactly is not included in the quote?
- Do you have a shipping cost that you charge? Whether or not the charge includes set-up at the venue is unclear.
- Do you have any plans to beautify the cake table?
- What other charges might I anticipate?
- When is the final payment due in full?
- What is your policy on refunds and cancellations?
- Can you tell me how many wedding cakes you’ve made?
Fash prices from reputable sellers are provided free of charge: Request no-obligation estimates.
This Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake
Here’s how much you should set aside for your dessert course.Having a cake at your wedding is one of the most common wedding traditions that has been around for quite some time.According to a recent internal survey, 75 percent of couples who tied the knot in the past year included dessert in their reception.If you’re wondering how much the typical wedding cake costs, we conducted a poll of over 15,000 couples who were married in 2021 to find out the answer to that question.Wedding cakes often cost $500 to $1,000 in total, according to our research (similar to what couples spent in 2019).Of course, this figure is a national average, and the cost of your wedding cake may vary depending on a variety of criteria such as the number of tiers, the kind of cake, and the decorations used.
So it should come as no surprise that wedding cakes are often not the same as the ordinary pastries seen at a grocery shop.Rather, they are confections that have been particularly created.We recommend that you deal with a professional pastry chef or cake designer for your wedding cake because they are professionals in their fields.They can provide you advice on things like the flavor profiles for your wedding cake and the amount of batter you’ll need to make for your 150-person guest list.A professional wedding cake maker was employed by 81 percent of couples to create their dessert, according to our survey, which was conducted in 2012.
While your wedding cake will serve as a sweet treat for your guests, it may also serve as a source of entertainment for those in attendance.According to our research, 77 percent of couples who exchanged their vows in 2021 held a cake-cutting ceremony during their reception.When it comes to your celebration, your wedding cake may also serve as a distinctive piece of decor.One in every five couples said they used specialty light projections on their wedding cakes, dance floors, and walls, and two percent said they had 3-D wedding cake decorations, according to the survey.
If you want to make the dessert even more unique, you may purchase charming, personalized cake toppers to go with it.The typical price of a wedding cake may range anywhere from $1.50 to $12 per slice (which is a vast range, we know), based on a variety of factors, including the type of cake you choose and how many guests will be attending the reception.Your baker will work out the specifics, but keep in mind that fondant icing (rather than buttercream frosting), upscale filling tastes, intricate molded forms, brilliant colors, and handcrafted sugar flower detailing will all increase the cost of your dessert.
Additionally, keep in mind that you’re not just paying for a product, but also for a service—you will pay for the cake designer’s time and work, in addition to a delivery charge.What is the most important aspect influencing the price of a wedding cake?The amount of people that will be attending your event.The average cost of a wedding cake for 50 or less attendees was $319, while a cake for more than 100 guests was $600, according to our research.The more the number of people you invite, the greater the amount of money you will spend on cake.Are you looking for a way to save money?
- The key to saving money is to purchase a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ For example, if you have a guest list of 300 people, get a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ (Generally speaking, people will leave pieces of pizza on the table that are just half-eaten.) The wedding cake of your dreams will be created on a smaller scale, and the price will be one that you can comfortably afford.
- In addition to the traditional wedding cake, there are additional dessert alternatives to consider for your own special day.
- In fact, 61 percent of couples who were married in 2021 served a dessert other than the conventional wedding cake to their guests as part of their wedding reception.
- Cookies were the most popular non-cake option, with 40 percent of couples included the sweet delicacy in their dessert bar as a result of the survey.
Cupcakes were provided by four out of every ten couples, while pastries were served by 26 percent.Doughnuts, ice cream sandwiches, s’mores, cake pops, and cheesecake are just a few of the other inventive dessert table options available.We advocate dealing with a baking specialist, regardless of whatever option you pick, because they can produce exquisite confections to your exact requirements (croquembouche or themed macarons included).You’re not sure where to begin?
- Check out our gallery of one-of-a-kind wedding cake designs, or browse through our Real Wedding pages for inspiration (they contain wedding albums from real couples).
- Then, once you’ve made all of your major selections (flavors, wedding cake size, tiers, and decorations), speak with an expert to acquire an estimate and collaborate with them to design the wedding cake of your dreams (hello, cake tasting!
- If you are a fan of old-fashioned wedding traditions, you might want to consider keeping the top tier of your wedding cake to share with your guests at a later date.
