Eating an ultra-processed food diet can also add to your waistline and contribute to a muffin top. Sugar, especially sugar-sweetened drinks, are a contributor too. Even fruit juice, as healthy as it sounds, can increase waist and tummy fat since you’re missing the fiber that helps moderate blood sugar.
Choosing fast food meals, eating quickly and eating processed foods that digest too fast are the biggest factors in maintaining the muffin top, says Vernace-Inserra, a nutrition counsellor at Inner Health Nutrition Consulting.
Begin by kneeling with your abs tight and your back straight.
Why do muffins have a muffin top?
Cortisol, which can feed a muffin top when there’s too much of this stress hormone floating around. When cortisol levels are high, your appetite increases. (NOTE: Belly fat cells contain four times more cortisol receptors compared with other cells!)
What causes muffin top or beer belly?
A muffin top that won’t budge is frustrating, and it can also affect your health. Drinking a daily probiotic, like Passion Fruit Biotic, can curb sugar cravings that contribute to stubborn belly fat. What causes muffin top, beer belly, or belly fat? 1. Too Much Sugar and Too Little Sleep
How to get rid of Muffin Top?
Again, staying active is one of the best ways to get rid of your muffin top. When you combine exercising/cardio with a good healthy diet, you start getting in shape and that’s when muffin top starts to vanish. 4. Reduce Caloric Drinks & Lose Your Muffin Top
How do you get rid of a muffin top?
Best Tops to Hide a Muffin Top
- Don’t Wear Clingy Tops—Look for Structured Fabrics Instead.
- Do Wear Tops that Emphasize Your Bust.
- Do Layer With a Camisole.
- Do Try High-Waisted Jeans.
- Do Choose Jeans with Stretch in the Waist.
- Do Pair Low-Rise Jeans with Longer Tops.
- Do Try An Empire Waist Silhouette.
Does a muffin top ever go away?
“It is definitely possible to lose the muffin top,” Robles says. “However, it is not an overnight fix.” It isn’t possible to spot-reduce fat from specific problem areas. But as you lose overall body fat, you’ll see your midsection shrink.
Does walking help muffin top?
In addition to high intensity cardio and strength training, walking is also a great way to target belly fat. While it may not produce results as quickly or efficiently as more intense forms of exercise, walking more can make a huge difference in the size of your muffin top over time.
What foods help lose muffin top?
27 Best Foods to Lose Your Muffin Top
What causes Lovehandles?
The underlying cause of love handles is fat retention. Generally speaking, fat cells accumulate when your body takes in too many calories or you don’t burn as many calories as you’re consuming. Over time, these fat cells can become noticeable as they accumulate in certain areas, such as around your waist and hips.
Are muffin tops normal?
“Any woman can get a muffin top. But women are more likely to gain excess belly weight — especially deep inside the belly — as they go through perimenopause and into menopause when their menstrual cycle ends.
What is the difference between love handles and muffin top?
Love handles, the pinchable fat on both sides of your stomach that leads to a “muffin top” appearance, are especially stubborn. They do not respond as quickly to diet and exercise changes as the more dangerous visceral fat that is deep within your abdomen and leads to more of a “potbelly” appearance.
How long it takes to lose 2 inches off waist?
So if you lose 1lb (0.45kg) a week you could hope to reduce your waistline by an inch after four weeks. Dieticians advise that if you eat 500 calories less than your daily requirement you will lose about 1lb every seven days (expect some variation from person to person).
How can I reduce my waistline?
Reducing your waist circumference
- Keep a food journal where you track your calories.
- Drink more water.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes, three times a week. More if possible.
- Eat more protein and fiber.
- Reduce your added sugar intake.
- Get more sleep.
- Reduce your stress.
How do I get rid of my muffin top at 50?
Start with a mix of moderate and vigorous exercise to burn off menopausal weight gain. Your routine should include aerobic exercises like swimming, walking, bicycling, and running, as well as resistance or strength training. “What you want to employ now is high intensity interval training (HIIT),” Dr. Peeke says.
Do Carbs Cause muffin top?
In a dramatic shift of public opinion, the carbohydrate is credited for the production of both the blueberry muffin and the dreaded muffin top. Simple carbohydrates are found in foods like processed rice, pasta and bread, soda, juice and candy.
How do you lose the muffin top?
How to eliminate Muffin Top?
How to lose that muffin top?
6 Causes of a Muffin Top and How to Correct Them
- Muffin top is a joking word that refers to extra fat around the waistline and upper belly that is used to characterize the condition.
- When you bake a muffin, the top of the muffin extends up and over the beltline, just like a muffin does when it is baked in its paper wrapper.
- Most people don’t enjoy this.
- Muffin tops are not only unsightly, but they are also harmful to one’s health.
- If you can squeeze more than an inch of fat around your waist, you’re at a higher risk of developing pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
- In order to minimize your chance of developing these prevalent, life-shortening health concerns, it’s critical to identify and address what’s generating the unpleasant roll of waist fat.
- Let’s take a look at six reasons why you could be gaining weight around your waist.
- While it is possible to develop a muffin top at any age, the condition becomes more prevalent throughout middle age and later in life.
- Women’s waist circumference is associated with a hormonal change that occurs around the time of menopause.
- When a woman goes through menopause, her estrogen levels decline, causing changes in where she stores fat.
- Body fat transfers from your hips and thighs to your waist and belly, rather than remaining in those areas.
- As estrogen levels decline, the stress hormone cortisol rises, which contributes to the accumulation of fat around the waist.
- As we grow older, not everyone develops a muffin top.
- The persons who don’t have this problem are the ones who are most physically active and committed to living a healthy life.
- Another factor that leads to the development of age-related muffin tops is a loss in insulin sensitivity with age.
- One of the symptoms of deteriorating insulin sensitivity is an increase in the circumference of the waist and the accumulation of deep stomach fat.
- You may notice a slow and progressive increase in your serum triglyceride level, as well as a decrease in HDL, or good cholesterol, as well as an increase in your blood pressure if you have insulin resistance.
