Whether you prefer chocolate, raspberry or almond, wedding cake is generally priced by the slice, and the average wedding cake cost can be anywhere from $1.50 to $12 per slice (a wide range, we know), depending on a multitude of factors.
The average U.S. wedding cake costs around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online service that matches customers with local professionals. On the lower end, couples spend around $125 and on the higher end, they typically spend upward of $700—often over $1,000!
How much should you spend on a wedding cake?
While the average spend of a wedding cake is around £300, it’s becoming more and more common for couples to want a wedding cake that stands out and plays centre stage at their wedding reception – just search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some truly amazing creations! However, cakes like these come with a cost attached.
How do you Price a cake?
I use this for smaller custom cakes, rather than wedding cakes (which are usually priced by the number of servings ). Cake Price = Labor (hours of estimated work x your hourly rate) + Cost of Ingredients + Overhead
How much does a wedding cake cost in Australia?
Wedding Cakes Cost Examples: Servings Round Tier Cake Approx Prices AU$ up to 30 people 5 and 8′ (2 tier) $165 up to 50 people 6 and 10′ (2 tier) $275 up to 75 people 5, 8 and 10′ (3 tier) $450 18 more rows
How much does a five-tier wedding cake cost?
On the other end of the scale, five-tier wedding cakes can cost as much as £1,000. The price could be higher if the cake is adorned with crystals and other luxurious touches.
How much is a wedding cake for 150 guests?
For 150 guests, you will need about 125-135 servings of your wedding cake.
Whats the average cost of a wedding cake UK?
A wedding cake from a luxury bakery in the UK usually costs from £450 to £750. A standard cake paper usually charges £250 to £550 for a three-tier cake that serves 95 people. A designer wedding cake in the UK easily costs £800. Delivery fees for a wedding cake cost more.
How much wedding cake do I need for 200 guests?
Reviewing all the cakes found by the wedding cake calculator, for 200 guests we recommend a 5 tier wedding cake where the tiers are 14″, 12″, 10″ and 4″. The average price of such a cake will be between $800 and $850 for US in 2022.
Why is wedding cake so expensive?
‘Remember, the majority of the cost of your wedding cake is due to the design and the time and supplies it takes to execute,’ she says. ‘Subtracting the cost of the actual edible cake won’t make a significant difference with an over the top, super custom design.’
How much cake do I need for 50 guests?
For 50 guests, you will be needing 40-45 servings from your wedding cake.
What does a wedding budget include?
“A budget begins with a guest list that informs most of your costs. Be prepared to spend the most (around 40 percent) on taking care of guests’ basic needs—that’s venue, food, and beverage.’ Alicia Fritz is a Michigan-based wedding planner and the founder of A Day in May Event Planning & Design.
What should a wedding cake cost?
The national average cost for wedding cakes is $350, but costs typically range from $125 to $700. Bakers typically price wedding cakes by the slice, and charge between $2.50 and $8 per slice, according to Bake My Day Baking in Dallas, Texas.
How much does a wedding cost?
The average cost of a wedding in 2021 was $28,000 (including the ceremony and reception), according to The Knot’s 2021 Real Weddings Study. Here’s what you should know about wedding costs and how to realistically estimate how much you’ll spend to take the plunge.
How much are wedding photographers UK?
In our latest wedding photographer survey the average cost for wedding photography in the UK for 2020 is £1,590. We have conducted this survey over the last 3 years and the change has been ever so slight, overall the average is around the £1500 mark. The average price for wedding photographer for 2019-2020 is £1,590.
How many will a 3-tier cake feed?
Cake Tiers and Serving Sizes
So a classic 3-tier cake with 12, 10, and 8 inch layers serves about 100 people. Narrower cakes will be smaller, more affordable, and serve fewer people.
What is the standard size of a 3-tier wedding cake?
Three-tier wedding cakes are definitely a popular choice for couples. A standard size of 6″, 8″ and 10″ 3 layer tiers, would give you approximately 90 portions, which is a good amount of servings for an average sized wedding.
How much does a 4-tier wedding cake feed?
4 tier wedding cakes start at 18 pounds (75 servings) using 6′, 8′, 10′, & 12′ tiers.
Cake sizes and recommended servings.
|2 lb. (8′)||8 – 12 servings|
|4 lb. (10′)||16 – 24 servings|
|5 lb. (12′)||20 – 30 servings|
|6 lb. (12′)||25 – 35 servings|
Is it cheaper to do a wedding cake or cupcakes?
Choosing cupcakes, pies, or doughnuts for your wedding can be cheaper than getting a wedding cake. While the actual pricing will depend on your bakery, these items don’t require much decorating time, so you’ll be saving on labor for your wedding dessert.
Why are Starbucks cake pops so expensive?
While the ingredients may be cost-effective, bakers charge for their work (and rightfully so). That said, one major component of the high price of Starbucks cake pops is the labor. Someone has to form the cake into balls, dip them in chocolate, and design them. That costs money!
Why do cakes cost so much?
Depending on how special and elaborate clients want cake details to be, it can increase the cost because it is labor intensive and it may require new tools necessary to create intricate designs. Clean edges, perfect lines, realistic flowers, figurines, and color matching require artistic skill and time.
What is a reasonable price for a wedding cake?
There are a lot of factors that go into determining the average wedding cake prices. The average overall cost landing at $540. The range is as low as $1.50 and as high as $12.00 per slice. It’s always best to have a clear idea of how many guests you are expecting before you book your catering or put a deposit on your banquet hall.
How much should I budget for my wedding cake?
– Quarter Sheet Cake – 54 servings – Half Sheet Cake – 108 servings – Full Sheet Cake – 192 servings
How much wedding cake do I actually need?
When you hire a wedding cake baker, he or she will ask you how many servings you would like for your guests. The majority of guests at a wedding do not take a slice of cake, so you can usually order enough cake for 77 to 85 percent of them.
How much did you spend on your wedding cake?