Wedding Cake Prices 2021
After the main course has been served at a wedding reception, the wedding cake is served.Traditionally, wedding cakes are the focal point of the reception and are sliced by the bride and groom as part of the celebrations of the day.It was traditionally thought that wedding cakes were offered as a sign of good fortune.Wedding cakes are far more luxurious than typical cakes when compared to other occasions.This dish can have many levels and be constructed from any number of different components.Traditionally, wedding cakes are constructed of fruit and iced with marzipan to give them a luxurious appearance.
A wedding cake may be made in any shape or flavor you like these days, thanks to advancements in technology.Take, for example, a sponge cake that is made up of numerous layers, each with a different flavor and color.At the end of the day, a wedding cake should reflect the personality of the bride and groom.It is intended to be sipped when the guests raise a toast, and as such, it should contribute to the overall feeling of celebration.
How much does a Wedding Cake cost?
Wedding cakes may be as simple or as ornate as you want them to be, so it’s difficult to estimate how much you should expect to pay because it all depends on what you choose. To give you an approximate estimate of how much wedding cakes cost on average in the United Kingdom, consider the following:
What changes the price of a Wedding Cake?
- A vast variety of flavors, sizes, and shapes are available for wedding cakes to suit any taste. Taking your wedding’s theme into consideration might assist you in narrowing down your cake selection options. Here are some more pricing points to consider to assist you in making your decision: The type of wedding cake
- the size of the cake
- the design of the cake
- the cake mixture
- the finish of the cake
- the location
Type of wedding cake
To illustrate, the average cost of a wedding cake will vary depending on the sort of cake you choose.
|Type of wedding cake||Highest average price||Lowest average price|
If you’re on a tight budget, a single layer wedding cake will provide excellent value, with prices starting at only £60.Smaller weddings benefit from this as well because there will be less guests to feed as a result of the reduced number of attendees.On the opposite end of the spectrum, five-tier wedding cakes might cost upwards of £1,000 each layer.It is possible that the price will be more if the cake is embellished with crystals and other luxury touches.In the end, the price of your wedding cake will be determined by its size, its structure, and its finish.Because each organization will have its own pricing structure, the costs will differ from one another.
Wedding cakes should be proportional to the amount of people that will be attending your wedding reception.Consider the following scenario: you have 100 guests and want a cake with at least 3 to 4 tiers, which would cost around £400.Your wedding cake designer will want this information in advance so that they can provide you with recommendations on the sort of size you’ll require as a bare minimum.Multiple levels for your wedding cake are doable, albeit they will be more expensive than a simpler design.
The design of your cake is where you can express yourself creatively and have a good time.There’s also the option to keep things simple, or even include your wedding’s general theme, into your invitations.Intricate wedding cake designs will be more expensive, not least because of the additional time required by the baker to complete them properly.Element such as intricate fondant fabric effects, piping designs, or other similar hand-painted embellishments would fall under this category.
It’s also vital to consider the cake’s base before proceeding. Traditional wedding cakes are made with fruit that must be allowed to develop before being served, which may result in a higher cost when compared to other sorts of mixtures. Alternatively, you may make a sponge cake, which has the advantage of allowing you to flavor it with any flavoring you like.
There are a variety of possibilities for your wedding cake, ranging from marzipan to royal icing, buttercream to ganache.The finish of your cake will have a significant influence on both the aesthetic presentation as well as the cost of your wedding cake.The more complicated the finishing, similar to the cake design, the more expensive it will be to execute them.The ‘naked’ wedding cake is a contemporary fad in which there is very little frosting on the outside of the cake.
There are several possibilities for your wedding cake, ranging from marzipan to royal icing, buttercream to ganache.Both the aesthetic appeal and the cost of your cake will be greatly influenced by the way it is finished.The more detailed the finishing, similar to the cake design, the more expensive it will be to complete.Naked wedding cakes, which have no frosting on the outside, have been popular in recent years.
Is it worth getting a Wedding Cake?
The final decision on whether or not to have a wedding cake prepared is entirely up to the couple.However, for the majority of couples, the wedding cake is the star of the show during their reception.Wedding cakes are likewise entrenched in tradition, and your guests will look forward to biting into them after the formality of the ceremony has concluded.Traditional wedding cakes are no longer the only option available; nowadays, there is something to fit everyone’s preferences.In addition, wedding cakes are delectable!With a beautifully prepared wedding cake, you may toast to your new marriage in style.
