“Muffin top” is a slang term used to describe an accumulation of fat around the midsection, just above the hips. In tight-fitting pants, this extra fat may spill out over the waistband — “just like a muffin above the paper cup,” explains Robert Ziltzer, M.D., FACP, FAAP, obesity medicine physician and coauthor of “Chasing Diets.”
What causes a muffin top?
What Causes Muffin Top Fat? Having excess abdominal fat can be caused by a variety of factors. The most obvious cause of a muffin top is simply carrying extra fat all over.
How do you get rid of a muffin top?
Cardio and HIIT training are crucial if you want to lose your muffin top! High-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts have shown to be the most effective at reducing belly fat. It gets your heart pumping, forcing your heart and lungs to work harder and thus burn more calories.
Are muffin tops normal?
“Any woman can get a muffin top. But women are more likely to gain excess belly weight — especially deep inside the belly — as they go through perimenopause and into menopause when their menstrual cycle ends.
Why is it so hard to lose muffin top?
“Muffin top,” or excess fat around the midsection, is one of the most difficult areas on the body to sculpt into shape. Diet, exercise, sleep, and stress can all impact belly fat, making it particularly stubborn and hard to get rid of.
Is muffin top visceral fat?
The Fat That Makes Up Your Muffin Top and Belly
Your belly consists of both visceral fat and subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat gives you a wide waistband and is considered a health risk if you measure wider than 40 inches around as a man or 35 inches around as a woman.
Is muffin top same as love handles?
Love handles, the pinchable fat on both sides of your stomach that leads to a “muffin top” appearance, are especially stubborn. They do not respond as quickly to diet and exercise changes as the more dangerous visceral fat that is deep within your abdomen and leads to more of a “potbelly” appearance.
How can I lose my muffin top in 2 weeks?
Six ways to beat your muffin top in just two weeks
- Drink more water.
- Do some core workouts.
- Monitor your portions.
- Realise that stress is affecting your weight – and make relaxation a priority.
- Consume fat-burners like green tea and avocado.
- Ditch the sugar.
What workouts get rid of muffin tops?
Do These 7 Exercises Everyday To Get Rid Of Muffin Top Belly
What causes Lovehandles?
The underlying cause of love handles is fat retention. Generally speaking, fat cells accumulate when your body takes in too many calories or you don’t burn as many calories as you’re consuming. Over time, these fat cells can become noticeable as they accumulate in certain areas, such as around your waist and hips.
How long does it take to lose muffin top?
Your muffin top didn’t appear overnight, so you shouldn’t expect to lose it immediately. To gain that weight, you likely ate more calories than your body burned for a few months or a few years. To lose the belly, you’ll have to create a caloric deficit, meaning you take in fewer calories than you burn each day.
Do guys like muffin tops?
Muffin top : As seen here, it can be quite attractive if carried well and flaunted appropriately, If it is not proportionate with the body, it can be quite unattractive and quite unappealing. On the flipside, there are men who prefer toned and slender bodies on women. For them, a muffin top is probably a no no.
What causes muffin top weight gain?
“When there are high levels of estrogen, women tend to store fat in the chest, hips and buttocks but as estrogen levels decrease, there is a shift to store more fat in the abdominal area,” he says.
How can a teenage girl get rid of a muffin top?
Do strength-training and weight-lifting about twice a week.
Girls need to be strong to be healthy, and lifting weights is a great way to lose fat and gain muscle. You should exercise your arms, legs, and abs. You can start with body-weight exercises, like push-ups and crunches, and work up to using the weights.
How to bake muffins tops and a basic muffin recipe?
What is the best exercise to lose Muffin Top?
How to make Muffin Tops?
What is the best exercise for Muffin Top?
What Is a ″Muffin Top″ and How Do I Get Rid of It?
- There’s a good chance you’ve heard someone moan about their ″muffin top″ at some point.
- Unfortunately, they aren’t referring to the perfectly-crusty top of a blueberry muffin or a pumpkin muffin here.
- Instead, it’s more probable that the ″muffin top″ in issue refers to a frequent problem region around the stomach, which includes what many people refer to as ″love handles.″ This article will explain what creates this persistent abdominal fat and what you can do to avoid it.
What Is a Muffin Top?
- It is common terminology to refer to an accumulation of fat around the stomach, just above the hips, as a ″muffin top.″ The additional fat may pour out over the waistband of tight-fitting jeans — ″exactly like a muffin above the paper cup,″ notes Robert Ziltzer, M.D., FACP, FAAP, obesity medicine physician and writer of ″Chasing Diets,″ who describes how this happens.
- According to Ziltzer, there are two forms of belly fat that might contribute to a muffin top: subcutaneous fat (the soft, pinchable fat immediately below the skin) and visceral fat (the fat that is stored deep inside the abdominal cavity) (a deeper layer of fat that surrounds the abdominal organs).
What Causes a Muffin Top?
A number of factors can increase the likelihood of developing a bulge in the belly, including:
- ″Muffin tops″ are manufactured in the same way as genuine muffins are produced in the kitchen.
- Making a habit of eating too many calories every day can lead to fat storage around the midsection, so make sure you are burning more calories than you are consuming, advises Brittany Noel Robles, M.D., M.P.H, CPT, an OBGYN and NASM-certified personal trainer.
- ″If you are eating too many calories every day, it can lead to fat storage around the midsection,″ she says.
According to Ziltzer, your genetics impact how and where you retain fat. While you have no control over your genes, exercise and a balanced diet can assist you in losing weight.
- Anxiety, anxiety, and despair can all contribute to the development of stomach rolls.
- According to Abby Nouis, an ACSM-certified personal trainer and facility director at QuickHIT Fitness in Madison, WI.
- ″Stress causes the production of cortisol in your body, which instructs your body to hang on to that fat, particularly around your waist,″ she explains.
- Stress can also lead to binge eating, which can contribute to weight gain in the long run.