- The presence of these characteristics, as well as a rise in waist circumference, are indicators of metabolic syndrome, which is another term for pre-diabetes.
- You can acquire insulin resistance at any age, although aging is a risk factor for developing insulin resistance.
- Women who suffer from a disorder known as polycystic ovarian syndrome, on the other hand, are young and have insulin resistance.
- They also tend to gain weight around their waist and upper torso, a condition known as ″muffin top.″ As a result, while age is a risk factor, it is possible to develop it at any age.
- The greater the amount of body fat you have on your physique, the greater the risk.
- As a result of being under stress, your adrenal glands secrete a variety of hormones, including one known as cortisol, which has been termed the ″stress hormone.″ Cortisol is a stress hormone that prepares your body to fight or flee in order to enable you react swiftly when faced with a stressful situation.
- Although cortisol causes glycogen to be broken down and your liver to create more glucose, allowing you to have a readily available source of fuel, it also causes the accumulation of waist and belly fat.
- Short-term stress will not result in a muffin top, but if it continues for an extended period of time, it may cause your waist size to fluctuate.
- Aside from that, elevated cortisol levels lead to a desire for calorie-dense meals that are heavy in fat and sugar.
- Fat deposits in the pelvic cavity, as well as surrounding organs such as the liver, are a result of an excess of calories consumed.
- In reality, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), a sickness characterized by an accumulation of fat around the liver, is becoming increasingly prevalent in western countries.
- In this case, a muffin top indicates that you may also have extra fat in the area surrounding your liver.
- It is possible for fatty liver disease to proceed to inflammation, and in rare cases, cirrhosis.
- As a result, it’s critical to determine whether you have it and to take steps to reduce your chance of contracting it.
Lack of Sleep
- As a result of being under stress, your adrenal glands secrete a variety of hormones, including one known as cortisol, which is commonly referred to as the ″stress hormone.″ The stress hormone cortisol prepares your body to fight or flee, allowing you to react more swiftly when faced with a challenging situation.
- In addition to breaking down glycogen and telling your liver to create more glucose so you have a ready supply of fuel, cortisol contributes to the accumulation of belly and waist fat.
- Short-term stress will not result in a muffin top, but if it continues for an extended period of time, it may result in a shift in waist circumference.
- Extra cortisol also encourages you to seek high-calorie, sugary, and fatty meals, which increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Fat deposits in the pelvic cavity, as well as surrounding organs such as the liver, are a result of excess fat accumulation.
- The truth is that non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), a sickness characterized by an accumulation of fat around the liver, is becoming increasingly prevalent in western nations..
- It follows that you may also have extra fat in the area around your liver, as indicated by a muffin top.
- Fibrosis, an inflammation of the liver that leads to cirrhosis, can develop.
- Thus, it is critical to determine whether or not you have it and to take steps to reduce your chance of contracting the disease.
Eating the Wrong Foods
- Eating a diet high in ultra-processed foods can also increase your waistline and cause you to develop a muffin top.
- Sugar, and particularly sugar-sweetened beverages, are also a factor in this.
- Even fruit juice, no matter how nutritious it appears, has been shown to increase waist and stomach fat because it lacks the fiber that needed to keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Maintain a focus on whole fruit, non-starchy vegetables, high-quality protein sources, and healthy fats, while avoiding starchy and processed foods that are devoid of nutritional value.
- The Mediterranean diet, which has been associated to a decreased risk of a range of common health concerns, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and stroke, is an excellent model to model your own diet after.
Lack of Exercise
- Muffin tops are more prevalent in those who are sedentary, which is not unexpected.
- Exercise can help you lose weight and get rid of a muffin top, but only if you do it correctly.
- It’s possible that doing hours of cardio each week will have the reverse impact of what you’re hoping for.
- You may believe that the calories you burn will help you lose weight, but excessive exercise may stress your body to the point that your cortisol level rises, making it even more difficult to lose weight.
- Strength training can take the place of certain cardio.
- Increase the number of brief, high-intensity interval training segments you do in favor of longer sessions of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise (MIAC).
- With intensive activity, you’ll have some cortisol release, but you’ll also experience a surge in growth hormone and testosterone, which will help to balance out the cortisol release.
- Reduce your sitting time as well.
- When you sit for lengthy periods of time, you increase your chance of developing type 2 diabetes and your triglyceride levels go up.
- Small amounts of modest movement, even for brief periods of time, can assist to break up the sitting cycle and keep your body from entering hibernation mode.
- A muffin top may be a symptom of a more serious health concern.
- The metabolic syndrome and polycystic ovary syndrome have already been described.
- Furthermore, it might be a symptom of an underactive thyroid or of a disorder known as Cushing’s syndrome.
- Some drugs, notably corticosteroids, have been linked to the development of a muffin top.
- A physical checkup and blood tests should be performed if you observe your waistline growing.
- Determine whether or not your expanding waistline is due to a medical condition.
The Bottom Line
You should now be aware of the six reasons why people acquire a muffin top. On the bright side, adopting a healthier lifestyle that addresses these difficulties can assist you in losing that excess pouch around your waist. If you have a muffin top that makes it difficult to wear your favorite tank tops, consider changing your way of life!
Researchers at Yale University have shown that stress may develop extra belly fat in normally slim women. ″Sleep Is Linked to Increases in Abdominal Fat,″ according to the National Sleep Foundation. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 2(2), 279–291, published online June 2007. It is possible to obtain further information at: 10.1016/j.jsmc.2007.04.002.
Related Articles By Cathe:
- Is It Possible to Prevent the dreaded Muffin Top Through Strength Training?
- Why it is so difficult to lose belly fat and why it is so difficult to lose belly fat You may be gaining weight after menopause for a variety of reasons.
- When it comes to menopausal belly fat, here are four tips to help you get rid of it.
- It Is Significantly More Important Than You Think For Pear-Shaped Individuals: Why Butt and Thigh Fat May Not Be as Protective as Previously Believed
3 Muffin-Top Facts: Get Rid of Belly Fat for Good
- If you compress the skin of your arm between your fingers, the flesh between your fingers is subcutaneous fat, which is found beneath the surface of the skin.
