A 3-tier wedding cake price may start at $250 to as much as a thousand. To give you an approximate, a $250-cake with tier sizes (10”, 8”, 6”) could serve 75 guests. Then again, as we have mentioned, other factors will affect cost.
Tres Sucre of Salt Lake City offers one-tier wedding cakes starting at $100, two-tier cakes starting at $200, three-tier cakes starting at $300, and four-tier cakes starting at $400. Most cake bakers charge a delivery fee to safely get multitiered cakes to their customers’ venue. These fees usually increase the farther the baker is from the venue.
Would you pay £400 for a three tier wedding cake?
‘The design of a three tier wedding cake for £400 is likely to be fairly basic and often the finish is buttercream, as opposed to fondant,’ says Laura. ‘Fresh flowers can be used instead of sugar flowers for cakes in this price bracket to help keep the cost down.’
How much is a wedding cake for 100 guests?
Working with the average wedding cake cost, you can feed up 100 guests for a moderate price. How Much Is A Wedding Cake For 150 Guests? $525 – $840 This may be the most flexible option, achievable with a variety of tier and shape choices.
What is a three tier cake?
Three tier cakes can come in all shapes and sizes. This one is a modern, deconstructed example. All the cakes I make are completely bespoke. That means they will be designed and made completely from scratch with only an idea at the beginning. The cost of a cake is not simply the ingredients.
How much does a five-tier wedding cake cost?
On the other end of the scale, five-tier wedding cakes can cost as much as £1,000. The price could be higher if the cake is adorned with crystals and other luxurious touches.
How much does a 3 layer cake cost?
The starting prices of our specialty cakes include three layers of cake and two layers of filling.
How much is a wedding cake for 150 guests?
For 150 guests, you will need about 125-135 servings of your wedding cake.
How much should I budget for a wedding cake?
The average U.S. wedding cake costs around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online service that matches customers with local professionals. On the lower end, couples spend around $125 and on the higher end, they typically spend upward of $700—often over $1,000! —on their wedding cake.
How much does a 3-tier wedding cake feed?
Cake Tiers and Serving Sizes
The average 12′ wedding cake serves 40-60 people. The 10′ cake on top of that serves 30-40 people and the 8′ cake on top of that serves 20-25 people. So a classic 3-tier cake with 12, 10, and 8 inch layers serves about 100 people.
How do you price a wedding cake?
One important thing to know when trying to budget for your wedding cake is how cakes are priced: Cake Bakers price wedding cakes by the slice, not by the entire cake. The average price of a slice of cake is around $4 for buttercream and $5 for fondant.
How do I price my cake?
How much should I charge for my cake?
- First, estimate how many hours is this cake going to take – 5 hours.
- Then, calculate the cost of ingredients – $20.
- Next, determine the labor cost – $20 x 5 = 100.
- Add utilities cost – $5.
- Sundry cost (small cost) – $5.
- Then, calculate the total cost: 20 + 100 + 5 + 5 = $130.
What is the standard size of a 3 tier wedding cake?
Three-tier wedding cakes are definitely a popular choice for couples. A standard size of 6″, 8″ and 10″ 3 layer tiers, would give you approximately 90 portions, which is a good amount of servings for an average sized wedding.
Why is wedding cake so expensive?
‘Remember, the majority of the cost of your wedding cake is due to the design and the time and supplies it takes to execute,’ she says. ‘Subtracting the cost of the actual edible cake won’t make a significant difference with an over the top, super custom design.’
How many tiers are needed for a wedding cake?
A traditional wedding cake has three tiers and each tier of a wedding cake has its own significance. Tradition has it that the bottom tier is for eating at the ceremony, the middle tier for distributing after the event, and the top tier was saved.
How many tiers are needed for 150 guests?
In general, three tiers will serve 50 to 100 guests. So, if you’re having 150 or more, you’ll likely need four or more tiers.
What was the most expensive wedding cake?
Wow, 4000 Diamonds! A bakery in Chester, England, has created what is reportedly the world’s most expensive wedding cake, valued at $52.7 million. It took more than 4000 diamonds to decorate this eight-tiered confection.
Are cupcakes cheaper than wedding cake?
Choosing cupcakes, pies, or doughnuts for your wedding can be cheaper than getting a wedding cake. While the actual pricing will depend on your bakery, these items don’t require much decorating time, so you’ll be saving on labor for your wedding dessert.
How much cake do I need for 25 guests?
10 in cakes can be sensibly served to up to 25 people with each slice measuring about 1 1⁄4 inches across the back or about the width of a teaspoon. As with the 8 inch cakes, 10 inch cakes can be served event style. Cut event style, a 10 inch cake can be served to as many as 39 people.
What is the average size of a wedding cake?
Each tier has a cake that typically has between one to four layers. Most standard wedding cakes have between two to four tiers. Most cake tiers are made up of 6-inch, 8-inch, 10-inch, or 12-inch cakes. On average, wedding cake slices are smaller than normal cake slices.
|Cake Size – Round||Number of Servings|
How much does a 3 tier wedding cake cost?
Well, a wedding cake is an artwork. It takes an experienced baker with skilled hands and a creative mind to make one. A 3-tier wedding cake price may start at $250 to as much as a thousand. To give you an approximate, a $250-cake with tier sizes (10”, 8”, 6”) could serve 75 guests.
How much is a 3 tier wedding cake at Walmart?
Walmart’s eight-inch round cakes cost between $8.98 and $13 and can provide up to eight servings, showcasing another great bargain. Bar cakes also come in at a similar price range at $14.98, so it’s clear just how great Walmart cake prices are across the board. Even their most expensive cakes are still reasonably priced.
How many people would a 3 tier cake serve?