Lack of exercise
If you aren’t burning off as many calories as you consume, those additional calories will almost certainly end up in your midsection. Whether you favor high-intensity interval training (HIIT), barre, dance, or boxing, make sure you’re getting your body moving every day.
Not enough sleep
- According to recent research, a shorter sleep duration is connected with a higher body mass index, a larger waist circumference, and more subcutaneous fat accumulation.
- The lack of sleep has an impact on your hunger, desires, and mood, according to Nouis, and it can also impair your drive to exercise, she adds.
- Relaxing with meditation or stretching before bed might assist you in getting a good night’s sleep.
Can I Lose My Muffin Top?
- Yes, but it will take time and effort on your part as well.
- The muffin top can be lost, according to Robles, who believes it is doable.
- ″However, it is not a solution that can be implemented immediately.″ It is not viable to target fat reduction in specific problem regions of the body.
- However, when you decrease total body fat, you’ll see a reduction in the size of your stomach.
- As a result, Robles believes that the most effective weight-loss strategy is a multi-channel approach that targets the controllable contributing elements, such as nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress reduction.
- Preserving a balanced diet and getting the right amount of calories is essential.
- Nouis advocates eating a variety of nutrient-dense vegetables, such as broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, spinach, and cauliflower, in addition to a sufficient amount of protein.
- Last but not least, remember to take care of yourself.
- Healthy stress management techniques can help you lower cortisol levels in your body and sleep better at night, both of which can help you avoid gaining weight and losing your waistline (or muffin top).
What is a Muffin Top and How do I Get Rid of It?
- When we hear the phrase ″muffin top,″ we may feel a bit self-conscious about our appearance.
- Eventually, we may find ourselves dragging our shirts down or wearing loose-fitting slacks to conceal this portion of our bodies.
- However, having excess fat in this particular location is very typical for both men and women!
- Looking and feeling well, on the other hand, is still the primary objective for many of us.
- Fortunately, in this day and age of modern medicine and technology, we have a variety of options for dealing with this bothersome condition.
- For those interested in learning more about muffin top remedies, please continue reading to find out more information.
What Exactly Is a Muffin Top?
- When it comes to persistent fat around the stomach, the words ″love handles″ and ″muffin tops″ are commonly employed.
- In order to get muffin tops, you need to have a lot of subcutaneous fat and a lot of visceral fat in your belly.
- Subcutaneous fat accounts for 90 percent of our total body fat, with visceral fat accounting for just around 10 percent of total body fat.
- Contrary to popular belief, visceral fat is what makes it so difficult to remove stubborn belly fat.
- The reason for this is because visceral fat is found behind the abdominal wall, making it more difficult to lose weight.
- Not to mention that visceral fat cells have the potential to discharge poisonous compounds into the body, which can lead to catastrophic disorders.
- As a result, preventing this fat from accumulating is extremely crucial for your general health and look!
Muffin Top Causes
Certain causes, ranging from hormone production to food, might result in muffin tops in some people. Women are frequently ignorant of the specific factors contributing to their weight increase. This might make it more difficult to notice improvements, even if you’re exercising and eating well!
- Changes in a woman’s hormone levels can have an affect on her complexion, weight, and even hair density.
- It is possible that hormonal changes are caused by aging, birth control, or pregnancy in some cases.
- These hormonal fluctuations are rather common and will eventually restore their normal levels over time.
- Some women, on the other hand, experience long-term hormonal abnormalities.
- If that’s the case, reducing weight may be nearly hard to do.
- The lady should consider having a surgical procedure, such as liposuction or a stomach tuck, or taking prescription drugs to assist balance her hormones in these situations.
- Unfortunately, your genetics play a role in determining where certain body fats are deposited in your body.
- As a result, some people’s genetics will cause them to store fat around their waist, while others will store fat around their back and buttocks.
- In other words, if you’re wondering why your muffin top is more noticeable than the muffin tops of other individuals who weigh the same as you, it’s because your genetics prefer to store fat in this location.
Menopause is one of the most common causes of weight gain, hair loss, sadness, and anxiety among women of reproductive age. Unfortunately, this is something that we as women are powerless to prevent. Menopause also produces drastic hormonal changes, which, as previously discussed, can lead to an increase in body weight.
Stressors and Anxiety
Stress causes cortisol levels to rise, causing your body to go into survival mode and store as much fat as it can to keep you alive. You will maintain your current weight regardless of how hard you train out or how much you eat. Some women have a tendency to overeat in order to reduce stress, which can lead to the development of muffin tops.
Diet and Exercise
- This one appears to be a no-brainer, but we’ll include it nevertheless as a warning tale.
- Diet and exercise should still be a part of your daily routine, even if you feel you have a hormone imbalance or one of the other explanations listed above, to begin with.
- When it comes to exercising and eating right, you might be questioning why it is so necessary even if you do not notice any results because of these conditions.
- However, just because you do not notice visible benefits on the outside does not indicate that the combination is ineffective in the fight against undesirable fat.
- Diet and exercise, for example, have been shown to significantly lower stress.
- As a result, by lowering stress, you would also be able to lose weight.
- Diet and exercise can also aid in the treatment of hormonal imbalances caused by menopause or other conditions that may be contributing to your weight inconsistency.
Muffin Top Solutions
There are a plethora of options for dealing with muffin tops. Tummy tucks and other fat reduction operations are often the most successful and provide the most immediate effects. However, even after your wound has healed completely, it is still essential that you maintain a rigorous diet and exercise regimen in order to keep the excess fat at bay.
Liposuction to Remove a Muffin Top
- Even though liposuction might provide you with immediate benefits, you’re undoubtedly wondering what exactly this surgery includes.
- For begin, sedation is delivered with great caution.
- A tiny incision will be made near your stomach as a result of this procedure.
- Local anesthetic will be administered to this incision to alleviate any bleeding and bruising that may occur.