- This fat beneath your skin is distinct from visceral fat in several ways.
- Many women who battle with abdominal obesity do so because they have little estrogen and excessive testosterone in their bodies.
- Visceral fat is responsible for the bulge on a muffin top.
- When you have a muffin top, it refers to the fatty areas of flesh around your waistline (such as love handles and belly fat) that hang over the tops of your skirts, trousers, and pants.
Get Rid of Belly Fat: 3 Causes of Muffin Top
- The absence of a muffin top does not necessarily indicate that one is in good health. Even if you are ″slim,″ you may still have persistent abdominal fat. Visceral fat is unique among fat tissues in that it wraps itself around organs in the abdominal cavity, unlike any other form of fat tissue in the body. Visceral fat is a kind of fat that stores the hormone estrogen. In addition, it has been shown to be pro-inflammatory, which means that it promotes to inflammation. (3) If you have a muffin top or a beer belly, you are suffering from metabolic stress, which is characterized by excessive visceral fat. It also informs you that your reproductive hormones are out of whack, as shown by the symptoms. A muffin top that refuses to budge is not only inconvenient, but it may also be harmful to your health. Drinking a probiotic on a regular basis, such as Passion Fruit Biotic, will help to reduce sugar cravings, which can help to reduce stubborn belly fat. Excessive visceral fat is associated with the following conditions: type 2 diabetes
- insulin resistance
- polycystic ovarian syndrome, or PCOS
- metabolic syndrome, which includes heart disease and high blood pressure
- non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, or NAFLD
- and obesity.
What causes muffin tops, beer bellies, and other forms of abdominal fat?
1. Too Much Sugar and Too Little Sleep
- The hormone insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels, gets thrown out of balance if you rely on coffee, sugar, or carbohydrates as your major fuel source, according to the American Diabetes Association.
- The cells in the body become insulin resistant when the machinery that regulates blood sugar is pushed out of sync on a regular basis.
- This indicates that your body is making insulin, but is unable to utilize it effectively.
- The fuel for cells is glucose, which is a kind of sugar.
- When cells develop a resistance to insulin (the hormone that transports sugar into cells), they are unable to obtain the sugar they require and, as a result, are unable to create the energy your body requires.
- Because the cells are unable to respond effectively to insulin, the body attempts to create more insulin in an attempt to provide the glucose that the cells require to function normally.
- Type 2 diabetes develops when the body is unable to maintain its ability to produce an excessive quantity of insulin over an extended period.
- I’m curious in what happens to the extra sugar.
- It is transported to the liver, where it is turned to fat.
- As a result, there is weight growth throughout the body.
- If you have a sugar sensitivity, consider using stevia or lakanto to fulfill your sweet taste instead of regular sugar.
- Stevia has a natural ability to reduce blood sugar levels.
- You could also think about include probiotic drinks in your diet.
- Having a few ounces of the sour flavor might help to keep sugar cravings under control.
2. Imbalanced Reproductive Hormones
- Insulin resistance and reproductive hormones have a mutually beneficial interaction.
- The greater your insulin resistance, the more probable it is that you will have abnormally high amounts of hormones that you do not want in your body.
- Insulin resistance and a muffin top are associated with an excess of testosterone in females.
- Many women who battle with abdominal obesity do so because they have little estrogen and excessive testosterone in their bodies.
- According to research, women who have more upper body fat (as opposed to lower body fat on the thighs and buttocks) have larger quantities of free testosterone floating about in their bodies.
- (3) When there is recurrent sugar excess, such as in polycystic ovarian syndrome, we detect these elevated amounts of free testosterone in the blood (PCOS).
- In addition, it occurs with the passage of time, such as after menopause.
3. A Congested Liver
- The liver is associated with both blood sugar imbalance and hormonal imbalance.
- For starters, the liver is responsible for the metabolization (or detoxification) of reproductive hormones.
- SHBG is also produced by the liver (sex hormone binding globulin).
- SHBG is a hormone binder that binds to estrogen and testosterone.
- SHBG is required in order to maintain stable levels of free (and active) hormones in the body.
- That being said, here’s the issue with SHBG: More insulin resistance means less SHBG in the body, and in the case of women, this means more unwanted testosterone in the body as a result of that insulin resistance.
- When the liver is overworked, exhausted, and congested, it is unable to perform its hormone metabolization functions properly.
- And when the liver is forced to store extra glucose as a result of insulin resistance, it (as well as your muffin top) becomes bloated and fatty.
- (6) This condition is referred to as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Researchers at the University Hospital Ulm in Germany discovered only last year that both men and women with a fatty, congested liver were more likely to have low levels of SHBG in their blood.
- The use of herbs such as milk thistle, wasabi, artichoke leaf, and sarsaparilla, which are present in LivAmend, is one of the most effective treatments for an overworked, exhausted, and congested liver.
- (7) There has been evidence that these herbs help to directly support the liver and alleviate some of the strain that we throw on it on a daily basis.
- We also recommend that you consume a lot of fermented cruciferous veggies.
- Complimentary to this are fermented vegetables such as cabbage, kale, broccoli, and cauliflower, which contain nutrients that promote liver function.
- Fermentation also enhances the digestion and absorption of these vegetables.
- If you’re new to fermented foods, this dish is a fantastic place to start!
What To Remember Most About This Article:
- Your muffin top that just won’t go away is caused by visceral fat, which is stored deep within the body.
- No matter how much weight you have, it is possible to have problems with stubborn belly fat that persists.
- Visceral fat is problematic since it is pro-inflammatory and may be a symptom of a more serious underlying health problem, such as hormonal imbalances in the reproductive system.
- It has been established that excess visceral fat is associated with insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, PCOS, the metabolic syndrome, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- When you have a muffin top that won’t budge, there are three basic reasons why:
- Too much sugar combined with little sleep Insulin levels will be thrown off if you consume caffeine plus sugar or carbs as fuel. Over the long run, this raises the chance of developing type 2 diabetes and places a strain on the liver. You may naturally limit your sweet tooth by drinking liquids made with stevia or lakanto, or by drinking sour probiotic beverages.