You can also purchase cute, personalized cake toppers to add an extra-special touch to the dessert. Whether you prefer chocolate, raspberry or almond, wedding cake is generally priced by the slice, and the average wedding cake cost can be anywhere from $1.50 to $12 per slice (a wide range, we know), depending on a multitude of factors.
This Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake
Here’s how much you should set aside for your dessert course.Having a cake at your wedding is one of the most common wedding traditions that has been around for quite some time.According to a recent internal survey, 75 percent of couples who tied the knot in the past year included dessert in their reception.If you’re wondering how much the typical wedding cake costs, we conducted a poll of over 15,000 couples who were married in 2021 to find out the answer to that question.Wedding cakes often cost $500 to $1,000 in total, according to our research (similar to what couples spent in 2019).Of course, this figure is a national average, and the cost of your wedding cake may vary depending on a variety of criteria such as the number of tiers, the kind of cake, and the decorations used.
So it should come as no surprise that wedding cakes are often not the same as the ordinary pastries seen at a grocery shop.Rather, they are confections that have been specially created.We recommend that you deal with a professional pastry chef or cake designer for your wedding cake because they are professionals in their fields.
They can provide you advice on things like the flavor profiles for your wedding cake and the amount of batter you’ll need to make for your 150-person guest list.A professional wedding cake baker was hired by 81 percent of couples to create their dessert, according to our survey, which was conducted in 2012.While your wedding cake will serve as a sweet treat for your guests, it may also serve as a source of entertainment for those in attendance.
According to our research, 77 percent of couples who exchanged their vows in 2021 held a cake-cutting ceremony during their reception.When it comes to your reception, your wedding cake can also serve as a unique piece of decor.One in every five couples said they used unique light projections on their wedding cakes, dance floors, and walls, and two percent claimed they had 3-D wedding cake decorations, according to the survey.If you want to make the dessert even more unique, you may purchase charming, personalized cake toppers to go with it.
The typical price of a wedding cake may range anywhere from $1.50 to $12 per slice (which is a vast range, we know), based on a variety of factors, including the type of cake you choose and how many guests will be attending the reception.Your baker will work out the specifics, but keep in mind that fondant icing (rather than buttercream frosting), upscale filling tastes, intricate molded forms, brilliant colors, and handcrafted sugar flower detailing will all increase the cost of your dessert.Additionally, keep in mind that you’re not just paying for a product, but also for a service—you will pay for the cake designer’s time and work, in addition to a delivery charge.
- What is the most important aspect influencing the price of a wedding cake?
- The amount of people that will be attending your event.
- The average cost of a wedding cake for 50 or less attendees was $319, while a cake for more than 100 guests was $600, according to our research.
- The more the number of people you invite, the greater the amount of money you will spend on cake.
- Are you looking for a way to save money?
- The key to saving money is to purchase a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ For example, if you have a guest list of 300 people, get a cake for 150 people and serve it in ″half-servings.″ (Generally speaking, people will leave pieces of pizza on the table that are just half-eaten.) The wedding cake of your dreams will be created on a smaller scale, and the price will be one that you can comfortably afford.
- In addition to the traditional wedding cake, there are additional dessert alternatives to consider for your own special day.
- In fact, 61 percent of couples who were married in 2021 served a dessert other than the conventional wedding cake to their guests as part of their wedding reception.
- Cookies were the most popular non-cake option, with 40 percent of couples included the sweet delicacy in their dessert bar as a result of the survey.
- Cupcakes were provided by four out of every ten couples, while pastries were served by 26 percent.
- Doughnuts, ice cream sandwiches, s’mores, cake pops, and cheesecake are just a few of the other inventive dessert table options available.
- We advocate dealing with a baking specialist, regardless of whatever option you pick, because they can produce exquisite confections to your exact requirements (croquembouche or themed macarons included).
- You’re not sure where to begin?
- Check out our gallery of one-of-a-kind wedding cake designs, or browse through our Real Wedding pages for inspiration (they contain wedding albums from real couples).
- Then, once you’ve made all of your major selections (flavors, wedding cake size, tiers, and decorations), speak with an expert to acquire an estimate and collaborate with them to design the wedding cake of your dreams (hello, cake tasting!
If you are a fan of old-fashioned wedding traditions, you might want to consider keeping the top tier of your wedding cake to share with your guests at a later date.
Wedding Cake Prices: How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
- Wedding cake shopping is by certainly one of the most pleasurable jobs associated with wedding preparation – but how much does a wedding cake cost? Something to keep in mind about wedding cake pricing is that they might vary greatly based on the type of cake that you desire. In addition to the size (although this does have a role), the style and finish can have an impact on the price. The price of your cake may also be affected by the experience and location of the cake maker. Having said that, it is easy to have a general notion of what to expect in terms of price. With the help of industry professionals, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide to wedding cake prices that will help you and your partner feel confident that what you’re paying is fair and reasonable, no matter what your budget is. We’ll also provide you with some suggestions on how to save money along the road! READ ON FOR MORE INFORMATION a collection of 21 little wedding cakes perfect for intimate wedding receptions
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavors That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavours That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- How to Decorate a Plain Wedding Cake in 30 Different Ways
What Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake?
However, while the average cost of a wedding cake is roughly £300, it is becoming increasingly usual for couples to desire a wedding cake that is unique and takes centre stage at their reception – simply search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some absolutely incredible designs! Cakes like these, on the other hand, have a monetary price tag attached to them.
How Much Should I Pay for a Wedding Cake?
Remember that there is no ″correct″ answer; instead, consider how significant the cake is to your celebration.For those of you who enjoy baking or just have a sweet appetite, it may be appropriate to allocate a larger portion of your money to the cake.If you and your spouse, on the other hand, are adamantly opposed to the concept of a celebratory sponge, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t celebrate at all!Take into consideration the occasion for which the cake is being served.Are you utilizing it for ornamental purposes as a dessert table highlight and not intending to serve it to everyone, or are you using it in lieu of your pudding and intending to serve it to each and every person in attendance?