- When the region is ready, a small tube containing a surgical vacuum will be precisely inserted into the incision with precision.
- Light thrusting motions will be used by the surgeon to dislodge the fat, after which the fat will be suctioned out of your body.
- Having carefully removed the right quantity of body fat, the surgeon may stitch the incision and wrap it to complete the procedure.
- Liposuction is a relatively straightforward and non-invasive fat removal surgery when compared to other fat reduction procedures.
- The majority of patients recover within 3 to 6 weeks of their procedure.
- One or more of the following adverse effects may occur following the procedure: bruising, swelling, pain, and discomfort When performed poorly, liposuction can result in body shock syndrome, serious body infections, and even death if the procedure is not done properly.
- If you’re considering cosmetic surgery, it’s critical that you select the best plastic surgeons possible.
Tummy Tuck to Remove Muffin Top
- A stomach tuck, like liposuction, is performed under anesthesia for the patient’s comfort and safety.
- It is necessary to make a horizontal incision between your pubic area and your belly button once the appropriate amount has been supplied.
- To reach the fat, an incision will be created that is either longer or shorter depending on the amount of extra skin present.
- Once the incision has been done, the extra skin is removed and the abdominal muscles are given a chance to recover their strength.
- Women frequently experience difficulty losing weight as a result of a split in the abdominal wall!
- Using sutures, the remaining skin is brought back to its normal place after the extra skin has been removed and the abdominal wall has been repaired.
- The stomach appears flat and tightened as a result of this effect.
- In addition to bruising, swelling, pain, and discomfort, a belly tuck might cause.
- Infections, tears, and death are all possible adverse effects of this medication.
- The success rate for this procedure, on the other hand, is quite high.
- The best method to avoid issues is to adhere to the aftercare recommendations provided by your surgeon!
- After 4 to 7 weeks, the majority of women are totally cured.
Diet Pills and Teas for Muffin Tops
- Weight reduction gummy bears, drinks, and tablets are among the most popular topics for Instagram influencers to post about.
- The truth about these gimmicky products, on the other hand, is that some of them are really harmful and do not deliver long-lasting effects.
- Some people notice transient benefits, but they are caused by laxative-based treatments rather than by a fat-burning strategy, which is not recommended.
- To put it another way, your body is swiftly ridding itself of pollutants.
- With this strategy, you’re also removing other essential nutrients from your body at a rapid pace, which is an issue.
- The best course of action when considering over-the-counter weight reduction drugs is to conduct extensive study.
- If you’re considering of going this way, consult with a specialist and learn about the components in the product first before proceeding.
Best Diet for Muffin Top and Weight Loss
- Even if you intend on pursuing one of the choices listed above, maintaining a healthy diet will help you get longer-lasting effects.
- The outcomes of liposuction and stomach tucks are seen almost immediately.
- These methods, on the other hand, do not eliminate every single fat cell.
- Aside from that, by ingesting a large number of calories every day, your stomach becomes a prime target for fat cell growth.
- Overall, this may be readily avoided by burning a larger number of calories than you consume in a given day!
- For example, if you consume 3,000 calories per day, aim to burn as many as possible by engaging in physical activity!
Perfect Exercise Routine for Muffin Tops
- High-intensity aerobic exercise mixed with core-strengthening activities will help you lose some of the unsightly fat around your middle.
- Try to get in thirty minutes to an hour of exercise four times a week, if at all feasible!
- Start by stretching your whole body to make your muscles ready and prevent any tears from occurring.
- If you want to use a treadmill, begin by running at a moderate pace and gradually adding in 30 seconds of intensive cardio.
- You should do some core strengthening exercises once you get your body warmed up a little bit more.
- Side bends, pushups, rising planks, and mountain climbers are all excellent core-strengthening workouts.
Results Are Possible and Highly Achievable
Muffin tops don’t have to be an issue anymore! There are a plethora of options available for getting rid of that pesky fat. So say goodbye to your long tee-shirt and hello to that enticing bikini you’ve been admiring all summer long. Do not forget to call us immediately to set up an appointment for a consultation!
What Is a Muffin Top?
Marcy Montgomery Jones contributed to this article.Miraclesuit® Bodycon Dresses Women’s waistline panties and shapewear garments can cause an ugly belly bulge, which is affectionately referred to as a ″muffin top.″ The following post is dedicated to those of us who are blessed with an abundance of muffins.Show Me the Muffin, I’m hungry!This photograph vividly illustrates how waistline clothing influence bodies of varying sizes in strikingly different ways.The woman on the right has a muffin top, whilst the one on the left has never ever touched a muffin before today.But what is the source of a muffin top?
- ″The business of shapewear is the business of managing stretch,″ says a wise guy I know who has spent his whole life in the foundation industry, and he has told me on several occasions.
- ″You restrict stretch in some locations, and you enhance stretch in others to allow for adaptability,″ says the author.
- In this restriction-and-release connection, achieving the correct yin and yang balance differentiates well-fitting, high-performing shapewear from the rest of the competition.
- However, it is just this interaction that is the source of our problem, even while using the greatest quality shapewear on the market.
- By employing numerous panels and stitching on the front of the waistline garment on the right, it is possible to control stretch in the belly.
- It’s allowing some of the tension to be released in the back of the garment, where there is only one ply of material.
- At the same time, the wearer’s excess flesh is gravitating toward the areas of least resistance, causing – alas – her cup to spill over the brim of her gown.
- As a result, you’ll have a muffin top.
- When it comes to muffin tops, it’s a frequent fallacy that they exclusively appear in obese people.
- However, a muffin top may emerge on a woman who is within the ″healthy″ BMI range as well.
- It is true that being overweight considerably enhances your chances of experiencing this phenomena.
- A lack of firmness in the body can also contribute to the appearance of a muffin top in certain people.