We rate the yield on OUR cakes to serve 5 people to the pound (3.2 oz. per slice) so for example if you have 100 guests you recommend a 20 lb. cake. (100 guests divided by 5 = 20) If you wish to reserve the top tier for the couple to take home add 2-3 pounds to the total. Top tiers are typically 6′ to 8′ in size and 1.5 to 3 lbs.
Factors That Determine Cake Costs
Perhaps the process of planning your wedding has made you realize that selecting a cake might be fairly difficult. You choose the design, the decorations, the taste, the icing, the layer structure, the shape, the size, and even the toppers! All of these characteristics have an impact on the price of the cake.
- Size and number of servings are important considerations. In the case of a three-tier wedding cake, there is no set size. You may choose the size of the cake based on the number of guests you intend to invite to the celebration. More layers mean a higher price tag, which means a larger cake will cost more money. However, a larger cake will, of course, allow for more portions of icing or frosting. There are several options available. It is important to understand that rolled fondant and marzipan are the most expensive options since they demand more time and knowledge to produce a flawless canvas out of them than other options. These icings are ideal for summer wedding receptions.
- The shape of a cake. Round cakes are less costly than other cake shapes since they are less complicated to make. It is possible that ordering a heart-shaped cake or novelty cakes, as well as other unique requests, will raise the cost of the total cake pricing. Simple toppers, such as fresh, edible flowers or foliage, can allow you to save money on your wedding budget. If you select custom-made toppers for your cake, expect to pay a premium price for your cake.
Perhaps you’re still perplexed as to why the vast majority, if not all, of cakes are so expensive. A wedding cake, on the other hand, is a piece of art. To create one, you’ll need an expert baker with dexterous hands and a creative imagination.
Higher prices may be charged by more experienced bakers, particularly those who have built a name for themselves in the industry.However, you may rest confident that their work will be of high quality and consistency.If you decide to use the services of a high-end institution, be prepared to pay a greater price.However, you might want to consider using the services of small businesses who have received positive consumer reviews.
- You may save money while still receiving a high-quality wedding cake in this manner.
- Cakes of various sizes and flavors are available for purchase in most bakeries’ online shops, where you can discover complete price information.
- You may determine your budget before stepping out to arrange an appointment based on the information supplied in the reference.
- Are you working with a limited budget?
- You may purchase one showcase cake in the icing and flavor of your choice for a little fee.
- Then you may personalize it with your own decorations.
- Keep it as small as possible.
- It will be perfect for the cake cutting ceremony and for taking photographs.
- Order cake slabs to serve as a dessert for the visitors.
Here’s how to find out more information on wedding cakes.
Wedding Cake Prices: How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
- Wedding cake shopping is by certainly one of the most pleasurable jobs associated with wedding preparation – but how much does a wedding cake cost? Something to keep in mind about wedding cake pricing is that they might vary greatly based on the type of cake that you desire. In addition to the size (although this does have a role), the style and finish can have an impact on the price. The price of your cake may also be affected by the experience and location of the cake maker. Having said that, it is easy to have a general notion of what to expect in terms of price. With the aid of industry professionals, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide on wedding cake costs that will help you and your spouse feel certain that what you’re spending is fair and sensible, no matter what your budget is. We’ll also provide you with some suggestions on how to save money along the road! READ ON FOR MORE INFORMATION a collection of 21 little wedding cakes perfect for intimate wedding receptions
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavors That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- 55 Totally Different Wedding Cake Flavours That Your Guests Will Never Forget
- How to Decorate a Plain Wedding Cake in 30 Different Ways
What Is the Average Cost of a Wedding Cake?
However, while the average cost of a wedding cake is roughly £300, it is becoming increasingly usual for couples to desire a wedding cake that is unique and takes centre stage at their reception – simply search for ‘wedding cake’ on Instagram to see some absolutely incredible designs! Cakes like these, on the other hand, have a monetary price tag attached to them.
How Much Should I Pay for a Wedding Cake?
Remember that there is no ″correct″ answer; instead, consider how significant the cake is to your celebration.For those of you who enjoy baking or just have a sweet appetite, it may be appropriate to allocate a larger portion of your money to the cake.If you and your spouse, on the other hand, are adamantly opposed to the concept of a celebratory sponge, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t celebrate at all!Take into consideration the occasion for which the cake is being served.
- Are you utilizing it for ornamental purposes as a dessert table highlight and not intending to serve it to everyone, or are you using it in lieu of your pudding and intending to serve it to each and every person in attendance?
What Factors Affect the Price of a Wedding Cake?
When it comes to purchasing a wedding cake, there are a variety of various aspects that will influence the price you will pay.
The Time of Year
The cost of wedding cakes does not fluctuate significantly depending on the season, in contrast to certain other types of wedding suppliers that modify their pricing at different seasons of the year.Having said that, if you’re getting married during peak wedding season and/or on a weekend, you might expect to notice an increase in prices because wedding cake providers will be at their busiest.
The Location of Your Wedding
Wedding cake vendors in London and the South East tend to charge greater costs than those in the rest of the nation, however there are a variety of other factors that influence the final price of the cake.You should also consider the possibility of additional shipping fees.Nicola Nicholls of The Pretty Sugar Cake Company explains that ″location might contribute to the overall cost of the cake because most cake makers will charge a delivery fee depending on round trip mileage/time needed to deliver and set up the cake.″ ″Selecting a vendor that is closer to the venue might be more cost effective in some cases.″ READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
The Wedding Cake Size
The final cost of your wedding cake will be determined by the size of your wedding cake and the number of guests that will be served by it.In order to feed at least 100 wedding guests, you’ll need a wedding cake with three to four layers at a minimum, which will raise your total cost to around £400.In the words of Dee Farrance, owner of Sugar High Cakes, ″we always advise and encourage our clients to remember that when you purchase a wedding cake, you are mostly paying for the artist’s time.″ ″It may take up to a week to make a three-tiered wedding cake,″ says the baker.