What Factors Affect the Price of a Wedding Cake?
When it comes to purchasing a wedding cake, there are a variety of various aspects that will influence the price you will pay.
The Time of Year
The cost of wedding cakes does not fluctuate significantly depending on the season, in contrast to certain other types of wedding suppliers that modify their pricing at different seasons of the year.Having said that, if you’re getting married during peak wedding season and/or on a weekend, you might expect to notice an increase in prices because wedding cake providers will be at their busiest.
The Location of Your Wedding
Wedding cake vendors in London and the South East tend to charge greater costs than those in the rest of the nation, however there are a variety of other factors that influence the final price of the cake.You should also consider the possibility of additional shipping fees.Nicola Nicholls of The Pretty Sugar Cake Company explains that ″location might contribute to the overall cost of the cake because most cake makers will charge a delivery fee depending on round trip mileage/time needed to deliver and set up the cake.″ ″Selecting a vendor that is closer to the venue might be more cost effective in some cases.″ READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
The Wedding Cake Size
The final cost of your wedding cake will be determined by the size of your wedding cake and the number of guests that will be served by it.In order to feed at least 100 wedding guests, you’ll need a wedding cake with three to four layers at a minimum, which will raise your total cost to around £400.In the words of Dee Farrance, owner of Sugar High Cakes, ″we always advise and encourage our clients to remember that when you purchase a wedding cake, you are mostly paying for the artist’s time.″ ″It may take up to a week to make a three-tiered wedding cake,″ says the baker.
The Wedding Cake Design
However, while the size of your wedding cake will be a big element in the pricing, the design of your wedding cake will have the greatest impact on how much it costs you in terms of money.The creation of a cake design with a lot of detail, such as handcrafted sugar flowers, hand-piping details, ruffles, and other embellishments, takes significantly longer, which raises the cost of the cake, according to Nicola.″The creation of a single sugar rose might take up to an hour.
- Custom sugar flowers, hand piping detail, ruffles, stenciling work, and other labor-intensive elements will increase the cost of the cake, since you are paying for the baker’s time and expertise.″ Naked wedding cakes, for example, may be prepared with significantly less effort than cakes covered in fondant and decorated with handcrafted sugar decorations, resulting in a lower overall cost.
- You may believe that going custom will increase the cost, and in some circumstances, this is true – but not in all cases.
- According to Nicola, ″the pricing will always depend on what the design is, whether it is a prior design that has been requested or an entirely new design.″ ″For example, a very basic new design would be less expensive than a prior, more intricate design, which would be more expensive.
- My cakes are always made to order since there are always certain features that are unique to each cake.″
The Wedding Cake Ingredients
Aside from the design features, the sort of cake you select may make a difference as well. In Nicola’s opinion, fruit cakes and those containing luxury ingredients such as Champagne and liquors will always be more expensive than a vanilla sponge cake for example.
What Type of Wedding Cake Can You Get for Your Budget?
With the goal of making the process of purchasing your wedding cake as simple and straight forward as possible, we’ve put up a comprehensive list of what you can anticipate from a cake maker for pricing ranging between £100 and more than £1,000.While these costs are not the same for all wedding cake vendors due to a variety of elements to take into consideration, they serve as useful guides for couples who are unsure of what they may obtain for their budget.
Wedding Cakes Up to £150
Instead of fondant, a very basic, single-tiered wedding cake may be had for less than £100.It will be frosted with buttercream (or left bare) rather than fondant.Although, given that this is the lower end of the spectrum, there isn’t much opportunity for individualized embellishments or show-stoppers, with £100 to spend, you can expect to receive a tiny, basic, and beautiful wedding cake that will serve around 20-30 people on average.
- Cake topper and flowers (check with your florist first to ensure that the flowers are appropriate for the cake) may always be used to add interest to a cake.
- Select a supermarket design and decorate it yourself, or choose a smaller cake design and save money by purchasing a larger cake for less money.
- A wedding cake that serves up to 120 guests is available from merchants such as Marks & Spencer and Waitrose if you are planning a huge wedding party.
- However, while this is a fantastic offer for couples who are looking to save money on their wedding cake, the cakes are mass-produced and generally only come in a few basic flavors, such as chocolate or lemon.
MORE INFORMATION: Supermarket Wedding Cakes: Low-Cost Wedding Cakes from the High Street
Wedding Cakes for £150 – £300
Increasing your wedding cake budget to around £300 will provide you with additional possibilities. You can anticipate to be able to buy a more elaborate single-tier wedding cake or a tiny two-tier wedding cake with a plain or bare design that serves up to 50 guests.
Wedding Cakes for £300 – £400
More possibilities are available if you increase your wedding cake budget to around £300.00. You can anticipate to be able to buy a more elaborate single-tier wedding cake or a tiny two-tier wedding cake with a simple or bare design that serves up to 50 people..
Wedding Cakes for £450 – £600
Designing a cake in this pricing category may be quite complicated, according to Ann’s Designer Cakes’ team: ″Our nude, royal iced swirl or drip wedding cakes are an excellent indication of what you can expect to pay in this price range.Even though the designs of these cakes are simple, we are able to create something really lovely and special for a couple’s wedding by using fresh fruits, berries, and silk flowers into the design.″ This pricing range is the beginning point for a three-tier fondant cake that will serve 80-120 guests on a budget.Couples with a budget of £600 for their wedding cake should expect more design work and a greater variety of flavors than those with a lesser budget.
Wedding Cakes for £700 – £800
Increasing your wedding cake budget to £800 offers you a whole new world of possibilities. Couples should anticipate at least three or four six-inch tiers, sugar work, and flower arrangements — as well as other design components – for this fee. READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
Wedding Cakes for £800 – £1,000
You will receive even more creative work and attention to detail if you increase your wedding cake budget to £1,000 or more.″According to Dee, ″for this price, you should anticipate the majority of four-tier cakes and some simpler five-tier desserts to be available.″ ″These cakes will typically incorporate some time-consuming aspects, such as intricate fondant fabric effects, hand piping patterns, or hand-painted embellishments,″ says the author.More information may be found at ’33 Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Cake Maker ‘.