Having less suppleness in your skin as a result of aging, childbearing, weight loss, or menopause makes you more vulnerable to spilling.Not to mention the significance of one’s physical body type.Depending on your body type, there are pros and downsides to wearing different types of intimate clothing.It is almost inescapable for those of us who have bodies that are best described as oranges walking on toothpicks to develop a muffin top of some form when wearing shapewear.
After all, our mini-skirts make us appear wonderful, don’t you think?So, what are some decent strategies for hiding that muffin top while you’re wearing form-fitting clothing?To begin, seek for a clothing with an adjustable rise or a high waist that is not too tight.It is intended to be worn roughly 1″ to 3″ above your natural muffin, er, waistline, as shown in the image on the right.By avoiding the center danger zone, the garment is able to rest on one of the leanest sections of your torso, giving you a more sleek appearance overall.
It is the use of a breathable silicone edge around the top of the style that allows it to perform so well.This edge prevents the style from slipping or rolling down.A high-waist garment, on the other hand, encircles your belly, waist, and stomach, leaving you with a firm and toned midriff.
Second, while shopping for shapewear, seek for alternatives that will completely contour your figure.Bodybriefers, thigh-slimmer bodybriefers, and complete slips are some of the options available.This type of clothing compresses the entire body rather than concentrating stress and strain on the waistline.Finally, consider wearing a waistline garment with a shaping camisole to create a more defined silhouette.It is preferable for me to tuck my camisoles into my waistband briefs since this location confuses the muffin and keeps it in control, preventing spilling.
Your muffin top will be deflated in no time if you have a little information and make some wise strategic decisions….What methods do you use to get rid of muffin tops?CC Image credit of celebdu on Flickr/CC BY 2.0 License Image courtesy of yomi955 on Flickr, used with permission.
CC BY 2.0 (Creative Commons)
How to Dress if You Have a Muffin Top
Having a muffin top is pretty frequent if you are plus size or a bit overweight, but even someone who is normally skinny like me, such as myself, can occasionally develop a muffin top at times.If you have an apple body type, like I do, you may see the earliest signs of weight gain around your waist and belly, referred to as the ″muffin top″ or ″muffin top.″ Our greatest qualities, such as a big breast, should be highlighted in our apparel to divert attention away from our stomach, which is the most important part of dressing our body type.
Wear High Rise Pants
Because I have discovered that high rise trousers are the most attractive and comfortable option for women with muffin tops, they are my go-to style.Despite the fact that there has been some discussion on the internet about the likelihood of low rise jeans becoming a fad again, anything with a low rise is best avoided if you are concerned about your muffin top.As a general rule, the difficulty with low rise trousers is where they rest on the body…which is generally exactly below the muffin top, so emphasizing that particular region.Because of this, high rise pants are the most appropriate.Because the material sits beautifully on the muffin top in the higher rise fits, the smoothing effect on the muffin top is more pronounced in these fits.Higher rise pants also draw attention to the smaller area of your waist, which has the added benefit of creating a slimming look around the core.
- This is clearly a win/win situation when it comes to mid-to-high rise trousers.
Wear Wrap Dresses
The wrap design is one of the most universally attractive styles available today.This shape is commonly found in dresses and shirts, owing to the fact that it is quite flattering on the body.As a bonus, it’s also incredibly flattering for those with a muffin top.Closure and definition are provided by wrap dresses, and the gathering that happens with the wrap style provides a camouflage effect to the stomach that is ideal for those with muffin tops.I have a collection of more than 20 DVF silk wrap dresses in this design (here’s a similar type), and they are quite flattering if you want to make your stomach appear more thin like me, as they are for most people.You don’t have to be concerned about wrap silhouettes going out of style anytime soon because they are ageless.
- Remember to choose wrap styles with a V or open neckline to avoid seeming sloppy!
- The extra figure flattery effect that comes from lifting the gaze upwards, as previously described, will be enhanced as a result of this action.
Wear High Rise Jeans
By now, you’ve undoubtedly realized that anything with a high waist is your best chance for concealing your belly!Any high waisted jeans (such as the Mom jeans or paper bag jeans) may provide the maximum covering for your belly, which is unquestionably the most comfortable option for ladies who carry a lot of weight in their midsection….Aside from that, high-rise jeans may also provide the impression of having a more thin waistline.That is every girl’s dream come true if she has a small stomach!
Wear Open Necklines
When it comes to clothing your body, finding little, subtle methods to divert attention away from the middle and towards another area of the body is a vital approach to use to your advantage.When you have a muffin top, drawing the attention upwards away from the muffin top and more towards the bust, neck, and facial area is a terrific style hack.This assists in bringing the body into better balance – while also drawing attention away from the midsection.There are a variety of techniques you may use to draw attention to your physique.Opting for open necklines, for example, is a straightforward way to achieve this look.Another trick is to wear a statement necklace or earrings with your outfit – this will automatically draw the viewer’s attention upwards.
Wear Wrap Tops
Even though wrap dresses are the most frequent, you can also get wrap tops, which I have found to be quite flattering on ladies who have a problem with their midsections, such as myself. These wrap shirts, like the wrap dresses, may enhance your feminine curves while also concealing a muffin top to an excellent degree.
Wear Asymmetric Tops
A tiny style trick that many people are unaware of, but which may be really effective if you have a muffin top, is as follows: An asymmetric top, believe it or not, attracts the attention away from the muffin top portion of the body.As a result of the diagonal line of this style top, it elongates the upper half of the body and effectively conceals the stomach.It’s critical, though, to ensure that your asymmetric top is not OVERLONG, especially if you’re a smaller frame.Asymmetrical shirts are designed to be a bit longer in length than a standard shirt, but they should not be longer than your hips in circumference.The danger of wearing shirts that are overly long (below the hip area) is that they will shorten your legs and make your torso look much longer than it truly is.