- Reproductive hormones that are out of whack. The presence of a persistent muffin top in women who have insulin resistance is associated with an overabundance of testosterone in the body, according to research. High free testosterone levels have been associated to sugar overload, which has been connected to illnesses such as PCOS and a congested liver. A liver that is overworked and clogged will not be able to adequately process hormones. When the liver is overburdened with glucose as a result of insulin resistance, it can become fatty, resulting in a condition known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). One of the most effective ways to assist a fatigued liver is to consume herbs that are present in LivAmend such as artichoke leaf, wasabi, milk thistle, and sarsaparilla.
- Mattsson, C., and Olsson, T. (in press) (2007). The role of estrogens and glucocorticoids in the metabolism of adipose tissue. Contemporary Medicinal Chemistry, 14(27), 2918-2924
- Lam, Y. Y., Mitchell, A. J., Holmes, A. J.
- Denyer, G. S.
- Gummesson, A.
- Caterson, I. D.
- et al. Current medicinal chemistry, 14(27), 2918-2924
- et al (2011). The gut has a role in the development of visceral fat inflammation and metabolic diseases. Obesity, 19(11), 2113-2120
- Kirschner, M. A., Samojlik, E., Drejka, M., Szmal, E., Schneider, G., and Ertel, N. Obesity, 19(11), 2113-2120
- Kirschner, M. A., Samojlik, E., Drejka, M., Szmal, E., Schneider, G., and Ertel, N (1990). Women with upper body obesity vs lower body obesity* have different androgen-estrogen metabolism. 473-479 in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Borruel, S., Fernandez-Durán, E., Alpaés, M., Mart, D., lvarez-Blasco, F., Luque Ramirez, M., and Escobar-Morreale, H. F., et al (2013). Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome have increased adiposity throughout their bodies, as well as increased thickness of intraperitoneal and mesenteric adipose tissue depots (PCOS). Cao, Y., Zhang, S., Zou, S., Xia, X., et al., The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 98(3), 1254-1263
- Cao, Y., Zhang, S., Zou, S., et al., The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 98(3), 1254-1263
- Cao, Y., Zhang (2013). The relationship between endogenous androgens and body fat distribution in early and late postmenopausal women was investigated in this study. Item, F., and Konrad, D. (2009). PloS one, 8(3), e58448 (2012). The portal theory of visceral fat and metabolic inflammation has been re-examined. 30–39
- Flechtner-Mors, M., Schick, A., Oeztuerk, S.
- Haenle, M. M.
- EMIL-Study Group
- EMIL-Study Group
- Obesity Reviews, 13(S2) (2013). This study looked at 1657 subjects and looked at the associations between fatty liver disease and other factors that affect serum SHBG concentrations. Hormone and Metabolic Research, (EFirst)
- Hormone and Metabolic Research, (EFirst)
What Is a ″Muffin Top″ and How Do I Get Rid of It?
- There’s a good chance you’ve heard someone moan about their ″muffin top″ at some point.
- Unfortunately, they aren’t referring to the perfectly-crusty top of a blueberry muffin or a pumpkin muffin here.
- Instead, it’s more probable that the ″muffin top″ in issue refers to a frequent problem region around the stomach, which includes what many people refer to as ″love handles.″ This article will explain what creates this persistent abdominal fat and what you can do to avoid it.
What Is a Muffin Top?
- It is common terminology to refer to an accumulation of fat around the stomach, just above the hips, as a ″muffin top.″ The additional fat may pour out over the waistband of tight-fitting jeans — ″exactly like a muffin above the paper cup,″ notes Robert Ziltzer, M.D., FACP, FAAP, obesity medicine physician and writer of ″Chasing Diets,″ who describes how this happens.
- According to Ziltzer, there are two forms of belly fat that might contribute to a muffin top: subcutaneous fat (the soft, pinchable fat immediately below the skin) and visceral fat (the fat that is stored deep inside the abdominal cavity) (a deeper layer of fat that surrounds the abdominal organs).
What Causes a Muffin Top?
A number of factors can increase the likelihood of developing a bulge in the belly, including:
- ″Muffin tops″ are manufactured in the same way as genuine muffins are produced in the kitchen.
- Making a habit of eating too many calories every day can lead to fat storage around the midsection, so make sure you are burning more calories than you are consuming, advises Brittany Noel Robles, M.D., M.P.H, CPT, an OBGYN and NASM-certified personal trainer.
- ″If you are eating too many calories every day, it can lead to fat storage around the midsection,″ she says.
According to Ziltzer, your genetics impact how and where you retain fat. While you have no control over your genes, exercise and a balanced diet can assist you in losing weight.
- Anxiety, anxiety, and despair can all contribute to the development of stomach rolls.
- According to Abby Nouis, an ACSM-certified personal trainer and facility director at QuickHIT Fitness in Madison, WI.
- ″Stress causes the production of cortisol in your body, which instructs your body to hang on to that fat, particularly around your waist,″ she explains.
- Stress can also lead to binge eating, which can contribute to weight gain in the long run.
Lack of exercise
If you aren’t burning off as many calories as you consume, those additional calories will almost certainly end up in your midsection. Whether you favor high-intensity interval training (HIIT), barre, dance, or boxing, make sure you’re getting your body moving every day.
Not enough sleep
- According to recent research, a shorter sleep duration is connected with a higher body mass index, a larger waist circumference, and more subcutaneous fat accumulation.
- The lack of sleep has an impact on your hunger, desires, and mood, according to Nouis, and it can also impair your drive to exercise, she adds.
- Relaxing with meditation or stretching before bed might assist you in getting a good night’s sleep.
Can I Lose My Muffin Top?
- Yes, but it will take time and effort on your part as well.
- The muffin top can be lost, according to Robles, who believes it is doable.
- ″However, it is not a solution that can be implemented immediately.″ It is not viable to target fat reduction in specific problem regions of the body.
- However, when you decrease total body fat, you’ll see a reduction in the size of your stomach.