- A couple that expects their wedding cake to be a genuine focal point at their celebration, and to really stand out and be adored, should be prepared to pay this amount,″ adds the expert ″Laura expresses herself.
- ″A great deal of intricate work goes into these cakes, and they are frequently covered in a great deal of sugar work and detail.″
Wedding Cakes Over £1,000
For a wedding cake that costs more than £1,000, you can expect nothing less than an extraordinary confectionary creation.You’ll be dealing with a very experienced and talented cake decorator who is likely to be booked up months in advance of your wedding.Expect at least two consultations to create a completely customized cake: an initial appointment to discuss needs and sample a variety of cake flavors, followed by a second visit to inspect the design and finalize details.
- The options available at this pricing point are mind-boggling.
- These cakes start at seven levels and can incorporate custom-made elements as well as intricately crafted bespoke emblems and logos.
- A discount on extra sweet goods like as edible favors, cake pops, and cookies may also be available for you to take advantage of.
- It’s really easy to go over budget on your wedding – so make sure you’ve read our 7 suggestions for staying on track with your budget before planning your big day!
Cake Pricing Guide: How To Price A Cake
- It’s reasonable to expect something extraordinary when you’re spending more than £1,000 on a wedding cake! You’ll be dealing with a very experienced and talented cake decorator who is likely to be booked up months in advance of your event.. Expect at least two consultations to create a completely customised cake: an initial appointment to discuss needs and taste a variety of cake flavors, followed by a second meeting to inspect the design and confirm the specifics. The options available at this pricing point are mind-bogglingly appealing. Starting at seven levels, these cakes are able to feature custom-made elements as well as intricately customised insignia. Additionally, you may be eligible for a discount on extra sweet products such as edible favors, cake pops, and cookies. Keep in mind that it’s easy to go over budget on your wedding, so read our 7 ideas for remaining on track with your budget.
Basic Formula to Price a Cake
When estimating the cost of a personalized cake, I prefer to follow the method shown below.Instead of wedding cakes, I like to utilize this for smaller bespoke cakes (which are usually priced by the number of servings).Cake price is labor (estimated hours of work multiplied by your hourly rate) plus the cost of ingredients plus overhead.
- It all boils down to fundamental cost accounting, which takes into account both direct and indirect expenses.
- And, of course, recognizing the importance of your time!
- I’d like to emphasize that this approach may be used to baked goods such as handmade cookies and cupcakes.
- It is effective for every baked item that a home baker is capable of producing.
Labor: Valuing Your Time
When determining the cost of a bespoke cake, I prefer to follow the method below.Rather than wedding cakes, I like to utilize this for smaller bespoke cake orders (which are usually priced by the number of servings).Cake price is labor (estimated hours of work multiplied by your hourly rate) plus the cost of ingredients plus any other fees or expenses.
- Basic cost accounting is required, with both direct and indirect expenses taken into consideration.
- Lastly and most importantly, respect for your time!
- The fact that this notion applies to handmade cookies and cupcakes is something I’d like to draw your attention to.
- It may be used to produce any baked item that a home baker is capable of producing.
Estimating the Time a Cake Will Take
Then you might wonder, ″but what if a cake takes longer to bake and decorate than I want it to?″ And this is when things become difficult.An unexpected request from an existing or potential client might be extremely difficult to fulfill.It’s possible that you have no clue how long something will take, or that you’ll have to attempt it several times before you succeed.
- In those sorts of scenarios, all you can do is make the best guess you can and hope that you’re near to being correct.
- Some cakes will take longer to bake than anticipated, while others will take less time.
- I try to reassure myself that everything will work out in the end.
- I’d also want to point out that I only take into account active time for this portion of the calculation.
Non-productive time, such as waiting for your cake layers to cool or for a fondant feature to set, is not included in this calculation.
The second aspect that might be difficult to figure out is your hourly rate of compensation.When it comes to cake, the further along you are on your trip, the easier it is to find this out.I know that when I first started out, I was grateful for any cake orders that came my way.
- In addition, I lacked experience and confidence in my abilities.
- The idea of compensating myself for each cake I baked sounded absurd at the time.
- But you know what?
- I’ll tell you something.
If you worked in a bakery, you would be compensated on an hourly basis!Even if you believe you are still in the learning process, you should pay yourself at least the minimum salary.You may also modify your hourly rate to reflect your previous work experience and abilities.You may start off at a slower rate, but as your talents expand over time, you will be able to boost your rate of progress.
Cost of Ingredients: Direct Costs
Now we’ll get to the second half of my calculation, which is the cost of your raw materials.All of these expenses are categorized as direct costs.The ingredients you use to bake each cake are included in your direct costs.
- It’s critical that you keep track of these so that you can figure out how much it costs to produce a particular cake.
- Most of us have a collection of go-to recipes (such as my vanilla cake recipe), and it’s actually rather simple to figure out how much it will cost with a little bit of research and calculation.
- Even though this may be the work of my inner CPA, I constructed an Excel spreadsheet to assist me in rapidly calculating the cost of each cake that I make.
- I understand that not everyone enjoys statistics in the same way that I do, but I believe that the majority of bakers out there like being organized and exact.
Create a Pricing Spreadsheet
A costing sheet is less difficult to develop than you may believe, and once it has been made, the file will take care of the rest of the job for you.
List Out Your Ingredients
Each and every item I purchase for my cakes is listed on a master sheet, which includes everything from butter to freeze-dried strawberry powder! Following the completion of my ingredients list, I added a price column to the right of it.
Price of Each Ingredient
After that, I went through my grocery shop and receipts to find out how much each component was going to cost.However, you are not required to know how much a container of salt costs.The price of a teaspoon or the cost of a cup of flour is essential information.