Wear Quality Shapewear
Shapewear is a popular topic of discussion among many women.When it comes to shapewear, there really isn’t a right or wrong answer; it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable wearing.If you don’t like the way shapewear makes you feel, don’t wear it.If it is able to make you feel more comfortable in your clothing, it can be a very useful tool to have at your disposal.If you have a muffin top, shapewear might be very beneficial as its primary function is to smooth the body’s contours.The good news is that There are a plethora of shapewear designs and variations available nowadays, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs and your body type well.
- Many women with a muffin top find that wearing shapewear or garments with built-in shapewear can make a significant difference in their appearance.
- You can frequently find camisoles and dresses (for example) that have shapewear advantages built in – this may be a fantastic way to get your feet wet in the shapewear world and see whether it’s something you want to do more of in your wardrobe.
Avoid Clingy Tops
A well-known fact is that clingy textiles and clothes adhere to the body in an uncomfortable way.Therefore, it is advised to stay away from tight-fitting shirts and dresses that are particularly clinging right around the waist and muffin top area of the body.The greater the amount of cling that happens, the more the attention placed on the part of the body in question.Choosing clothing that fits and/or flows around the middle is a fantastic method to compliment your figure rather than drawing attention to a region you don’t want to bring attention to.It is critical that these items are not TOO loose and airy, since this might actually cause the stomach to gain weight.The optimal balance between clinging and loose is achieved by a combination of the two.
- Another option for finding attractive shirts is to look for items that have a little bit of structure to them.
- The use of structural materials and/or silhouettes might help to produce this look.
- Structured pieces allow you the option to glide over your midsection rather than clinging to it, which is a terrific answer for wearing a muffin top without feeling like you have to conceal it.
Avoid Cropped Tops
Longer length shirts are just as appealing as higher rise jeans when it comes to balancing out the figure.When it comes to dressing for a muffin top, clothes that cover that portion of the body are the most flattering for your figure and form.In the current fashion climate, crop tops appear to be everywhere, and if that is what you choose to wear, you may surely continue to do so.It is possible that crop tops, or even shorter length tops (that fall directly at the waist) can cause problems since they will draw attention to the midsection and muffin top.If that’s not something you’re interested in doing, longer-length shirts are a more suitable option.While you’ll want to choose shirts that are a little longer in length, it’s critical that they aren’t TOO long.
- The length that is most flattering is right about the hips and/or slightly above them.
- Keep in mind that this is the length where you will reduce the look of a muffin top without shortening your legs and torso; this is especially important if you are small.
Wear Structured Layer
Add a structural layering item over the top of a muffin top and you’ll be able to hide it in seconds.This is another another really basic style approach to experiment with.Structural layers not only provide the wonderful’skimming’ appearance that structured tops provide, but they also allow you to add structure to components that may not otherwise have it by nature.The advantage of stacking items is that they provide a tiered impression, which is quite appealing for those with muffin tops and other imperfections.
Wear Darker Colors on Top
Everyone is acquainted with the age-old fashion method of wearing darker colors (most typically black) to appear thinner, which has been around for quite some time.This is a tried-and-true style tip that may be used to hide a muffin top in many situations.If you want to make your tummy appear smaller, wearing darker hues on that portion of your body is essential.However, this does not imply that you must dress in all black from head to toe.Wear as much color as you like on the lower part of your body!Using dark colors on the upper half of your body will give the appearance of a slimmer, more balanced figure, which will allow you to have fun and express your individual style on the bottom half of your body.
Avoid Pants That Fit TOO Tight
Finding trousers that are the correct fit, as well as clothing in general, may be a challenging task.The pants (or any bottoms for that matter) should not be too tight around the waist while dressing a muffin top.When bottoms are excessively tight around the waist, the muffin top region can appear even more noticeable – and in some cases, much larger – as a result of the increased visibility.When wearing pants, the waistband should be comfortable, but not so tight that it is pressing on the waist.If you’re having trouble finding trousers that don’t constrict your waist too tightly, look for styles with a wider waistband instead.The wider waistband can sometimes assist to smooth out that area of the body, making it feel less squeezed and tight.
6 Causes of a Muffin Top and How to Correct Them
Muffin top is a joking word that refers to extra fat around the waistline and upper belly that is used to characterize the condition.When you bake a muffin, the top of the muffin extends up and over the beltline, just like a muffin does when it is baked in its paper wrapper.Most people don’t enjoy this.Muffin tops are not only unsightly, but they are also harmful to one’s health.If you can squeeze more than an inch of fat around your waist, you’re at a higher risk of developing pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.In order to minimize your chance of developing these prevalent, life-shortening health concerns, it’s critical to identify and address what’s generating the unpleasant roll of waist fat.
- Let’s take a look at six reasons why you could be gaining weight around your waist.
While it is possible to develop a muffin top at any age, the condition becomes more prevalent throughout middle age and later in life.Women’s waist circumference is associated with a hormonal change that occurs around the time of menopause.When a woman goes through menopause, her estrogen levels decline, causing changes in where she stores fat.Body fat transfers from your hips and thighs to your waist and belly, rather than remaining in those areas.As estrogen levels decline, the stress hormone cortisol rises, which contributes to the accumulation of fat around the waist.As we grow older, not everyone develops a muffin top.
- The persons who don’t have this problem are the ones who are most physically active and committed to living a healthy life.
Another factor that leads to the development of age-related muffin tops is a loss in insulin sensitivity with age.One of the symptoms of deteriorating insulin sensitivity is an increase in the circumference of the waist and the accumulation of deep stomach fat.You may notice a slow and progressive increase in your serum triglyceride level, as well as a decrease in HDL, or good cholesterol, as well as an increase in your blood pressure if you have insulin resistance.The presence of these characteristics, as well as a rise in waist circumference, are indicators of metabolic syndrome, which is another term for pre-diabetes.You can acquire insulin resistance at any age, although aging is a risk factor for developing insulin resistance.Women who suffer from a disorder known as polycystic ovarian syndrome, on the other hand, are young and have insulin resistance.
- They also tend to gain weight around their waist and upper torso, a condition known as ″muffin top.″ As a result, while age is a risk factor, it is possible to develop it at any age.