Bark can help you identify local bakers that can produce a wedding cake masterpiece for you, whether you want a conventional fruit cake or a chocolate cake.
Average Price Of A Wedding Cake: A 2022 Guide For You
If you’re planning a wedding, there’s no question that the image of the wedding cake is permanently etched in your memory.However, if you’re not familiar with the industry, the typical cost of a wedding cake may come as a surprise.Wedding cake is a type of cake that is baked for a wedding.When it comes to wedding cakes, the average price varies drastically depending on whether you’re making them yourself or obtaining them from an outside vendor, as well as how many people you’re expecting.We’re here to help you understand everything so that you know precisely what to anticipate.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most popular wedding cake?
When should you order a wedding cake?
What Is The Average Price Of A Wedding Cake?
In order to determine the typical wedding cake pricing, a variety of considerations must be taken into consideration. The average overall expenditure came to $540 on average.
The Average Cost Of Wedding Cake Per Slice
The prices range from as little as $1.50 per slice to as much as $12.00 per slice. It’s usually a good idea to have a good estimate of how many guests will be attending your event before booking your caterer or putting down a deposit on your banquet location. This is the most effective method to approach the task of planning your wedding cake.
What Impacts The Cost Of A Wedding Cake?
You’re probably thinking to yourself, ″Why can’t I receive a straight answer?″ at this point. Because of all the variables, you’re always coming into large ranges of values. We’ll go over each of them in detail so that you have a better sense of which side of the range you should be focussing on at any given time.
Wedding Cake Ingredients
- As a result, you’re most likely thinking, ″Why can’t I receive a straightforward answer?″ Because of all of the variables, you’re continually running into extremes. In order for you to have a better grasp of which side of the range you should be focused on, we’ll guide you through each of them.
Each requires a different set of materials, some of which are more difficult to deal with than others. For those who want to keep prices down, you may always choose for the increasingly fashionable ″naked″ appearance.
Wedding Cake Delivery Fees
5 In most cases, the cost of the cake does not include delivery costs and taxes. Even if you choose the most prestigious baker in the city, the cost of delivery will be more than if you use a conventional delivery service since they will have to go further. Why? They are in charge of keeping it at the proper temperature and ensuring that it is entirely undamaged at all times.
Cake Equipment Rentals
6 If you’re planning on renting cupcake displays, cake stands, and cake toppers from your baker, this will add to the overall cost of your wedding.
Wedding Dessert Types And Cost
- This list of wedding cake options is perfect for those wishing to spice things up with something different for their wedding reception. Cupcakes, cake pops, croquembouche, macarons, and other confections
The first two will be a big hit with both the guests and the newlyweds.A welcome splash of color to spruce up vibrant wedding theme colors, wedding cupcakes and cake pops also have the added bonus of being extremely simple to predetermine amounts; one per guest plus a few extras just in case.The second and third are surprising and glitzy, and they go perfectly with historic themes like The Great Gatsby or anything from old-world France or Italy, among other things.It takes a bit more time and work to calculate portions, but the results are well worth it.Even while it is usually a good idea to deliver something unexpected, if you are searching for a means to minimize the cost of your wedding cake, you will have to seek someplace else for inspiration.It costs $2.50 to $4.00 each service for these wedding cake substitutes, which is comparable to the price of a traditional wedding cake.
Wedding Cake Serving Sizes
In most cases, calculating how much square cake you’ll need to feed your whole guest list is rather straightforward; but, when dealing with circle cakes and many layers, the math becomes a bit more involved.
Wedding Cake Serving Chart
- Make use of this chart to estimate how much wedding cake you’ll need to serve your guests. 8 servings with 5″, 12 servings with 6″, 7″ with 16 servings with 8″, 24 servings with 9″, 10 servings with 38 servings with 11″ with 47 servings with 12″ with 56 servings with 13 servings with 78 servings with 15 servings with 89 servings with 15″.
- Take note that these values are based on the average piece size and deal with the typical depth of the cake. Because a deeper cake makes for thinner pieces, these suggestions are no longer valid. Consult with your wedding cake baker, who will be well-versed in the number of guests who will be served by their wedding cake. Consider this: a standard-sized 3-tier wedding cake will feed 50 to 100 people, depending on the size of the cake. Make advantage of these numbers as your starting points if you want to take your sheet cake in a different direction. The following sizes are available: quarter sheet cake (54 servings), half sheet cake (108 servings), and full sheet cake (192 servings).