- As a result, Robles believes that the most effective weight-loss strategy is a multi-channel approach that targets the controllable contributing elements, such as nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress reduction.
- Preserving a balanced diet and getting the right amount of calories is essential.
- Nouis advocates eating a variety of nutrient-dense vegetables, such as broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, spinach, and cauliflower, in addition to a sufficient amount of protein.
- Last but not least, remember to take care of yourself.
- Healthy stress management techniques can help you lower cortisol levels in your body and sleep better at night, both of which can help you avoid gaining weight and losing your waistline (or muffin top).
We know lack of exercise and poor diet leads to weight gain, but there are other factors causing abdominal weight gain that can be controlled.
- Top of a muffin.
- Overhang in the midsection.
- Whatever you choose to call it, once women reach their forties, the obstinate bulge that spills over the waistline begins to take hold.
- And no matter how many sit-ups you perform, the fat just will not melt away.
- Douglas Rosa, a personal trainer and nutrition coordinator at the University of Toronto, says it’s a difficult reality for women between the ages of 40 and 45, particularly for those who have worked hard to maintain their fitness throughout their life.
- Hormonal changes, particularly estrogen, have a significant influence in fat accumulation.
- ″Estrogen causes the body to retain fat in many parts of the body, notably the thighs, hips, and chest,″ Rosa explains.
- Men prefer to store fat in their hips and buttocks when estrogen levels are high; whereas, when estrogen levels are low, women tend to store more fat in their stomach area, according to the researcher.
- ″As women get older, estrogen production tends to decline, while the level of the male hormone androgen rises, leading weight to be redistributed to the stomach area.
- The aging process also results in a decrease of muscular mass, which causes the pace at which women metabolize calories to reduce significantly.
- That implies you won’t be able to get away with eating an extra handful of chips or skipping a couple of workouts any more.
- The more you deviate off the path, the larger the muffin top becomes.
- ″We used to assume it was only a matter of spot reduction,″ Rosa recalls of previous methods of dealing with abdominal fat.
- In order to lose weight around your stomach, you’d have to perform a lot of crunches, according to the doctor.
- That is no longer the case.
- Physical activity, balanced, portion-controlled meals, stress management, and plenty of sleep are all important components of a trimmer midsection equation.
″There isn’t a single activity that will benefit you,″ Rosa states emphatically.A mix of aerobic training and weight lifting, on the other hand, will help to reduce total body fat.″Anything that gets your heart rate up and your body moving will definitely burn fat,″ says Adriana Arrizza, a fitness instructor with more than 20 years of expertise.Exercises that include lateral motions, such as kickboxing, hopping from side to side, squats, and lunges, train the core muscles, which tighten the stomach and help to tone the arms and legs.However, you must burn the fat from your entire body.When it comes to nutrition, licensed dietitian Filomena Vernace-Inserra recommends consuming whole foods and adhering to the standards of the Canada Food Guide.
According to Vernace-Inserra, a nutrition counselor at Inner Health Nutrition Consulting, the most important reasons in keeping a muffin top include choosing fast food meals, eating rapidly, and consuming processed foods that digest too quickly.″Your body has to store that surplus energy, and it tends to be stored in that area of the abdomen pretty frequently.″ She claims that limiting portion sizes and eating balanced, nutritious meals that are rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, lean meats, and fish will result in a slimmer waistline, and that having less fat around the midsection will help reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic illnesses, among other things.″It’s not only about what you put in your mouth,″ adds Vernace-Inserra.″It’s about how you feel about yourself.″ Stress and a lack of sleep are two of the most serious issues.
- When the body is under stress, the brain releases the stress chemicals adrenaline and cortisol.
- The body accumulates the sugar, which is most commonly found in the middle, contributing to the problem of abdominal fat.
- A comparable issue arises as a result of a lack of sleep.
If you do not receive at least seven hours of sleep every night, stress hormones will rise, which will interfere with your ability to maintain a healthy weight.A combination of aerobic and weight exercise, as well as nutritious, full meals, can assist you in getting into shape and feeling good about yourself.In addition to helping you handle everyday pressures, tackling that one-two combination and combining it with lots of sleep is the best formula for losing stubborn belly fat.More information about health PARTICIPATE IN THE CONVERSATION All of our readers’ ideas are expressed in their conversations, which are subject to the Code of Conduct.The Star does not support any of these points of view.
What Causes Muffin Top and How to Get Rid of It
- It’s inconvenient to have extra fat collect around your waistline.
- It may be found deep within your body, and it can even pack around your intestines and liver if it is large enough.
- While having a fat stomach may appear to be innocuous, it is not aesthetically pleasing.
- We at Bright Side have conducted extensive study to determine what causes you to have persistent belly fat and how to eliminate it.
1. Stress is the first thing to blame.
When we are nervous, the body releases cortisol, which is a stress-related hormone. In addition to encouraging fat to accumulate in our stomach area, cortisol, while it can provide us with an increase in energy, can also result in weight gain. As a result of the release of stress hormones, our hunger increases, and the body becomes more resistant to losing weight.
2. Your body might be trying to tell you something’s wrong.
- Extra fat around your waistline may be associated with a number of health problems.
- Fat cells are responsible for the production of hormones that alert your body of the amount of fat you’ve accumulated.
- One of these hormones, known as leptin, has the potential to negatively impact your reproductive system and impair fertility.
- In addition to being an indication of a metabolic problem or high blood pressure, the fat hanging over the waist of your jeans may also be a sign of diabetes.
3. Sleepless nights might give you a chubby stomach.
When we are sleep deprived, we have a tendency to overindulge in sweets and to be less inclined to exercise. Stress levels rise as a result of a lack of sleep, as do our desires for unhealthy foods.
4. Couch potatoes are at higher risk for belly fat.
A person will gain weight if they consume more calories than they burn off over a given day. A sedentary lifestyle will make it difficult for you to remove excess fat, particularly the persistent muffin top that forms around your waist.