- The greater the amount of body fat you have on your physique, the greater the risk.
As a result of being under stress, your adrenal glands secrete a variety of hormones, including one known as cortisol, which has been termed the ″stress hormone.″ Cortisol is a stress hormone that prepares your body to fight or flee in order to enable you react swiftly when faced with a stressful situation.Although cortisol causes glycogen to be broken down and your liver to create more glucose, allowing you to have a readily available source of fuel, it also causes the accumulation of waist and belly fat.Short-term stress will not result in a muffin top, but if it continues for an extended period of time, it may cause your waist size to fluctuate.Aside from that, elevated cortisol levels lead to a desire for calorie-dense meals that are heavy in fat and sugar.Fat deposits in the pelvic cavity, as well as surrounding organs such as the liver, are a result of an excess of calories consumed.In reality, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), a sickness characterized by an accumulation of fat around the liver, is becoming increasingly prevalent in western countries.
- In this case, a muffin top indicates that you may also have extra fat in the area surrounding your liver.
- It is possible for fatty liver disease to proceed to inflammation, and in rare cases, cirrhosis.
- As a result, it’s critical to determine whether you have it and to take steps to reduce your chance of contracting it.
Lack of Sleep
Cortisol levels might rise if you don’t get enough sleep over a period of days or weeks.Cortisol, on the other hand, induces a rise in belly and waist fat.This isn’t unexpected, considering that not getting enough sleep is a stressor on your body’s systems.A lack of sleep, in the same way that prolonged mental and physical stress do, leads your adrenal glands to create more cortisol, causing your blood pressure to rise.In addition, sleeplessness has been shown to boost cortisol levels.The quality of your sleep is equally important!
Eating the Wrong Foods
Eating a diet high in ultra-processed foods can also increase your waistline and cause you to develop a muffin top.Sugar, and particularly sugar-sweetened beverages, are also a factor in this.Even fruit juice, no matter how nutritious it appears, has been shown to increase waist and stomach fat because it lacks the fiber that needed to keep blood sugar levels stable.Maintain a focus on whole fruit, non-starchy vegetables, high-quality protein sources, and healthy fats, while avoiding starchy and processed foods that are devoid of nutritional value.The Mediterranean diet, which has been associated to a decreased risk of a range of common health concerns, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and stroke, is an excellent model to model your own diet after.
Lack of Exercise
Muffin tops are more prevalent in those who are sedentary, which is not unexpected.Exercise can help you lose weight and get rid of a muffin top, but only if you do it correctly.It’s possible that doing hours of cardio each week will have the reverse impact of what you’re hoping for.You may believe that the calories you burn will help you lose weight, but excessive exercise may stress your body to the point that your cortisol level rises, making it even more difficult to lose weight.Strength training can take the place of certain cardio.Increase the number of brief, high-intensity interval training segments you do in favor of longer sessions of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise (MIAC).
- With intensive activity, you’ll have some cortisol release, but you’ll also experience a surge in growth hormone and testosterone, which will help to balance out the cortisol release.
- Reduce your sitting time as well.
- When you sit for lengthy periods of time, you increase your chance of developing type 2 diabetes and your triglyceride levels go up.
- Small amounts of modest movement, even for brief periods of time, can assist to break up the sitting cycle and keep your body from entering hibernation mode.
A muffin top may be a symptom of a more serious health concern.The metabolic syndrome and polycystic ovary syndrome have already been described.Furthermore, it might be a symptom of an underactive thyroid or of a disorder known as Cushing’s syndrome.Some drugs, notably corticosteroids, have been linked to the development of a muffin top.A physical checkup and blood tests should be performed if you observe your waistline growing.Determine whether or not your expanding waistline is due to a medical condition.
The Bottom Line
You should now be aware of the six reasons why people acquire a muffin top. On the bright side, adopting a healthier lifestyle that addresses these difficulties can assist you in losing that excess pouch around your waist. If you have a muffin top that makes it difficult to wear your favorite tank tops, consider changing your way of life!
Researchers at Yale University have shown that stress may develop extra belly fat in normally slim women. ″Sleep Is Linked to Increases in Abdominal Fat,″ according to the National Sleep Foundation. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 2(2), 279–291, published online June 2007. It is possible to obtain further information at: 10.1016/j.jsmc.2007.04.002.
Related Articles By Cathe:
Is It Possible to Prevent the dreaded Muffin Top Through Strength Training?Why it is so difficult to lose belly fat and why it is so difficult to lose belly fat You may be gaining weight after menopause for a variety of reasons.When it comes to menopausal belly fat, here are four tips to help you get rid of it.It Is Significantly More Important Than You Think For Pear-Shaped Individuals: Why Butt and Thigh Fat May Not Be as Protective as Previously Believed
How to Bake Muffins Tops and a Basic Muffin Recipe
I’m going to reveal the techniques of baking muffins with bakery-style muffin tops, as well as a simple muffin recipe that everyone can make.Make a note of this recipe because you will be making it again and again.I’ve always felt like a lady on a mission.A mission for muffin tops…on real muffins, to be precise.Despite five fruitless efforts, I’ve finally figured out how to make home-baked muffins with muffin tops!
- Like the muffins you see in bakeries, these muffins feature crunchy sugar-coated domed tops.
- I started with a recipe that I found online, but it turned out to be a complete disaster.
- The end effect was a batch of flat, depressing muffins, rather than a lovely baked item that you are eager to devour.
- I sat down and started doing some research.
- As it turned out, my baking powder, baking soda, and flour were insufficient in the recipe I was attempting to make.
- Another significant concern was the fact that the oven must be heated to a higher temperature – 425 degrees – when the muffins are initially placed in it.
- It is extremely vital to completely fill the muffin cups in the muffin tray with batter.
- All the way to the top.
- Although this recipe only yields 9 muffins, they are large and beautiful muffins.