The Wedding Cake Design
However, while the size of your wedding cake will be a big element in the pricing, the design of your wedding cake will have the greatest impact on how much it costs you in terms of money.The creation of a cake design with a lot of detail, such as handcrafted sugar flowers, hand-piping details, ruffles, and other embellishments, takes significantly longer, which raises the cost of the cake, according to Nicola.″The creation of a single sugar rose might take up to an hour.Custom sugar flowers, hand piping detail, ruffles, stenciling work, and other labor-intensive elements will increase the cost of the cake, since you are paying for the baker’s time and expertise.″ Naked wedding cakes, for example, may be prepared with significantly less effort than cakes covered in fondant and decorated with handcrafted sugar decorations, resulting in a lower overall cost.
- You may believe that going custom will increase the cost, and in some circumstances, this is true – but not in all cases.
- According to Nicola, ″the pricing will always depend on what the design is, whether it is a prior design that has been requested or an entirely new design.″ ″For example, a very basic new design would be less expensive than a prior, more intricate design, which would be more expensive.
- My cakes are always made to order since there are always certain features that are unique to each cake.″
The Wedding Cake Ingredients
Aside from the design features, the sort of cake you select may make a difference as well. In Nicola’s opinion, fruit cakes and those containing luxury ingredients such as Champagne and liquors will always be more expensive than a vanilla sponge cake for example.
What Type of Wedding Cake Can You Get for Your Budget?
With the goal of making the process of purchasing your wedding cake as simple and straight forward as possible, we’ve put up a comprehensive list of what you can anticipate from a cake maker for pricing ranging between £100 and more than £1,000.While these costs are not the same for all wedding cake vendors due to a variety of elements to take into consideration, they serve as useful guides for couples who are unsure of what they may obtain for their budget.
Wedding Cakes Up to £150
Instead of fondant, a very basic, single-tiered wedding cake may be had for less than £100.It will be frosted with buttercream (or left bare) rather than fondant.Although, given that this is the lower end of the spectrum, there isn’t much opportunity for individualized embellishments or show-stoppers, with £100 to spend, you can expect to receive a tiny, basic, and beautiful wedding cake that will serve around 20-30 people on average.Cake topper and flowers (check with your florist first to ensure that the flowers are appropriate for the cake) may always be used to add interest to a cake.
- Select a supermarket design and decorate it yourself, or choose a smaller cake design and save money by purchasing a larger cake for less money.
- A wedding cake that serves up to 120 guests is available from merchants such as Marks & Spencer and Waitrose if you are planning a huge wedding party.
- However, while this is a fantastic offer for couples who are looking to save money on their wedding cake, the cakes are mass-produced and generally only come in a few basic flavors, such as chocolate or lemon.
- MORE INFORMATION: Supermarket Wedding Cakes: Low-Cost Wedding Cakes from the High Street
Wedding Cakes for £150 – £300
Increasing your wedding cake budget to around £300 will provide you with additional possibilities. You can anticipate to be able to buy a more elaborate single-tier wedding cake or a tiny two-tier wedding cake with a plain or bare design that serves up to 50 guests.
Wedding Cakes for £300 – £400
Couples should expect to pay up to £400 for a three-tiered wedding cake that will feed up to 100 guests.In Laura’s opinion, ″the design of a three-tier wedding cake costing £400 is likely to be pretty plain, and the finish is frequently buttercream rather than fondant,″ she adds.For cakes in this price range, fresh flowers can be used in place of sugar flowers to help keep the cost down, she says.
Wedding Cakes for £450 – £600
Designing a cake in this pricing category may be quite complicated, according to Ann’s Designer Cakes’ team: ″Our nude, royal iced swirl or drip wedding cakes are an excellent indication of what you can expect to pay in this price range.Even though the designs of these cakes are simple, we are able to create something really lovely and special for a couple’s wedding by using fresh fruits, berries, and silk flowers into the design.″ This pricing range is the beginning point for a three-tier fondant cake that will serve 80-120 guests on a budget.Couples with a budget of £600 for their wedding cake should expect more design work and a greater variety of flavors than those with a lesser budget.
Wedding Cakes for £700 – £800
Increasing your wedding cake budget to £800 offers you a whole new world of possibilities. Couples should anticipate at least three or four six-inch tiers, sugar work, and flower arrangements — as well as other design components – for this fee. READ MORE: 63 Stunning Wedding Cake Designs to Inspire Your Big Day
Wedding Cakes for £800 – £1,000
You will receive even more creative work and attention to detail if you increase your wedding cake budget to £1,000 or more.″According to Dee, ″for this price, you should anticipate the majority of four-tier cakes and some simpler five-tier desserts to be available.″ ″These cakes will typically incorporate some time-consuming aspects, such as intricate fondant fabric effects, hand piping patterns, or hand-painted embellishments,″ says the author.More information may be found at ’33 Questions You Should Ask Your Wedding Cake Maker ‘.A couple that expects their wedding cake to be a genuine focal point at their celebration, and to really stand out and be adored, should be prepared to pay this amount,″ adds the expert ″Laura expresses herself.
- ″A great deal of detailed labor goes into these cakes, and they are frequently coated in a great deal of sugar work and intricacy.″
Wedding Cakes Over £1,000
For a wedding cake that costs more than £1,000, you can expect nothing less than an extraordinary confectionary creation.You’ll be dealing with a very experienced and talented cake decorator who is likely to be booked up months in advance of your wedding.Expect at least two consultations to create a completely customized cake: an initial appointment to discuss needs and sample a variety of cake flavors, followed by a second visit to inspect the design and finalize details.The options available at this pricing point are mind-boggling.
- These cakes start at seven levels and can incorporate custom-made elements as well as intricately crafted bespoke emblems and logos.
- A discount on extra sweet goods like as edible favors, cake pops, and cookies may also be available for you to take advantage of.