- The next column, which I created, provides a standard serving amount for each component.
- For example, I use a teaspoon to measure baking powder and a cup to measure brown sugar while baking.
Calculate the Cost per Unit
This subsequent step will take some time.You must determine how many servings of each item are included within a container or bag.Consider the following example: a small bag of granulated sugar contains approximately 8 cups of sugar.
- If you’ve made it this far, consider yourself lucky.
- The cost per unit of each component can now be readily calculated, and the results can be linked to your recipes!
Calculate the Cost for Your Most Popular Recipes
For each of my most popular cake recipes, I created a separate tab, and then calculated the costs for each of my cake batter and frosting varieties. I realize this is a lot of effort, but it will be worth it in the end. It also allows you to see how much money you’re actually making on each cake that you sell, which is a valuable tool.
Overhead and Special Equipment: Indirect Costs
Finally, we’ve reached the final component of our equation — indirect expenses.Indirect expenses are everything you spend money on to produce a cake that is not directly related to the components.Depending on the cake, this might involve variable expenditures like the purchase of cake boxes, cardboard cake rounds, parchment paper, or even particular cutters or molds that are required to fulfill the cake order successfully.
- Fixed expenditures such as rent and energy, as well as large baking equipment like as ovens and stand mixers, are included.
- Even though the majority of us home bakers do not have a distinct area to work from, I believe that virtually all of us have purchased baking equipment!
- Whether you’re using an edible printer or an airbrush, you should assess the depreciation of such instruments throughout their estimated lifetime and include them in your overhead costs calculations.
- You’ll be able to accurately account for all of the expenses associated with baking cakes.
These kinds of expenses may quickly pile up, so it’s critical to factor them into your price calculations.
Recognizing Your Clientele
As I previously stated, one of the most common mistakes that home bakers do is attempting to compete with grocery store baked goods.I believe that we have all done it at some point in our lives.Individuals who dash to Walmart at the last minute to pick up a sheet cake, on the other hand, are not the same people who reach out to you weeks (or months) in advance to commission you to make a unique cake for a special occasion.
- Grocery stores employ lower-cost ingredients and bake in large quantities.
- You’re working with top-of-the-line ingredients to create unique tastes and visually appealing presentations.
- Your cake should not be priced at a level that is comparable to the cost of a supermarket cake.
You Should Be Too Expensive For Some People
In 2016, when I was still selling my cakes, the average price for an 8-inch tier cake was $100, according to my records.I had more demand than I could handle, and individuals in New York City are ready to pay a lot of money for unique items.Even after that, people continued to tell me that I should charge more for my cakes.
- It really blew my head.
- People typically spend more than $100 on a custom-designed cake.
- Your interest rate should be high enough that some customers will choose to walk away.
- Unless you’re receiving complaints that you’re charging too much, you’re probably not charging enough.
To find out how much people in your region are prepared to pay for a bespoke cake, it’s quite acceptable to ask around first.By contacting other custom bakers in your region, you may get a sense of what rates are going for in your area.It’s also a fantastic way to meet new people!
Don’t Try To Undercut Other Bakers / Bakeries
I used to charge $100 for an 8-inch tier cake back in 2016 (when I was still selling my cakes).The demand for personalized items in New York City outstripped my ability to meet them, and customers are ready to pay a premium for them.And people still told me I should charge more for my cakes, even after all of this time!
- The experience was really mind-blowing.
- Cakes made to order typically cost $100 or more.
- If you want to attract customers, your rate should be high enough to drive some to walk away.
- Nobody is informing you that your prices are excessive, which means you are most likely undercharging.
To find out how much people in your region are prepared to pay for a bespoke cake, it’s quite acceptable to inquire around.Inquire with other custom bakers in your region to get an idea of what they charge for their services.A terrific method to meet new people as well!
Understand That Other Bakers Aren’t Competition, They’re Fellow Artists
When I first started baking cakes, I viewed other bakers as competitors, which was foolish of me.In truth, each cake maker has their own own style and range of products to offer.It may take some time for you to find your own personal style, but the more cakes you bake, the more you will organically develop it.
- I discovered that I really enjoyed working with American buttercream and that I adored creating bright, fun cake designs!
What Goes Around Comes Around
It’s uncommon that I got to deal with fondant, and when I did, I’d happily recommend them to one of my other cake buddies who specialized in those sorts of cakes, rather than working with them myself.Alternatively, if my cake calendar was completely packed, I would refer customers to other area bakers whom I knew and trusted.When the same thing happened to them, they returned the favor, and as a result, we developed a wonderful working connection between ourselves.
Delivery vs. Pick Up
Was there another rookie error I made at the start of my journey?I DID NOT CHARGE FOR DELIVERY IN THIS CASE.It makes me feel uncomfortable to say that out loud.
- If someone requests that you bring a cake, you should always charge a fee.
- You have the option of charging a flat cost for delivery within a specified radius, or you may charge a distance-based fee for deliveries outside of that radius.
- In either case, remember to factor in the cost of gas, the wear and tear on your vehicle, and the monetary value of the time it will take you to deliver the cake to your customer.
Strategies for Friends and Family
- If you’ve learned how to price a cake for business, what do you do when friends and family want you to bake something for them? There is no correct answer to this question, and it is a matter of personal preference. Baking businesses have done a number of things, including: offering a specified discount (for example, 50% off)
- just charging for ingredients
- providing cakes free of charge, but only to direct family members
- charging full price.
No matter the technique you use, make your intentions crystal clear from the start.When you explain how much money and work goes into baking a cake, the majority of people are sympathetic and accepting.I adored preparing birthday cakes for my friends for no charge, and I always thought of it as a gift from me to them!
- As a result, I never felt any sort of pressure to bake for them because they never requested or expected me to do so.
- But I also didn’t have to worry about my extended relatives requesting baptism and anniversary cakes for me.
- A large number of people, on the other hand, are in a different scenario.