5. Tight rings may cause sausage fingers.
It is possible to develop muffin top not just around your chest, but also on your fingers, wrists, and legs. Having extra skin and fat protrude above or below your ring is an indication that your band is too tiny, resulting in a finger muffin top, which may be corrected with a ring sizer. The likelihood of developing a leg muffin is increased when your leggings are overly tight.
How to get rid of muffin top
- Incorporate some necessary fatty acids into your everyday diet to help speed up your metabolism.
- Healthy fatty acids can be found in nuts, cold-water fish, olive oil, and vegetables, to name a few sources.
- Get some exercise!
- There is no one specific workout that can help you lose your muffin top, but a combination of cardio and strength training will allow you to flatten out your stomach.
- Maintain control of your posture.
- The taller you are, the less muffin top you will have on your tummy.
- In order to maintain proper posture throughout the day, you must use your core muscles, which also helps you burn extra fat around your waist.
- Purchase clothing and accessories that are the right size.
- A pair of jeans with a higher waistband can assist you in visually smoothing out your belly area.
- Do you have a muffin top on your tummy?
- Do you have any suggestions for other methods of combating it?
What is a Muffin Top and How do I Get Rid of It?
- When we hear the phrase ″muffin top,″ we may feel a bit self-conscious about our appearance.
- Eventually, we may find ourselves dragging our shirts down or wearing loose-fitting slacks to conceal this portion of our bodies.
- However, having excess fat in this particular location is very typical for both men and women!
- Looking and feeling well, on the other hand, is still the primary objective for many of us.
- Fortunately, in this day and age of modern medicine and technology, we have a variety of options for dealing with this bothersome condition.
- For those interested in learning more about muffin top remedies, please continue reading to find out more information.
What Exactly Is a Muffin Top?
- When it comes to persistent fat around the stomach, the words ″love handles″ and ″muffin tops″ are commonly employed.
- In order to get muffin tops, you need to have a lot of subcutaneous fat and a lot of visceral fat in your belly.
- Subcutaneous fat accounts for 90 percent of our total body fat, with visceral fat accounting for just around 10 percent of total body fat.
- Contrary to popular belief, visceral fat is what makes it so difficult to remove stubborn belly fat.
- The reason for this is because visceral fat is found behind the abdominal wall, making it more difficult to lose weight.
- Not to mention that visceral fat cells have the potential to discharge poisonous compounds into the body, which can lead to catastrophic disorders.
- As a result, preventing this fat from accumulating is extremely crucial for your general health and look!
Muffin Top Causes
Certain causes, ranging from hormone production to food, might result in muffin tops in some people. Women are frequently ignorant of the specific factors contributing to their weight increase. This might make it more difficult to notice improvements, even if you’re exercising and eating well!
- Changes in a woman’s hormone levels can have an affect on her complexion, weight, and even hair density.
- It is possible that hormonal changes are caused by aging, birth control, or pregnancy in some cases.
- These hormonal fluctuations are rather common and will eventually restore their normal levels over time.
- Some women, on the other hand, experience long-term hormonal abnormalities.
- If that’s the case, reducing weight may be nearly hard to do.
- The lady should consider having a surgical procedure, such as liposuction or a stomach tuck, or taking prescription drugs to assist balance her hormones in these situations.
- Unfortunately, your genetics play a role in determining where certain body fats are deposited in your body.
- As a result, some people’s genetics will cause them to store fat around their waist, while others will store fat around their back and buttocks.
- In other words, if you’re wondering why your muffin top is more noticeable than the muffin tops of other individuals who weigh the same as you, it’s because your genetics prefer to store fat in this location.
Menopause is one of the most common causes of weight gain, hair loss, sadness, and anxiety among women of reproductive age. Unfortunately, this is something that we as women are powerless to prevent. Menopause also produces drastic hormonal changes, which, as previously discussed, can lead to an increase in body weight.
Stressors and Anxiety
Stress causes cortisol levels to rise, causing your body to go into survival mode and store as much fat as it can to keep you alive. You will maintain your current weight regardless of how hard you train out or how much you eat. Some women have a tendency to overeat in order to reduce stress, which can lead to the development of muffin tops.
Diet and Exercise
- This one appears to be a no-brainer, but we’ll include it nevertheless as a warning tale.
- Diet and exercise should still be a part of your daily routine, even if you feel you have a hormone imbalance or one of the other explanations listed above, to begin with.
- When it comes to exercising and eating right, you might be questioning why it is so necessary even if you do not notice any results because of these conditions.
- However, just because you do not notice visible benefits on the outside does not indicate that the combination is ineffective in the fight against undesirable fat.
- Diet and exercise, for example, have been shown to significantly lower stress.
- As a result, by lowering stress, you would also be able to lose weight.
- Diet and exercise can also aid in the treatment of hormonal imbalances caused by menopause or other conditions that may be contributing to your weight inconsistency.
Muffin Top Solutions
There are a plethora of options for dealing with muffin tops. Tummy tucks and other fat reduction operations are often the most successful and provide the most immediate effects. However, even after your wound has healed completely, it is still essential that you maintain a rigorous diet and exercise regimen in order to keep the excess fat at bay.
Liposuction to Remove a Muffin Top
- Even though liposuction might provide you with immediate benefits, you’re undoubtedly wondering what exactly this surgery includes.
- For begin, sedation is delivered with great caution.
- A tiny incision will be made near your stomach as a result of this procedure.
- Local anesthetic will be administered to this incision to alleviate any bleeding and bruising that may occur.
- When the region is ready, a small tube containing a surgical vacuum will be precisely inserted into the incision with precision.
- Light thrusting motions will be used by the surgeon to dislodge the fat, after which the fat will be suctioned out of your body.
- Having carefully removed the right quantity of body fat, the surgeon may stitch the incision and wrap it to complete the procedure.
- Liposuction is a relatively straightforward and non-invasive fat removal surgery when compared to other fat reduction procedures.
- The majority of patients recover within 3 to 6 weeks of their procedure.
- One or more of the following adverse effects may occur following the procedure: bruising, swelling, pain, and discomfort When performed poorly, liposuction can result in body shock syndrome, serious body infections, and even death if the procedure is not done properly.