- It’s really easy to go over budget on your wedding – so make sure you’ve read our 7 suggestions for staying on track with your budget before planning your big day!
Average Price Of A Wedding Cake: A 2022 Guide For You
If you’re planning a wedding, there’s no question that the image of the wedding cake is permanently etched in your memory.However, if you’re not familiar with the industry, the typical cost of a wedding cake may come as a surprise.Wedding cake is a type of cake that is baked for a wedding.When it comes to wedding cakes, the average price varies drastically depending on whether you’re making them yourself or obtaining them from an outside vendor, as well as how many people you’re expecting.
- We’re here to help you understand everything so that you know precisely what to anticipate.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most popular wedding cake?
When should you order a wedding cake?
What Is The Average Price Of A Wedding Cake?
In order to determine the typical wedding cake pricing, a variety of considerations must be taken into consideration. The average overall expenditure came to $540 on average.
The Average Cost Of Wedding Cake Per Slice
The prices range from as little as $1.50 per slice to as much as $12.00 per slice. It’s usually a good idea to have a good estimate of how many guests will be attending your event before booking your caterer or putting down a deposit on your banquet location. This is the most effective method to approach the task of planning your wedding cake.
What Impacts The Cost Of A Wedding Cake?
You’re probably thinking to yourself, ″Why can’t I receive a straight answer?″ at this point. Because of all the variables, you’re always coming into large ranges of values. We’ll go over each of them in detail so that you have a better sense of which side of the range you should be focussing on at any given time.
Wedding Cake Ingredients
- 1 Isn’t butter, wheat, sugar, and eggs a given? Yes, they are the fundamentals, but even them are subject to a wide variety of quality. The better the quality of your baker’s ingredients, the more upmarket your bakery is likely to be. As soon as you include up all of the extras, such as flavorings and frosting as well as the specialized equipment required to make it happen, you can see the difference between a $100 and a $1000 wedding cake in your mind. When it comes to the cost of a wedding cake, a simple design with some decorative edges will keep costs on the lower end of the normal range. As soon as you start adding pearls and fondant and icing flowers and 3-D wafer paper and hand-painted embellishments, you’ll be on your way to being in the upper echelon of cake design and decorating. Adding a few layers may not seem like a huge concern, but the higher you go in the tier structure, the greater the likelihood of a calamity occurring. In order to reproduce Queen Victoria’s 300-pound wonder, only the highly skilled (and pricey) hands of a master are required! There are five varieties of typical wedding cake frosting: buttercream, fondant, whipped cream, and ganache. Buttercream, Meringue, Whipped Cream, Fondant Icing, Ganache, and Royal Icing are all examples of frostings.
Each requires a different set of materials, some of which are more difficult to deal with than others. For those who want to keep prices down, you may always choose for the increasingly fashionable ″naked″ appearance.
Wedding Cake Delivery Fees
5 In most cases, the cost of the cake does not include delivery costs and taxes. Even if you choose the most prestigious baker in the city, the cost of delivery will be more than if you use a conventional delivery service since they will have to go further. Why? They are in charge of keeping it at the proper temperature and ensuring that it is entirely undamaged at all times.
Cake Equipment Rentals
6 If you’re planning on renting cupcake displays, cake stands, and cake toppers from your baker, this will add to the overall cost of your wedding.
Wedding Dessert Types And Cost
- This list of wedding cake options is perfect for those wishing to spice things up with something different for their wedding reception. Cupcakes, cake pops, croquembouche, macarons, and other confections
The first two will be a big hit with both the guests and the newlyweds.A welcome splash of color to spruce up vibrant wedding theme colors, wedding cupcakes and cake pops also have the added bonus of being extremely simple to predetermine amounts; one per guest plus a few extras just in case.The second and third are surprising and glitzy, and they go perfectly with historic themes like The Great Gatsby or anything from old-world France or Italy, among other things.It takes a bit more time and work to calculate portions, but the results are well worth it.
- Even while it is usually a good idea to deliver something unexpected, if you are searching for a means to minimize the cost of your wedding cake, you will have to seek someplace else for inspiration.
- It costs $2.50 to $4.00 each service for these wedding cake substitutes, which is comparable to the price of a traditional wedding cake.
Wedding Cake Serving Sizes
In most cases, calculating how much square cake you’ll need to feed your whole guest list is rather straightforward; but, when dealing with circle cakes and many layers, the math becomes a bit more involved.
Wedding Cake Serving Chart
- Make use of this chart to estimate how much wedding cake you’ll need to serve your guests. 5-inch serving size
- 8-serving size
- 6″ – 12 servings
- 6″ – 12 servings
- 7″ – 16 servings
- 7″ – 16 servings
- 8″ – 24 servings
- 8″ – 24 servings
- 9″ in diameter – 32 serves
- 10″ – about 38 serves
- 11″ is 47 servings.
- 12-inch serving size (56 servings)
- 13″ – a total of 67 servings
- 14″ – a total of 78 servings
- 1’15″ yields 89 servings
- Take note that these values are based on the average piece size and deal with the typical depth of the cake. Because a deeper cake makes for thinner pieces, these suggestions are no longer valid. Consult with your wedding cake baker, who will be well-versed in the number of guests who will be served by their wedding cake. Consider this: a standard-sized 3-tier wedding cake will feed 50 to 100 people, depending on the size of the cake. Make advantage of these numbers as your starting points if you want to take your sheet cake in a different direction. The following sizes are available: quarter sheet cake (54 servings), half sheet cake (108 servings), and full sheet cake (192 servings).
What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 100 People?365 to 570 dollars If you use the typical wedding cake cost as a guideline, you can serve 100 guests for a reasonable price.What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 150 People?Between $525 and $840 This may be the most adaptable option, since it can be achieved through a range of tier and form options.
- When it comes to wedding cakes, how much does a cake for 200 guests cost?