- It is best to establish ground rules in advance if you have demanding family or friends who want you to drop everything and prepare intricate cakes for them.
Thus, expectations will be more realistic, and future conflict will be avoided.
Key Takeaways on How To Price a Cake:
- You should respect your time.
- Maintain meticulous records on the costs of your ingredients.
- Include any additional expenditures (such as cake boxes, special equipment, and so on) in your pricing
- Understand the type of clients you’re aiming for, and work hard to expand your consumer base
- Make contact with other bakers in the area
- Deliveries will be charged a fee.
- Establish a consistent expectation for friends and family members in order to avoid awkward situations.
Let Me Know Your Thoughts!
If you have any further suggestions on how to price a cake, or if you have any questions that I haven’t addressed, please leave a remark in the section below.
Other Related Posts:
- In order to focus on my baking business full-time, I quit my corporate job. Here are some things you should think about before quitting your corporate job.
- ‘What Should I Do With All of My Cakes That I Don’t Sell?’ I wonder.
- My business model is that of a cake baker who does not sell her cakes.
The Wedding Cake Prices Guide
Most couples scratch their brains when it comes to estimating the typical cost of a wedding cake, and some wedding cake costs have young couples fleeing for cover.Remember that wedding cakes are prepared to order, and no one wants to make a mistake, right?Fortunately, getting an estimate isn’t as difficult as it might seem.
- I’ve done some research on wedding cake expenses in order to provide a general sense of what to expect for the discriminating bride.
- There are a variety of wedding cake layer sizes available to accommodate events ranging from a small wedding to bigger gatherings of up to 350 guests.
- Please keep in mind that these are estimates only.
- A classic wedding fruit cake or mud cake coated with buttercream icing and garnished with seasonal flowers serves as the foundation for these desserts.
Serving sizes are estimated finger-sized quantities that are meant to be served with coffee or tea in the morning.If you’re having trouble deciding on a wedding cake theme or form, we can help.Simply browsing through our gallery of wedding cake ideas can assist you in deciding on the theme, size, and form of your wedding cake.We’ve brought some novel concepts that you might not have previously considered.
What Factors Determine the Overall Cake Price?
It’s A Work of Art
Wedding cakes are truly works of art, and the time and effort that goes into crafting these masterpieces may be extensive.It’s crucial to remember, however, that the majority of the cost of your wedding cake will be spent on the creation of your wedding cake, with the least amount of money spent on the actual components.This is where the prices come into play: the type of icing or frosting you choose, as well as how the cake is adorned, such as simple swirls or elaborate artwork.
- The size of the cake and whether it is stacked or tiered are important considerations.
- The number of servings is a direct indication of the number of people that will be attending your event.
- As well as your own preference in wedding cake topper – the cost of which varies.
How to Determine Cake Price:
When it comes to the wedding cake icing or frosting, you have a variety of options to choose from, including rolled fondant icing, marzipan, white chocolate frosting, milk chocolate frosting, or dark chocolate frosting, royal icing, chocolate ganache, and flavoured buttercream.Rolled fondant and marzipan are the most expensive because a significant amount of time and effort is required to create a perfectly smooth and level canvas for the many possibilities of cake design.Rolled fondant and marzipan are extremely fragile and can be easily torn during the application procedure if not done so by skilled professionals.
- Cake Decorating: The cake decorations you choose will be determined by the frosting you choose.
- If you’ve chosen rolled fondant, it will be firm and flawlessly smooth once it has been allowed to cure entirely.
- The possibilities for interior design are endless.
If, on the other hand, you like your cake to be coated with either buttercream or ganache, then swirls, patterns, fresh flowers or silk flowers, ornamental patterns or swirls, and even beautiful organza and satin ribbons are your finest options for decorating your cake in this case.It is recommended by the Fairy Godmother that buttercream be avoided if you are having a summer wedding since it is wonderful but not recommended for winter weddings.The buttercream will melt fast and will not be able to withstand prolonged exposure to the elements.It is preferable to use rolled rondant or marzipan.
Decorating your cake with fresh or silk flowers and a nice ribbon can allow you to keep your expenditures down while yet looking elegant.3.Cake Layering and Tiering: The more layers or tiers your cake has, the more expensive it will be to make.The number of layers and the size of each tier contribute to the overall cost of the cake.4.
Cake Shape & Novelty Cakes: When it comes to cake shapes, plain round shaped cakes are the least expensive option available.The majority of wedding cake shops will have all of the different round baking pan sizes on hand.The square shape is also fairly popular, however it is used a bit less frequently than the round shape.
However, if you want an oval-shaped cake, a heart-shaped cake, or something else that isn’t as popular, you may have to acquire these cake pans specifically for your cake.Whenever it comes to novelty cakes or unique theme cakes – for example, a Topsy Turvy cake – the cake will need to be cut in a certain form and re-structured in order to take on the shape of your chosen theme.This adds to the overall cost of the wedding cake because to the additional time required to produce the design.
5.The Size of the Wedding Cake: The size of your wedding cake is a direct indication of the number of people that will be attending your wedding.In general, the larger and more elaborate the wedding cake is designed, the higher the possibility that it may collapse on guests.It takes extra procedures and effort to ensure that the construction of the cake does not collapse, which means that large cakes require more time to guarantee their structure.
- As a matter of fact, some elaborate wedding cakes can only be created during the event.
- These are only a few examples of the hidden costs.
- How many servings you’ll need will, of course, depend on your guest list – and whether or not you’ll be saving the top tier to commemorate your first wedding anniversary; if you do, you’ll need to purchase an additional layer or tier to accommodate your visitors.
- Cake Toppers: The wedding cake topper can range from a small bouquet of fresh flowers or silk flowers to a custom-made caricature of the bride and groom made from crystal monogrammed topper, photo frame topper, heart-shaped topper, blown-glass topper, themed topper, or a custom-made crystal monogrammed topper of the bride and groom If you’d like to have a look at some of the cake topper categories that I’ve compiled, please see below.