- If you’re considering cosmetic surgery, it’s critical that you select the best plastic surgeons possible.
Tummy Tuck to Remove Muffin Top
- A stomach tuck, like liposuction, is performed under anesthesia for the patient’s comfort and safety.
- It is necessary to make a horizontal incision between your pubic area and your belly button once the appropriate amount has been supplied.
- To reach the fat, an incision will be created that is either longer or shorter depending on the amount of extra skin present.
- Once the incision has been done, the extra skin is removed and the abdominal muscles are given a chance to recover their strength.
- Women frequently experience difficulty losing weight as a result of a split in the abdominal wall!
- Using sutures, the remaining skin is brought back to its normal place after the extra skin has been removed and the abdominal wall has been repaired.
- The stomach appears flat and tightened as a result of this effect.
- In addition to bruising, swelling, pain, and discomfort, a belly tuck might cause.
- Infections, tears, and death are all possible adverse effects of this medication.
- The success rate for this procedure, on the other hand, is quite high.
- The best method to avoid issues is to adhere to the aftercare recommendations provided by your surgeon!
- After 4 to 7 weeks, the majority of women are totally cured.
Diet Pills and Teas for Muffin Tops
- Weight reduction gummy bears, drinks, and tablets are among the most popular topics for Instagram influencers to post about.
- The truth about these gimmicky products, on the other hand, is that some of them are really harmful and do not deliver long-lasting effects.
- Some people notice transient benefits, but they are caused by laxative-based treatments rather than by a fat-burning strategy, which is not recommended.
- To put it another way, your body is swiftly ridding itself of pollutants.
- With this strategy, you’re also removing other essential nutrients from your body at a rapid pace, which is an issue.
- The best course of action when considering over-the-counter weight reduction drugs is to conduct extensive study.
- If you’re considering of going this way, consult with a specialist and learn about the components in the product first before proceeding.
Best Diet for Muffin Top and Weight Loss
- Even if you intend on pursuing one of the choices listed above, maintaining a healthy diet will help you get longer-lasting effects.
- The outcomes of liposuction and stomach tucks are seen almost immediately.
- These methods, on the other hand, do not eliminate every single fat cell.
- Aside from that, by ingesting a large number of calories every day, your stomach becomes a prime target for fat cell growth.
- Overall, this may be readily avoided by burning a larger number of calories than you consume in a given day!
- For example, if you consume 3,000 calories per day, aim to burn as many as possible by engaging in physical activity!
Perfect Exercise Routine for Muffin Tops
- High-intensity aerobic exercise mixed with core-strengthening activities will help you lose some of the unsightly fat around your middle.
- Try to get in thirty minutes to an hour of exercise four times a week, if at all feasible!
- Start by stretching your whole body to make your muscles ready and prevent any tears from occurring.
- If you want to use a treadmill, begin by running at a moderate pace and gradually adding in 30 seconds of intensive cardio.
- You should do some core strengthening exercises once you get your body warmed up a little bit more.
- Side bends, pushups, rising planks, and mountain climbers are all excellent core-strengthening workouts.
Results Are Possible and Highly Achievable
Muffin tops don’t have to be an issue anymore! There are a plethora of options available for getting rid of that pesky fat. So say goodbye to your long tee-shirt and hello to that enticing bikini you’ve been admiring all summer long. Do not forget to call us immediately to set up an appointment for a consultation!
Menopausal Muffin Top
When you ask a woman about her least favored body area, the majority of us will point to our midriffs as the answer.And, in my experience, when we have extra fat that spills over the top of our clothes, our bellies may become particularly anxiety-inducing.This is, of course, the dreaded ″muffin top.″ A muffin top is something that may happen to any lady.While going through perimenopause and entering menopause, when the woman’s menstrual cycle comes to a stop, she is more prone to accumulate excess belly weight – particularly deep inside the abdomen – than a man.This is due to the fact that as estrogen levels decline, body fat is transferred from the hips, thighs, and buttocks (where it was previously deposited as a fuel reserve for nursing) to the abdominal region.Developing a pooch of subcutaneous (below the skin) fat, which I refer to as the ″menopot,″ is quite natural throughout menopause.
However, if you acquire more than 2 to 5 pounds, the weight will most likely be distributed deeper into the belly, resulting in an excessive amount of visceral fat.While it is necessary to have some fat in your stomach, I refer to this as ″poison fat″ when it gets excessive.This is due to the fact that large levels of visceral fat promote inflammation in the body, which may lead to a variety of illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.That is the disadvantage.The good news is that you have the ability to do something about it.
- The very first thing I want you to do is wrap a tape measure around your waist and across your belly button and record the results.
- Your aim is to have a waist circumference that is much less than 35 inches.
- If you are above the age of 35, you have an excessive amount of internal belly fat.
- After that, consider your eating habits.
- Keep in mind the ″big three″ diet guidelines: You should pay attention to the nutritional value and serving size of your foods, as well as the frequency with which you consume them.
- To put it another way, pick entire foods (vegetables, fruits, whole grains) as well as high-quality fats, carbohydrates, and protein sources.
- Aim to eat smaller meals more often, with an emphasis on include a nutritious snack after 3 pm, when exhaustion and irritation often lead to women reaching for junk food.
- Finally, begin moving – in order to effectively trim your waistline, you must employ both nutrition and exercise to achieve your goals.
How to Whittle Your Middle
Are you unsure about where to begin?Utilize the power of your mind (as well as your body) to combat your muffin top by following these three suggestions.Make use of your entire body.Combining cardio, weight training, and core exercises is the secret to losing body fat quickly and effectively.Interval training (alternating high- and low-intensity bursts inside a single session) is the key to burning 400 calories per workout, four to five times a week, and building up to that level of fitness.Weight train twice a week, either at home or at the gym, and engage in yoga or Pilates to tone and tighten the abdominal muscles.
Visualize yourself receiving your prize.Close your eyes and imagine yourself without the extra weight around your midsection.What is your physical appearance?What kind of clothes are you wearing?How much lighter do you think you are?