- From $765 to $1080 The location where you acquire the cake and the complexity of your design determine the cost of your wedding cake.
- What Is the Cost of a Wedding Cake for 250 People?
- $900+ You would expect the cost of feeding 125 people to be double that of feeding 50 visitors, however economies of scale begin to come in when you have this many guests.
- Every year, we recommend that you budget 5-10 percent extra than you think you’ll need to cover unexpected expenses.
- The likelihood is that you’ll cut a few slices that are too large, that unexpected visitors will arrive, or that some sly guests will make their way to a second piece is high.
- Of course, you’ll want to budget more more for special occasions such as anniversaries or souvenirs.
Tips On Saving Money On A Wedding Cake
Keep these suggestions in mind if you want to keep your wedding cake costs lower than the national average for the occasion.
- Keep things straightforward: The higher the number of levels and the more sophisticated the design, the more expensive it will be
- You will receive two cakes. It is possible to keep expenses down by baking a smaller tiered cake for photographs and your anniversary, and giving your guests the same tastes through sheet cake.
- Consider a new perspective. Flowers made from real flowers are less expensive than ones made from icing.
- Buttercream should be used to decorate. When compared to regular frosting, this is less expensive. When you’re feeding 200 or more people, this may add up to a significant amount of money.
This article will assist you in estimating the typical cost of a wedding cake so that you may include a suitable sum in your budget and include the cake in your planning. Make sure you have enough for all of your guests before making judgments about design and ingredients until you have the cake of your dreams that is also within your budget when it comes time to work with final figures.
How much is a three tier wedding cake?
Allow me to use the overused, traditional retort of ″How long is a piece of string?″ but that would honestly have to be my counter-question in this situation.So, what is the cost of a three-tiered wedding cake?Why isn’t it straightforward to provide you with a cost estimate?Three-tiered cakes are available in a variety of forms and sizes.
- This one is a more contemporary, deconstructed version.
Bespoke, Unique Wedding Cakes
All of the cakes that I create are totally customized.That is, they will be built and constructed entirely from scratch, with merely an initial concept as a starting point.The cost of a cake is not just determined by the ingredients used.And it’s at this point that I feel many cake designers get their price completely incorrect.
- ‘I’ll cover the cost of the ingredients for you’ is another offer made in the context of baking a cake for a friend.
- In order to manage a successful cake business, it is essential to understand how much each item costs.
Costs are different for everyone
My charges include the cost of my ingredients as well as all of my expenses, including gas, electricity, rent, transportation, my design process, tasting session, my expertise, delivery and setup at your location, and my time.I also include the cost of my ingredients.Undoubtedly, there are some additional items on this list that I have neglected to include!On many a Facebook cake makers forum, the topic ″How much would you charge for a three tier wedding cake?″ comes up frequently, prompting members to ask other cake manufacturers their rates.
- But, since everyone’s expenses are different, how can there be any expectation of an industry standard?
- What criteria should we use to establish the bar?
- A rumor circulated about how much M&S charges for a three-tiered wedding cake.
- The fact is that if a home baker is charging this amount or less, there is no way that they are earning anything close to a minimum wage or generating any profit from the cake that they are baking for their customers.
- How can a single individual baking a cake compete with an industrial manufacturing line of baked goods?
- And, maybe more importantly, they just cannot.
- This three-tiered wedding cake made of wafer paper is much more contemporary and has a lot more handcrafted features than a lot of three-tier wedding cakes.
- Because it is an original design, the cost is more than if it were to be copied from an existing design because it was built from start.
Hobby baker vs business owner
Also, if a hobby baker says they’ll make you a cake for £x, that’s one thing.If they say they’ll make you a cake for £y, that’s another.It’s also OK for a relative to bake you a wedding cake for the cost of materials because she already has another full-time work to support herself and pay her bills; this is also acceptable.It’s important to remember that if you’re obtaining an estimate from a cake shop owner who specializes in customized cake design and will create a custom wedding cake for you, expect to pay extra for their skill, as well as to cover their overhead and compensation.
But what is it ‘they’ say about wedding costs?
When you mention the letter ″W,″ vendors immediately increase the price by a few digits…It is very possible that a three-tier birthday cake will be priced in the same manner as a three-tier wedding cake, so you can forget about the notion that I am overly generous when it comes to the ″W″ word.That’s not how I roll, and to be fair to the majority of cake designers and wedding vendors out there, that’s not how they roll as well.This is the end of my mini rant!
- As a result, when everything is taken into consideration, there can’t possibly be an industry standard.
- My cake design style is entirely distinct from the design style of another cake maker.
- We may also reside on opposite sides of the nation, with vastly different cost of living situations.
- Other cake makers may simply be having a good time with their pastime, in which case they will offer a lower price.
- A comparison between what your relative paid and what you’ve been quoted is not a smart idea because there are so many variables to take into consideration.
- For a three-tiered wedding cake that is both distinctive and personalized, please get in contact with us.
- Aside from that, I’ll want information on the number of people you intend to serve, where the cake will be delivered, and any special elements you’d like the cake to have.
- In addition, the pricing for your cake will be customized!
- K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx K xx
Wedding Cake Prices 2021
After the main course has been served at a wedding reception, the wedding cake is served.Traditionally, wedding cakes are the focal point of the reception and are sliced by the bride and groom as part of the celebrations of the day.It was traditionally thought that wedding cakes were offered as a sign of good fortune.Wedding cakes are far more luxurious than typical cakes when compared to other occasions.
- This dish can have many levels and be constructed from any number of different components.
- Traditionally, wedding cakes are constructed of fruit and iced with marzipan to give them a luxurious appearance.
- A wedding cake may be made in any shape or flavor you like these days, thanks to advancements in technology.
- Take, for example, a sponge cake that is made up of numerous layers, each with a different flavor and color.