What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 100 People?365 to 570 dollars If you use the typical wedding cake cost as a guideline, you can serve 100 guests for a reasonable price.What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 150 People?Between $525 and $840 This may be the most adaptable option, since it can be achieved through a range of tier and form options.When it comes to wedding cakes, how much does a cake for 200 guests cost?From $765 to $1080 The location where you acquire the cake and the complexity of your design determine the cost of your wedding cake.
What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 250 People?$900+ You would expect the cost of feeding 125 people to be double that of feeding 50 visitors, however economies of scale begin to come in when you have this many guests.Every year, we recommend that you budget 5-10 percent extra than you think you’ll need to cover unexpected expenses.The likelihood is that you’ll cut a few slices that are too large, that unexpected visitors will arrive, or that some sly guests will make their way to a second piece is high.Of course, you’ll want to budget more more for special occasions such as anniversaries or souvenirs.
Tips On Saving Money On A Wedding Cake
Keep these suggestions in mind if you want to keep your wedding cake costs lower than the national average for the occasion.
- Keep things straightforward: The higher the number of levels and the more sophisticated the design, the more expensive it will be
- You will receive two cakes. It is possible to keep expenses down by baking a smaller tiered cake for photographs and your anniversary, and giving your guests the same tastes through sheet cake.
- Consider a new perspective. Flowers made from real flowers are less expensive than ones made from icing.
- Buttercream should be used to decorate. When compared to regular frosting, this is less expensive. When you’re feeding 200 or more people, this may add up to a significant amount of money.
This article will assist you in estimating the typical cost of a wedding cake so that you may include a suitable sum in your budget and include the cake in your planning. Make sure you have enough for all of your guests before making judgments about design and ingredients until you have the cake of your dreams that is also within your budget when it comes time to work with final figures.
Guide to Wedding Cake Costs & Prices
The cost of a wedding cake is determined by the size, shape, and decoration of the cake. Continue reading to learn more about the typical cost of a wedding cake.
How Much Does the Average Wedding Cake Cost?
The typical cost of a wedding cake in the United States is around $500, however the price of a wedding cake will vary depending on the size, shape, and decorative features of the cake. The majority of couples spend between $300 and $700 on their wedding cake, however in larger cities or for really large and complex cakes, cake expenditures closer to $1000 – $1200 are not unusual.
How to Estimate Wedding Cake Prices
- Wedding cakes are one of the most beautiful, delicious, and well-loved aspects of the wedding ritual. Although most couples opt to serve cake at their wedding receptions, even if they also serve other desserts, most couples do so because it is a beautiful addition to the reception: the cake itself serves as a decorative element in the room, most people enjoy eating cake, and the act of cutting and sharing your first bite of sweetness as a married couple is a time-honored tradition. However, when it comes to determining your wedding budget, how much does a wedding cake truly cost is important to know. If you’re attempting to figure out how much to spend on your wedding cake, it’s crucial to understand how cakes are priced: Wedding cakes are priced by the slice rather than by the complete cake, according to cake bakers. A slice of cake with buttercream frosting costs around $4, and a slice of cake with fondant costs approximately $5. To state the obvious, the greater the number of pieces of cake you will require, the more the overall cost of your wedding cake will be. Fortunately, we have some suggestions (see below) for ways you may reduce your wedding cake expenditures, such as feeding your guests ″half-servings,″ i.e. planning for 12 slices of cake per person, and serve your guests ″half-servings.″ Finding out how many pieces you’ll need for your cake and working backwards from there is all it takes to estimate the size of your cake. For reference, below are the approximate dimensions for the amount of slices you’ll receive from various cake sizes: 6″ tier = 14 slices
- 8″ tier = 26 slices
- 10″ tier = 40 slices
- 12″ tier = 56 slices
- 14″ tier = 78 slices
- 16″ tier = 100 slices
- 6″ tier = 14 slices
- 8″ tier = 26 slices
- 10″ tier = 40 slices
Factors That Affect Wedding Cake Prices
One factor to consider is the size of the cake.The larger the cake, the more expensive it is.The term ″size″ in this context refers to both the overall dimensions of the cake and the number of layers it contains.2.Cake Shape: Round or square cakes are easier to create and bake in conventional pans since they are less complicated.Cakes with intricate shapes, such as hexagons or unique shapes, may