- This should be done on a daily basis.
- Unless you have a specific objective in mind, you will be trapped doing technical duties (such as eating and exercising) that may seem pointless.
- Combine self-discipline with self-acceptance.
- Getting oneself out of bed for that early morning workout session does need some willpower, to be sure.
- However, the greater your sense of self-worth and respect, the more likely it is that you will regard discipline as a means of achieving your goals.
How do I hide a muffin top?
No matter what your body type is, you could have a little ″extra″ around your stomach that you’d like to keep hidden from view.But don’t worry, there’s a fashionable solution for every problem!With a few crucial elements and a few attractive shapes, muffin-tops (not the sort that comes out of the oven) may be effortlessly disguised.Here are a few don’ts (well, only one!) as well as a slew of dos to help you achieve your ideal figure.
Best Tops to Hide a Muffin Top
Before we get started, let’s clarify what we mean by a ″muffin top.″ A ″muffin top″ is that small portion of your stomach that accumulates around your waistline whether you’re wearing jeans, trousers, or skirts. Ask a Stylist receives a lot of questions about this topic, so we’re here to clear things up for everyone.
Don’t Wear Clingy Tops—Look for Structured Fabrics Instead
What is the secret of keeping something hidden? Avoid anything that is clinging and instead look for something with structure. Tops and blouses made of woven fabric that skim your stomach rather than cling to it are the ideal option. Stylist Tip: When wearing a flowing top, pair it with a fitted bottom—pencil skirts and thin jeans are ideal for striking the right balance.
Do Wear Tops that Emphasize Your Bust
Increase the prominence of your bustline to draw attention away from your muffin top. The best silhouette for you will be one that rests at the narrowest part of your waist and glides over your tummy. Tops with a trapeze or peplum silhouette are excellent choices for drawing attention to your bustline.
Do Layer With a Camisole
Maintain a sleek and flawless appearance with a little assistance from your undergarments! When it comes to creating a clean line from your breast to your waist, a shapewear camisole is ideal. Adding a kimono to your outfit adds an airy flash of color while also concealing a muffin top without making you sweat!
How to Hide a Muffin Top in Jeans
What is the worst enemy of a muffin top? A pair of trousers that are overly tight and have a low waist. If you want to conceal a muffin top, the first thing you should do is ditch your incredibly low-waisted jeans and opt for a pair that is higher-waisted or mid-rise in height.
Do Try High-Waisted Jeans
The high-waisted pant, one of the most stylish contemporary mainstays, is now officially in style. High-waisted jeans are flattering on everyone and help to keep everything in place.
Do Choose Jeans with Stretch in the Waist
What is a key contributing factor to muffin top? When your pants’ waistline is simply too tight to wear comfortably. Try on new trousers and opt for a pair that has a little bit of stretch in the waistline for a little extra wiggle space when you’re trying them on.
Do Pair Low-Rise Jeans with Longer Tops
If you have a penchant for low-rise jeans and just can’t seem to get enough of them, make sure your shirts are a little longer to suit your higher waistline.When a blouse that is too short is worn with bottoms that are too low, the focus is drawn directly to your hips and any other areas you wish to keep hidden.Tip from the stylist: Are you looking for a new top?When you raise your arms, you may see if your top is too short.Your belly button should not be visible in this position.
How to Hide a Muffin Top in a Dress
Dresses are our go-to garment for throwing on and going, and they’re real workhorses when it comes to complimenting every body type and silhouette. Prepare to learn the inside scoop on the finest dresses to wear to cover a muffin top!
Do Try An Empire Waist Silhouette
Just like reaching for a pair of high-waisted jeans, opting for an empire waist dress that sits just below your bustline prevents a muffin top from becoming too tight.
Do Try a Timeless Wrap Dress
Because it shapes your waistline and provides an immediate hourglass frame, the universally appealing wrap dress has remained a classic for decades.
Do Add a Cropped Jacket
In order to provide additional covering, consider pairing your outfit with a cropped or fitted jacket to help give your frame some form and definition.The waistline of a jacket that is narrow (such as a fitted blazer) or the cropped denim jacket will provide clean, streamlined lines.Your muffin top will be a thing of the past with a few simple styling tips!It’s all about searching for the ideal silhouettes that can properly cover your less-than-pleasant facial features.—Brittany and Anne ' Are you on the lookout for a few new things to wear with confidence?Our team of stylists is available to assist you.
Take our style questionnaire, sign up for your first Fix, and let our team of style experts build a package that is tailored to your tastes and preferences.Five great designs will be sent to your door in no time, which you will be able to try on in the privacy of your own home.Returns and exchanges are always free of charge, ensuring a hassle-free shopping experience.
How to Get Rid of Your Muffin Top
Article to be downloaded article to be downloaded Muffin top, or extra fat around the waist, is one of the most challenging parts of the body to tone and contour to a more youthful appearance.Diet, exercise, sleep, and stress may all have an affect on belly fat, which can make it particularly stubborn and difficult to lose.It is possible to reduce your body fat percentage and effectively lose your muffin top by following an exercise plan, making dietary changes, and adopting better living choices, despite the fact that it might be difficult.
1 Engage in physical activity at least three times each week.When it comes to getting rid of your muffin top and shedding excess body fat, consistency is essential to success.No matter what workout program you choose, make sure you can commit to doing it at least three times a week to ensure that you’re getting enough movement to lose belly fat and lose weight.The length of time required can vary based on your unique body type and goals; nevertheless, you should expect to spend around 30 to 60 minutes every session.
- 2 Alter the intensity and duration of your exercises to prevent reaching a plateau. Belly fat is notoriously tough to get rid of since it is so persistent. Therefore, it is critical that you alter your training program in order to prevent reaching a plateau in your growth. A particular workout will become less effective as your muscles become acclimated to it over time as they become accustomed to it. Change vary your workout routine to maintain using a greater variety of muscle groups and, as a result, burning more calories. Changing up your training routine might also help you avoid exercise monotony and stay motivated.
- In the same way, if you go to