- At the end of the day, a wedding cake should reflect the personality of the bride and groom.
- It is intended to be sipped when the guests raise a toast, and as such, it should contribute to the overall feeling of celebration.
How much does a Wedding Cake cost?
Wedding cakes may be as simple or as ornate as you want them to be, so it’s difficult to estimate how much you should expect to pay because it all depends on what you choose. To give you an approximate estimate of how much wedding cakes cost on average in the United Kingdom, consider the following:
What changes the price of a Wedding Cake?
- A vast variety of flavors, sizes, and shapes are available for wedding cakes to suit any taste. Taking your wedding’s theme into consideration might assist you in narrowing down your cake selection options. Here are some more pricing points to consider to assist you in making your decision: The type of wedding cake
- the size of the cake
- the design of the cake
- the cake mixture
- the finish of the cake
- the location
Type of wedding cake
To illustrate, the average cost of a wedding cake will vary depending on the type of cake you choose.
|Type of wedding cake||Highest average price||Lowest average price|
If you’re on a tight budget, a single layer wedding cake will provide excellent value, with prices starting at only £60.Smaller weddings benefit from this as well because there will be less guests to feed as a result of the reduced number of attendees.On the opposite end of the spectrum, five-tier wedding cakes might cost upwards of £1,000 each layer.It is possible that the price will be more if the cake is embellished with crystals and other luxury touches.
- In the end, the price of your wedding cake will be determined by its size, its structure, and its finish.
- Because each organization will have its own pricing structure, the costs will differ from one another.
Wedding cakes should be proportional to the amount of people that will be attending your wedding reception.Consider the following scenario: you have 100 guests and want a cake with at least 3 to 4 tiers, which would cost around £400.Your wedding cake designer will want this information in advance so that they can provide you with recommendations on the sort of size you’ll require as a bare minimum.Multiple levels for your wedding cake are doable, albeit they will be more expensive than a simpler design.
The design of your cake is where you can express yourself creatively and have a good time.There’s also the option to keep things simple, or even include your wedding’s general theme, into your invitations.Intricate wedding cake designs will be more expensive, not least because of the additional time required by the baker to complete them properly.Element such as intricate fondant fabric effects, piping designs, or other similar hand-painted embellishments would fall under this category.
It’s also vital to consider the cake’s base before proceeding. Traditional wedding cakes are made with fruit that must be allowed to develop before being served, which may result in a higher cost when compared to other sorts of mixtures. Alternatively, you may make a sponge cake, which has the advantage of allowing you to flavor it with any flavoring you like.
There are a variety of possibilities for your wedding cake, ranging from marzipan to royal icing, buttercream to ganache.The finish of your cake will have a significant influence on both the aesthetic presentation as well as the cost of your wedding cake.The more complicated the finishing, similar to the cake design, the more expensive it will be to execute them.The ‘naked’ wedding cake is a contemporary fad in which there is very little frosting on the outside of the cake.
It is important to remember the location of your wedding cake since your wedding cake maker will be responsible for delivering and setting up your cake at the venue.A baker who is located a long distance away from the event will charge you more money than a baker who is closer to the location.Check with them to be sure that travel and setup charges are included in their price before you commit to using their services.
Is it worth getting a Wedding Cake?
The final decision on whether or not to have a wedding cake prepared is entirely up to the couple.However, for the majority of couples, the wedding cake is the star of the show during their reception.Wedding cakes are likewise entrenched in tradition, and your guests will look forward to biting into them after the formality of the ceremony has concluded.Traditional wedding cakes are no longer the only option available; nowadays, there is something to fit everyone’s preferences.
- In addition, wedding cakes are delectable!
- With a beautifully prepared wedding cake, you may toast to your new marriage in style.
- Bark can help you identify local bakers that can produce a wedding cake masterpiece for you, whether you want a conventional fruit cake or a chocolate cake.
Wedding cake prices
The average wedding cake costs $300 to $800 for a three-tiered cake that feeds 100 to 150 people, depending on the style. Prices for wedding cakes range from $3 to $8 per person, depending on the size, number of tiers, layers, flavors, design, delivery method, and set-up required.
|Guests||Tiers*||Tier sizes||Average cost|
|25||2-Tier||8” + 6”||$100 – $240|
|50||2-Tier||10” + 6”||$150 – $300|
|60||2-Tier||10” + 8”||$170 – $350|
|75||3-Tier||10” + 8” + 6”||$250 – $500|
|100||3-Tier||12” + 8” + 6”||$280 – $630|
|120||3-Tier||14” + 10” + 6”||$350 – $800|
|130||4-Tier||12” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$500 – $860|
|150||3-Tier||16” + 10” + 6”||$460 – $820|
|175||3-Tier||16” + 12” + 8”||$540 – $850|
|175||4-Tier||14” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$570 – $850|
|200||4-Tier||16” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$600 – $1,300|
|225||5-Tier||14” + 12” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$800 – $1,500|
|250||5-Tier||16” + 14” + 10” + 8” + 6”||$850 – $1,700|
|300||5-Tier||16” + 14” + 12” + 8” + 6”||$900 – $2,000|
*This does not include an optional additional layer for the wedding couple to save money.
Average wedding cake cost
The typical cost of a wedding cake for 100 to 150 guests is shown in the following table.
|National average cost||$500|
|Average cost range||$300 to $800|
The cost information comes from research and project costs that have been disclosed by Fash members. Find the most talented wedding cake designers in your area. Pros can be found here.
Average wedding cake cost per person or serving
In the United States, the typical wedding cake costs $3 to $8 per attendee. A basic cake with classic flavors and a straightforward design may be purchased for as little as $1.50 per slice, while a cake with various gourmet tastes, unusual fillings, and complex decorations can be purchased for as much as $15 each piece.