Dream Wedding Cake – On A Shoe-string Budget
Having your dream wedding cake is still possible on a tight budget – simply stick to one showcase cake and keep it as small as possible.Keep the cost of your wedding cake down by ordering a little wedding cake that is coated in your favorite frosting and is in the form you prefer – and then have it professionally adorned.This cake will be on display and will be used in the photographs taken during the cake cutting ceremony.
- Make additional slab cakes (or sheet cakes) to serve to the remainder of your guests as a courtesy.
- Typically, they are prepared in rectangular baking pans and are created with the same ingredients and decorated with the same frosting or icing as your showcase cake.
- It is not necessary to have it elaborately ornamented because it will just be used for cutting and serving purposes.
- Slab of a Sample Wedding Fruit Cake If desired, the slab cakes can be coated with buttercream or flavoured ganache before being covered with a thin layer of fondant or marzipan.
Only the kitchen crew is privy to the existence of these slab cakes.This reduces the expense of wedding cake decoration as well as the time spent stacking or assembling wedding cake tiers.In addition, you will be able to exhibit your ideal cake in any theme you like, as well as provide enough slab cake to satisfy all of your guests.It is by far the least expensive and most elegant method of feeding a large number of guests while keeping prices down, and it is also the most popular.
So How Much Do Wedding Cakes Cost?
For the purpose of determining the cost of a wedding cake, we will use the following example of a buttercream-covered wedding cake with flowers as a guideline.Below you can discover approximate serving sizes as well as approximate wedding cake pricing for the following wedding cakes: 1.A wedding cake with several tiers.
- A wedding fruit cake or a mud cake of your choosing.
- Finger-sized pieces to be served with coffee or tea as an accompaniment.
4.Vanilla buttercream frosting with a vanilla bean flavor.5.Cake decoration should be kept to a bare minimum.
6.A selection of locally sourced, in-season fresh flowers or artificial silk flowers.The costs listed below begin with a basic two-tiered fruit or mudcake with vanilla buttercream frosting for $5.50 per finger-size slice, which is the starting point.Because we’re moving up another tier, we’ve increased the price of each slice by $0.50.
Wedding Cakes Cost Examples:
Approximate Wedding Cake servings for Small Finger Sized Portions for a Round Tiered Wedding Cake
|Servings||Round Tier Cake||Approx Prices AU$|
|up to 30 people||5 and 8″ (2 tier)||$165|
|up to 50 people||6 and 10″ (2 tier)||$275|
|up to 75 people||5, 8 and 10″ (3 tier)||$450|
|up to 100 people||6, 9 and 12″ (3 tier)||$600|
|up to 125 people||6, 9 and 14″ (3 tier)||$750|
|up to 150 people||6, 10 and 16″ (3 tier)||$900|
|up to 175 people||7, 12 and 16″ (3 tier)||$1050|
|up to 200 people||5, 8, 12 and 16″ (4 tier)||$1300|
|up to 225 people||5, 9, 12 and 18″ (4 tier)||$1,450|
|up to 250 people||6, 10, 14 and 18″ (4 tier)||$1,625|
|up to 300 people||5, 9, 12, 14 and 18″ (5 tier)||$2,100|
|up to 350 people||6, 9, 12, 16 and 20″ (5 tier)||$2,450|
|Approximate Wedding Cake serving for finger size portions for a Square tiered Wedding Cake|
|Servings||Square Tier Cake||Approx Prices AU$|
|up to 25 people||5 and 8″ (2 tier)||$165|
|up to 50 people||6 and 10″ (2 tier)||$275|
|up to 75 people||8 and 12″ (2 tier)||$450|
|up to 125 people||6, 9 and 12″ (3 tier)||$750|
|up to 250 people||6, 8, 12 and 16″ (4 tier)||$1,625|
|*All prices quoted based on research done in 2007. Prices may fluctuate due to inflationary pressures or from region to region.*|
Summary On Wedding Cake Prices
And Hidden Wedding Cake Costs
A complex cake will take more time to construct and decorate, whilst huge cakes will require more structure in order to avoid collapsing or tipping over during the baking and decorating process.Some large and complicated wedding cakes may only be made at the wedding reception, which means your cake maker will need to go with at least one assistance in order to create the cake properly (extra man-hours).These are just a few examples of hidden wedding cake expenses.
- Examples of extra upcharges per cake slice are shown in the table below.
|Examples of additional upcharges per slice:|
|Fondant covered frosting:||$1.00|
|Chocolate ganache icing:||$1.00|
|Cream cheese icing:||.50|
|Creamy or chocolate ganache fillings:||.50|
|Fondant or sugar flowers:||$50 – $125.00|
|Chocolate hand made flowers:||$50 – $125.00|
|Custom made toppers:||$50 – $125.00|
|Custom cake plate:||$25 – $125.00|
|Fondant bow topper:||$25.00|
|Chocolate bow topper:||$35.00|
|*All prices quoted based on research done in 2007. Prices may fluctuate due to inflationary pressures or from region to region.*|
Make Your Own Wedding Cake
|Fairy Godmother tip; if you love do-it-yourself projects, you can try to make your own wedding cake. A video tutorial with step by step instructions on how to make a two tiered wedding cake, recipe included. It’s easier than you think.|
Average Cost of Wedding Cake
Please keep in mind that the pricing of wedding cakes vary widely from one bakery to another, especially when it comes to creative wedding cakes.If you already know what you want, you may be able to save money on the wedding cake designer by just looking for wedding cake photographs online and giving them to the wedding cake designer.Below you’ll find a variety of themed wedding cakes to get you started on your hunt for the perfect wedding cake for you.
Wedding Cake Prices 2021
After the main course has been served at a wedding reception, the wedding cake is served.Traditionally, wedding cakes are the focal point of the reception and are sliced by the bride and groom as part of the celebrations of the day.It was traditionally thought that wedding cakes were offered as a sign of good fortune.