- You must load the batter all the way to the top in order to get those muffin toppers!
- I guarantee that it will not turn into a dripping mess that burns at the bottom of your oven.
- Simply follow the steps in this recipe to the letter.
Baked with a little vanilla flavoring, my basic muffin recipe produces moist, cakey muffins.They aren’t extremely sweet, which was done on purpose because you will most likely be adding some fruit to them.I’m sure you’ve noticed that I frequently urge you to make modifications to recipes in order to make them your own.When you’re in the kitchen, that’s acceptable.
However, this is baking.Baking is a scientific endeavor.Get those measuring cups out of the cupboard and start following the directions.When it comes to the fruit, nuts, and other mix-ins that you use in your muffins, you may be as creative as you want.Approximately 1 1/2 cups of berries should be added, with an additional 1/2 cup of nuts or other mix-ins at your discretion.
As well as revealing the techniques of creating bakery-style muffin tops, I am also giving a basic muffin recipe that is simple and quick to prepare.Please save this recipe as a favorite because you will be making it over and over.I’ve always considered myself a lady on a mission of some sort.a mission for muffin topping…on actual muffins, of course I finally figured out how to make muffins with muffin tops at home after five unsuccessful efforts!Like the muffins you find in bakeries, these muffins feature crunchy sugar covered domed tops.
- A recipe I discovered online served as a starting point, but it was dreadful.
- Not a gorgeous baked delicacy that you are delighted to consume, but instead a batch of flat, depressing muffins.
- I took a seat and began researching.
- As it turned out, my baking powder, baking soda, and flour were insufficient in the recipe I was attempting to bake.
- One other big difficulty was that the oven needed to be much hotter when baking the muffins, at 425 degrees, to begin with, which was a problem.
- It is critical that the muffin tin cups are completely filled before proceeding.
- Almost to the top of the food chain Despite the fact that this recipe only yields nine muffins, they are enormously delicious.
- To get those muffin tops, you must completely fill the muffin pan with batter.
- I assure you that it will not turn into a dripping mess that burns at the bottom of your oven.
- Only one thing has to be done: strictly adhere to the recipe.
- My basic muffin recipe yields moist, cakey muffins with a slight vanilla flavoring that are perfect for breakfast.
- These muffins aren’t extremely sweet, which was done on purpose because you’ll most likely be adding fruit to them later.
I’m sure you’ve noticed that I frequently urge you to make modifications to recipes in order to personalize them.When you’re cooking, this is perfectly OK.But it’s already in the oven!It is a scientific process to bake something.
Make use of the measuring cups and make sure to follow all of the guidelines.When it comes to the fruit, nuts, and other mix-ins that you use in your muffins, you have a lot of room to get creative!Approximately 1 1/2 cups of berries should be added, with the option of using 1/2 cup of nuts or other mix-ins as an additional option.
Tips for evaluating other muffin recipes
Using my basic muffin recipe is entirely optional, and that is perfectly OK.Take a look at the following bits of advice to assist you achieve muffin top success.I discovered that the ideal baking powder and baking soda ratio for 1 1/4 cups of flour is 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.Baking your muffins in the top third of the oven at 425 degrees will ensure that they come out perfectly.Turn on the oven light and keep an eye on the muffins as they rise and brown.Once you have gorgeous muffin tops, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- to finish the baking process (or whatever your recipe specifies).
How to Bake Muffins with Muffin Tops and a Basic Muffin Recipe
- Make great bakery-style muffins at home with this simple muffin recipe, which will teach you how. Time required for preparation: 20 minutes Preparation time: 17 minutes Time allotted: 37 minutes 1 cup softened butter
- 3 teaspoons
- 1/3 cup softened Cream Cheese (with 1/3 reduced fat)
- 1 cup plus 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Optional: 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1/4 teaspoon Salt, 1/4 cup Buttermilk, 1 tablespoon flour for tossing the berries, 1 1/2 cups Berries Half-cup of toasted nuts or white chocolate chips
- In addition, for the topping, 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit 9 muffin liners should be placed in a muffin tray. Then, using an electric mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese until well combined. As soon as the ingredients are fully combined, add the granulated sugar and continue to beat on a medium high speed until the mixture is fluffy. This should take no more than 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, and vanilla until barely incorporated with the butter, cream cheese, and sugar combination.
- In a separate dish, whisk together 1 cup and 3 tablespoons flour, as well as the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- The electric mixer’s bowl should be removed
- you’ll want to fold everything combined by hand after that. Fold the flour mixture and buttermilk into the contents in the mixing basin from the mixer until everything is well combined. Stir in a third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk, another third of the flour mixture, the remaining buttermilk, and then the remaining flour mixture until everything is combined. Fold the ingredients together until they are just combined – do not overmix. Allow for 15 minutes of resting time before mixing.
- While the batter is resting, combine the berries and other ingredients in a large mixing dish. Using a tablespoon of flour, lightly dust the berries and gently mix them in, covering them in flour. This keeps the berries from sinking to the bottom of the container.
- After the batter has been allowed to rest, fold in the berries and other ingredients.
- Fill the muffin liners all the way to the top with the batter and bake for 20 minutes. Then, using the melted butter and raw sugar, decorate the top.
- Turn on the oven’s light and put the muffins in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. In order for the muffins to rise and brown on top, they will need to be baked for 10-12 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit at this stage (but do not open the oven door). Allow for another 5-7 minutes of baking.
- The muffins should be taken out of the oven and allowed to cool for 2 minutes before being placed on a cloth to continue cooling. In this way, you may prevent the muffin tops from sinking as they cool.
Would you want to store these baking suggestions for later? Here’s an image for you to save to your Pinterest board: This recipe was used as inspiration, however it didn’t work out very well in the end. Both What Sarah Bakes and The Kitchen Whisperer were excellent tools for learning how to make muffins that looked like they came from a bakery.
What are the characteristics of muffins?