- The average cost of a wedding cake per person Type of wedding cake The cost per person is Simple $1.50 – $4.50 per pound Vanilla or chocolate cake with standard tastes and fillings
- buttercream icing
- round or square cake form
- Customized prices range from $5.00 to $8.00. Flavored frosting
- a more intricate frosting decoration
- certain high-end tastes or fillings such as ice cream or cream cheese
- Designers are priced from $9.00 and $15.00. Flavors that are gourmet or unusual
- Various taste and filling combinations are available.
- Cakes and tiers that are uniquely formed
- The intricate pattern work on the icing
- Specialty cakes that are vegan or gluten-free
Return to top
Wedding cake pricing chart by tiers
- A 2-tier wedding cake ranges in price from $100 to $350 and feeds 25 to 60 people.
- A three-tier wedding cake ranges in price from $250 to $850 and feeds 75 to 175 guests.
- The majority of the tiers are circular cakes measuring 6 inches, 8 inches, 10 inches, or 12 inches in diameter. Single-tier wedding cakes range in size from 6″ to 14″ in diameter and can be as tall as 10″.
- Some couples choose to include an extra tier to take home with them.
|1-Tier||8 – 75||$50 – $180|
|2-Tier||25 – 60||$100 – $350|
|3-Tier||75 – 175||$250 – $850|
|4-Tier||150 – 200||$500 – $1,300|
|5-Tier||250 – 300||$800 – $2,000|
*Tier heights ranging from 4 to 6 inches. There is no no-cut top layer included in this price. Single-tier wedding cakes can be up to 14″ in diameter and 10″ in height.
Wedding cake tier serving sizes chart
1″ x 2″ slices of wedding cake are the traditional serving size. Because some portions may be sliced bigger than typical and some guests may accept more than one slice, plan on serving 5 percent to 10 percent more than you anticipate.
|Cake shape||Tier size (inches wide)||Wedding servings|
Return to top
Wedding cake cost calculator
- The majority of bakeries use a portion or all of the consultation and tasting costs toward the cost of the wedding cake. A number of other elements influence the final pricing.. An expert baker will charge more than a beginner baker or the bakery at the local big box store
- Bakery Supplies
- Labor – The majority of the cake cost is determined by the complexity of the design. Sugar flowers, fondant sculpting, elaborate lacework, and cakes in unusual forms and sizes need a greater investment of time and effort than a circular cake with basic embellishments.
- Ingredients and flavors — Expensive ingredients, gourmet flavors and fillings, and speciality cakes such as vegan or allergen-free wedding cakes are more expensive than traditional vanilla or chocolate wedding cakes.
- The use of fondant or gum paste can increase the cost of a slice by $0.50 to $1.00 or more each slice.
- Different flavor and filling combinations in each tier cost more than a single set of standard flavors and fillings used throughout the cake
- Cake size and number of tiers – Larger cakes with more tiers require more ingredients and take more time to produce, resulting in higher costs. The cost is also affected by the height of the tiers.
- On average, an additional $20 to $60 is spent on top tiers, which is customarily left uncut for the bride and groom’s enjoyment at home.
- Location – Bakers in major metropolitan areas such as New York or Los Angeles sometimes charge 25 percent more than the national average.
- Equipment rental – It is possible that cake stands and cutting equipment will not be provided. Some bakeries also provide cake topper rental services.
- If delivery and setup are not included, the cost ranges from $40 to $100 or more, depending on the location and distance to the venue.
- Cake-cutting costs — Some venues charge a cake-cutting fee ranging from $1 to $8 each slice, depending on the location.
Wedding cake consultation and tasting expenses are often applied to the total cost of the wedding cake by most bakeries.A number of other elements influence the final cost.An expert baker will charge more than a beginner baker or the bakery at your local large box shop.Bakery Supplies
Most of the cake cost is determined by the complexity of the design.
- A circular cake with modest ornamentation requires less time and effort than a cake with sugar flowers, fondant sculptures, delicate lacework, and a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Ingredients and flavors — Expensive ingredients, gourmet flavors and fillings, and specialized cakes such as vegan or allergen-free wedding cakes are more expensive than traditional vanilla or chocolate wedding cake.
- The use of fondant or gum paste can increase the cost of a slice by $0.50 to $1.00 or more.
- Different flavor and filling combinations in each layer cost more than a single set of standard flavors and fillings used throughout the cake; Layers
tiers and the size of the cake – Larger cakes with more tiers require more ingredients and require more time to prepare.
- Cost is also affected by the height of the tiers.
- On average, an additional $20 to $60 is spent on top tiers, which is customarily left uncut for the bride and groom.
- Geographical location – Bakers in major metropolitan areas such as New York or Los Angeles sometimes charge 25 percent more than the national average.
- Equipment rental – It is possible that cake stands and cutting equipment will not be included in your package.
- Rental of cake toppers is also available from some bakeries.
The cost of delivery and setup, if not included, ranges from $40 to $100 or more, depending on the location and distance from the venue.The cost of cutting the cake varies from $1 to $8 a slice, depending on the venue.
Wedding cake cost by layers
The majority of wedding cakes contain 2 to 3 layers of cake and 1 to 2 layers of filling per tier.Some bakers use additional layers and vary the thickness of the layers according to customer preference.Wedding cakes are generally comprised of one to three tiers, with each tier holding numerous layers of cake and filling, depending on the style.When it comes to wedding cakes, the terms ″tier″ and ″layer″ are occasionally used interchangeably in the same sentence.
- Make sure you and your baker agree on the number of tiers, layers of cake, and filling you want in each tier before proceeding.
Simple vs. designer wedding cake prices
- Classic flavors such as vanilla or chocolate, buttercream frosting, and a simple design are all priced between $1.50 to $4.50 a slice for a basic wedding cake with a simple design. Designer wedding cakes range in price from $9 to $15 per dish, depending on the flavors, fillings, and level of ostentation used. For each additional unique flavor or filling, an additional $0.25 to $1.00 per slice (or more) is charged.