- Wedding cakes are far more luxurious than typical cakes when compared to other occasions.
- This dish can have multiple tiers and be made from any number of different ingredients.
- Traditionally, wedding cakes are constructed of fruit and iced with marzipan to give them a luxurious appearance.
- A wedding cake can be made in any shape or flavor you desire these days, thanks to advancements in technology.
Take, for example, a sponge cake that is made up of numerous layers, each with a different flavor and color.At the end of the day, a wedding cake should reflect the personalities of the bride and groom.It is intended to be enjoyed while the guests raise a toast, and as such, it should contribute to the overall feeling of celebration.
How much does a Wedding Cake cost?
Wedding cakes may be as simple or as ornate as you want them to be, so it’s difficult to estimate how much you should expect to pay because it all depends on what you choose. To give you an approximate estimate of how much wedding cakes cost on average in the United Kingdom, consider the following:
What changes the price of a Wedding Cake?
- A vast variety of flavors, sizes, and shapes are available for wedding cakes to suit any taste. Taking your wedding’s theme into consideration might assist you in narrowing down your cake selection options. Here are some more pricing points to consider to assist you in making your decision: The type of wedding cake
- the size of the cake
- the design of the cake
- the cake mixture
- the finish of the cake
- the location
Type of wedding cake
To illustrate, the average cost of a wedding cake will vary depending on the sort of cake you choose.
|Type of wedding cake||Highest average price||Lowest average price|
If you’re on a tight budget, a single layer wedding cake will provide excellent value, with prices starting at only £60.Smaller weddings benefit from this as well because there will be less guests to feed as a result of the reduced number of attendees.On the opposite end of the spectrum, five-tier wedding cakes might cost upwards of £1,000 each layer.
- It is possible that the price will be more if the cake is embellished with crystals and other luxury touches.
- In the end, the price of your wedding cake will be determined by its size, its structure, and its finish.
- Because each organization will have its own pricing structure, the costs will differ from one another.
Wedding cakes should be proportional to the amount of people that will be attending your wedding reception.Consider the following scenario: you have 100 guests and want a cake with at least 3 to 4 tiers, which would cost around £400.Your wedding cake designer will want this information in advance so that they can provide you with recommendations on the sort of size you’ll require as a bare minimum.
- Multiple levels for your wedding cake are doable, albeit they will be more expensive than a simpler design.
The design of your cake is where you can express yourself creatively and have a good time.There’s also the option to keep things simple, or even include your wedding’s general theme, into your invitations.Intricate wedding cake designs will be more expensive, not least because of the additional time required by the baker to complete them properly.
- Element such as intricate fondant fabric effects, piping designs, or other similar hand-painted embellishments would fall under this category.
It’s also vital to consider the cake’s base before proceeding. Traditional wedding cakes are made with fruit that must be allowed to develop before being served, which may result in a higher cost when compared to other sorts of mixtures. Alternatively, you may make a sponge cake, which has the advantage of allowing you to flavor it with any flavoring you like.
There are a variety of possibilities for your wedding cake, ranging from marzipan to royal icing, buttercream to ganache.The finish of your cake will have a significant influence on both the aesthetic presentation as well as the cost of your wedding cake.The more complicated the finishing, similar to the cake design, the more expensive it will be to execute them.
- The ‘naked’ wedding cake is a contemporary fad in which there is very little frosting on the outside of the cake.
It is important to remember the location of your wedding cake because your wedding cake maker will be responsible for delivering and setting up your cake at the venue.A baker who is located a long distance away from the event will charge you more money than a baker who is closer to the location.Check with them to make sure that travel and setup costs are included in their quote before you commit to using their services.
Is it worth getting a Wedding Cake?
The final decision on whether or not to have a wedding cake prepared is entirely up to the couple.However, for the majority of couples, the wedding cake is the star of the show during their reception.Wedding cakes are likewise entrenched in tradition, and your guests will look forward to biting into them after the formality of the ceremony has concluded.
- Traditional wedding cakes are no longer the only option available; nowadays, there is something to fit everyone’s preferences.
- In addition, wedding cakes are delectable!
- With a beautifully prepared wedding cake, you may toast to your new marriage in style.
- Bark can help you identify local bakers that can produce a wedding cake masterpiece for you, whether you want a conventional fruit cake or a chocolate cake.
Average Price Of A Wedding Cake: A 2022 Guide For You
The final decision on whether or not to have a wedding cake prepared is yours to make.However, for the majority of couples, the wedding cake is the star of the show during their wedding celebration.Wedding cakes are likewise steeped in tradition, and your guests will look forward to biting into them after the formality of the ceremony has passed….
- Traditional wedding cakes are no longer the only option available; nowadays, there is something to fit everyone’s preferences and budget.
- In addition, wedding cakes are delectable delights.
- A beautifully created wedding cake will help you to commemorate your union in style.
- Bark can help you identify local bakers that can produce a wedding cake masterpiece, whether it’s a classic fruit cake or a chocolate cake of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most popular wedding cake?
When should you order a wedding cake?
What Is The Average Price Of A Wedding Cake?
In order to determine the typical wedding cake pricing, a variety of considerations must be taken into consideration. The average overall expenditure came to $540 on average.
The Average Cost Of Wedding Cake Per Slice
The prices range from as little as $1.50 per slice to as much as $12.00 per slice. It’s usually a good idea to have a good estimate of how many guests will be attending your event before booking your caterer or putting down a deposit on your banquet location. This is the most effective method to approach the task of planning your wedding cake.
What Impacts The Cost Of A Wedding Cake?
You’re probably thinking to yourself, ″Why can’t I receive a straight answer?″ at this point. Because of all the variables, you’re always coming into large ranges of values. We’ll go over each of them in detail so that you have a better sense of which side of the range you should be focussing on at any given time.
Wedding Cake Ingredients
- 1 Isn’t butter, wheat, sugar, and eggs a