- What traits distinguish muffins from other baked goods?
- What are the two qualities of a muffin that has been excessively mixed?
- Is a muffin considered a sort of cake?
- What methods do you use to assure the quality of your muffins?
- Are there any significant differences between muffins and cupcakes?
- What is the source of muffin tops?
- Is there a difference between love handles and muffin tops?
- What does the term ″muffin head″ mean?
- What is the origin of the term ″muffin″?
- What does the term ″stud muffin″ mean?
What are the characteristics of muffins?
- Muffulettas have several distinctive characteristics, including moist crumb, chewy texture, and an uneven crumb grain with holes or tunnels throughout.
- Tops with a rounded (bell-shaped) or flat shape
What are the two characteristics of an over mixed muffin?
Muffins that have been overmixed will have peaked, smooth-textured tops and lengthy, tunnel-shaped air pockets in the inside, as well as being difficult to handle. It is also necessary to spoon the mixture into the muffin cups carefully, without stirring, in order to avoid reducing the leavening effect of the baking powder throughout the baking process.
Is a muffin a type of cake?
Cakes and muffins are both baked foods that are consumed after being baked. There is a distinction between cakes and muffins in that the former is a type of bread and the latter, which is considerably sweeter, is not. Cakes are frequently topped with icing, but muffins are rarely topped with frosting.
How do you ensure quality of muffins?
Tips for Baking the Perfect Muffins (with Pictures)
- Make Use of the Finest Ingredients. Try not to scrimp on the ingredients you use in order to achieve the best results..
- Use components that are at room temperature..
- Separately mix the dry and wet ingredients..
- Make sure you don’t over-blend.
- Scoop it in.
- Selecting the Proper Pan/Mold.
- Please remember to preheat the oven and bake at the proper temperature.
- Please do not leave them in their pan.
- Please do not leave them in their pan.
- Please do not leave them in their pan.
Is there a difference between muffins and cupcakes?
Cupcakes have a softer texture than muffins, which are firmer. They have a firmer texture and feel more like you are chewing into a loaf of bread with contents such as nuts or fruits. Overall, muffins are intended to be savory dishes, as opposed to the sweet flavor and softer texture of cupcakes, which are intended to be sweet.
What are muffin tops from?
An individual’s body fat that extends horizontally over the margins of the waistband of tightly fitting pants or skirts is referred to as a muffin top (also muffin-top) in slang. When there is a gap between the upper and lower clothing, this fat is visible as a muffin top.
Are love handles and muffin tops the same?
You may grip at your love handles, which are little pockets of fat that are located right over your hip bones, on each side of your body. The ″muffin top″ refers to the fat that is located somewhat farther back around the flanks. Stomach fat, also known as visceral fat, is the most harmful form of fat to accumulate since it has the potential to cause cardiovascular disease.
What does muffin head mean?
Noun. a dialect of British English. A fool, a complete moron.
Why do they call it a muffin?
The name muffin is supposed to have originated from the Low German word muffen, which literally translates as ″small cakes.″ Muffin recipes can be found in British cookbooks as early as 1758, according to the British Library. A recipe for muffins may be found in Hannah Glasse’s book, The Art of Cookery. The muffins are characterized as having an inside that is ″like a Honey-comb.″
What does stud muffin mean?
A young man with a strong sexual attraction
Pot bellies, muffin tops, and love handles – what are you talking about? Posted byon Oct 18, 2012 in English Language
When it comes to talking about the human body in English, we have some really strange ways of referring to it, especially when it comes to talking about excess fat on the body.The following are three slang phrases that are often used in English to describe the body that I would like to share with you.I’ll explain what these terms imply and where they came from in the section below.Please keep in mind that none of these terms are considered appropriate ways to refer to another person, but they are widely used in everyday discourse, so it is beneficial to be familiar with them.pot-bellied pig In this context, ″protruding* stomach″ refers to a person (typically a man) who has an abnormally huge stomach.Because of the resemblance between someone who has ″pot belly″ and an old-fashioned stove known as ″pot belly stove,″ this word was coined.
- top of the muffin Using this slang phrase, we may refer to a person (typically a female) who has excess fat or skin that hangs over the waistband of pants.
- ‘Muffin top’ is a term used to describe the similarity between someone who has it and the top of a muffin that has fallen over the paper cup in which the muffin is baked.
- a pair of love handles When referring to extra fat on the side or waist of a person’s (male or female) body, the phrase ″love handles″ is used.
- This is the least insulting of the three names offered here, and it is even used in a loving manner on occasion in some cases.
- The reason why this fat around a person’s waist is referred to as ‘love handles’ is that it is something on the person’s body that another person may grab onto (like a handle) in order to grab the person and pull them near to say, kiss them.
- After going over some common terminology used to describe fat on the body, I’d want to go over some words used to describe a fit physique in English, which you may use to describe yourself.
- The following phrases are used to describe someone who is in good condition or who has a lot of muscle.
- built jacked toned buff *protruding = extending out beyond the normal surface of the object Continue your English learning journey with us!
- Transparent Language Online allows you to expand your vocabulary, improve your pronunciation, and much more.
- Available at any time, from any location, on any device.
About the Author: Gabriele
Hello, there!I am a blogger for Transparent Language’s English as a Second Language (ESL) section.As a native English speaker from the United States of America, I am 32 years old and have lived there from birth and upbringing.I am currently based in Washington, DC, although I have lived all around the United States, as well as many years living and working in other countries.My first year of teaching English as a second language was in 2005, following the completion of a Master’s degree in Applied Linguists and a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA).Since then, I’ve been teaching English as a second language in the United States at the community college and university levels.
- I’ve also gone on to obtain my PhD in psychology, and I’m now a psychology professor who teaches classes in a variety of subjects.
- My favorite way to remain in touch with ESL learners all across the world is through the Transparent Languages ESL Blog.
- Please feel free to ask questions or post comments on the blog, and I will d