- It is common for fondant icing to cost twice as much as buttercream
- designer wedding cake ingredients include gourmet tastes, sophisticated or intricate fondant icing, sugar flowers, hand painting, and distinctive sculpted shapes
Wedding table cakes prices list
Depending on the size, flavor and icing selection, and the amount of layers and contents, wedding table cakes can range from $20 to $190 in price. Individual cakes on stands are often less expensive than a single cake constructed with numerous levels since there is less effort required. The cost of renting or purchasing a display stand may rise as a result.
|Table cake size||Servings||Average cost|
|6″ round||12||$20 – $60|
|8″ round||24||$40 – $120|
|10″ round||38||$50 – $160|
|12″ round||56||$60 – $190|
Wedding sheet cake prices
Wedding sheet cakes range in price from $0.40 to $1.20 each slice, or $70 to $180 for a full sheet cake. Reduce your overall expenditures by purchasing a smaller tiered cake for show purposes (cake-cutting, pictures, etc.) and serving the guests from a kitchen sheet cake with the same icing and flavors as the display cake.
|Sheet cake size||Servings||Average cost|
|¼ sheet||54||$30 – $65|
|½ sheet||108||$45 – $100|
|Full sheet||192||$70 – $180|
Mini or small wedding cakes cost
Mini wedding cakes range in price from $10 to $20 per serving and are single-serving cakes that provide a distinctive display aspect.The cost of 150 tiny wedding cakes ranged from $1,500 to $3,000.Bakers charge extra because of the additional time spent baking, decorating, setting up, and transporting their products.A little wedding cake for each table costs between $20 and $60 per cake and can help you save money on centerpieces.
- Cakes for centerpiece table cakes are approximately 6″ in diameter and 1 layer in height.
- Cover it with a transparent dome to keep it from getting damaged throughout the meal.
- It is not advisable to serve centerpiece cakes in weddings with children.
- Select multiple flavors for your centerpiece cakes and place them on a separate table for slicing and serving so that guests may choose their favorite taste without having to ask someone else at the table.
Wedding cake delivery charges
The cost of wedding cake delivery ranges from $40 to $100 or more, depending on the location, distance to the venue, and amount of setup necessary. Some bakeries include the cost of delivery and setup in the price of the wedding cake. It is typical to tip delivery personnel in the range of $5 to $25 per person.
Wedding cupcakes and desserts prices
Wedding cupcakes cost $2 to $6 per person for 1 to 1.5 cupcakes each attendee, depending on the size of the wedding party.On average, the cost of a wedding dessert table ranges from $5 to $11 per guest.Some dessert bar packages contain a miniature cutting cake, cake pops or cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pastries, doughnuts, and other desserts as part of the box.Return to the top of the page
Frequently asked questions
How much do grooms’ cakes cost?
Groom’s cakes can range in price from $1 to $8 per slice or more, depending on the size, flavors, and design of the cake. The size of the cake is determined by when it is served. A typical rule of thumb is to serve 12 slices each person if the wedding cake is served beside it, or 1 piece per guest if the rehearsal dinner is served with it.
Why are wedding cakes so expensive?
Wedding cakes are expensive due to the high quality of the ingredients used, as well as the time and talent necessary to make them.The amount is influenced by the size, flavors, level of intricacy, and business name.A one-of-a-kind, intricate design from a well regarded cake shop would cost far more than a plain cake with standard tastes from a chain store bakery, according to the experts.
How to save money on a wedding cake
- There are a variety of options for creating a budget-friendly wedding cake: ″Deconstructed″ design — Placing each layer on a separate stand rather than stacking and decorating one enormous cake may result in a cost savings of up to 25% compared to the traditional design.
- Fresh flowers – Handmade sugar flowers can add $5 to $25 per stem, or more, to the cost of fresh flowers. Flowers that are in season and fresh are more cost-effective. In certain cases, leftover flowers from bouquets or centerpieces might be provided by the florist at no additional charge, resulting in a more coherent effect.
- Buttercream frosting is the most cost-effective option, because it is far less expensive than fondant. Cakes that are ″naked″ or ″semi-naked″ require less icing, however they may or may not be less expensive because some bakers take extra time to get the desired aesthetic.
- Negotiate — If the cost of the wedding cake is included in the venue’s event contract, consider asking to get the cutting charge removed or reduced.
- Pick it up yourself – By picking up the cake yourself, you can save anywhere from $40 to $100 or more on the delivery price. Pickup also eliminates the need to tip a delivery team, but it necessitates extreme caution and accuracy in order to transport it safely to the site.
- Reduce the number of distinctive elements – various cake and frosting tastes, elaborate and lavish patterns – because each one raises the cost by $0.25 to $1.00 per slice or more. Simplify the design – Choose traditional flavors, a straightforward design, and one or two layers for a cake that is both beautiful and affordable.
- Servings that are half the size of complete slices increase the number of guests served at the same price as whole slices. Smaller cake pieces are a frequent approach to save money because many guests just consume a bite or two of the cake
Due to the fact that the decoration time and material costs are nearly identical to those of an actual cake, faux or dummy cakes made of Styrofoam lower the total cost by just a small percentage.
Do Walmart and Costco make wedding cakes?
Wedding cakes from Walmart range in price from $30 to $165, depending on the size and style.Walmart provides a variety of cake shapes, including round, sheet cake, and 2-to-3-tiered alternatives.Although the taste and design options are adjustable, they are more limited than those available at a speciality bakery.It is possible to place orders online up to 30 days in advance.
- Costco does not specialize in wedding cakes or cakes with several tiers.
- They do, however, provide sheet cakes starting at $20 that may be personalized for a wedding reception or party.
- Sheet cakes from Costco are being used by some DIY-savvy couples to mak